Europe PS3 sales 'overtake 360'

Astraeus

I think it's been coming for some time now. The PS3 is more reliable and quieter - the latter contributing greatly to its appeal as an all-round entertainment unit for the living room. Like it said in that BBC report, the XBox 360 seems to be the reserve of dedicated gamers with little mass appeal.

AJUK

Novice Member
I thought more people would be interested in this, the ps3 has only been out half the time of the 360 too.

It was also interesting to see that the ps3 version amounted 45% of the sales for gta 4 (worldwide) even though they have alt less consoles out there than microsoft. I think there will also be a rise in ps3 sales when mgs4 comes out, as it is the first big 'exclusive' sequal to come out on the console.

CH_Peter

Now that the "format war" is over, anyone looking for a BD player would be foolish not to get a PS3, IMHO. This news shouldn't be that surprising and Sony are looking quite smug now after banking on BD and PS3.

AJUK

Novice Member
Now that the "format war" is over, anyone looking for a BD player would be foolish not to get a PS3, IMHO. This news shouldn't be that surprising and Sony are looking quite smug now after banking on BD and PS3.

It's quite funny how after the launch sony was getting a right hammering about poor sales etc, but now they must be laughing their heads off.

I bet Nintendo are laughing a whole lot louder though making money on every machine sold from day 1 :D

Nope, sony are making a shed load on PS2 consoles and still selling more PS2's than Wii's and have sold over 125million consoles world wide, so Sony are laughing harder :D

Also, Nintendo weren't making money from day one. Yes, they sold the console for more than it cost to make (unlike PS3) but you have to remember that development costs were obvisouly millions of pounds in the first place

It was also interesting to see that the ps3 version amounted 45% of the sales for gta 4 (worldwide) even though they have alt less consoles out there than microsoft..

Have you got a link for this mate? Not doubting you, just interested in the read :)

tigandken

Novice Member
Once you get past the irritating hyperbole of M$ and $ony who often seem like school kids arguing over who's Dad is better, it's certainly looking like M$ are on the wane, and that $ony's Dad's new Golf and could beat M$'s Dad's Fiesta. Sure, it's a Fiesta sport with ABS and a good stereo - but it's still a Fiesta.

Jay

Banned
Hopefully this will lead to multi-platform games being developed with the ps3 as the lead platform, there have been a couple of games that have, but on the whole the ps3 is still the home of slightly inferior ports.

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Hopefully this will lead to multi-platform games being developed with the ps3 as the lead platform, there have been a couple of games that have, but on the whole the ps3 is still the home of slightly inferior ports.

Spot on there. I have heard from several development teams in interviews that say its easier to port to 360 then the other way round. If they all lead with the PS3 we will all be happy gamers. I think Lucasarts was one of the high profile development houses that said this.

Brutos

It's quite funny how after the launch sony was getting a right hammering about poor sales etc, but now they must be laughing their heads off.

I think what it shows is that the PS3 was to expensive when first released, now it's at a reasonable price it's selling well.

Hopefully now they can concentrate on the games.

Sonic67

Banned
Nope, sony are making a shed load on PS2 consoles and still selling more PS2's than Wii's and have sold over 125million consoles world wide, so Sony are laughing harder :D
The Wii is still the only console to be selling at its launch price, the DS is also selling better than the PSP and that doesn't even take into account Wii Fit.

Also, Nintendo weren't making money from day one. Yes, they sold the console for more than it cost to make (unlike PS3) but you have to remember that development costs were obvisouly millions of pounds in the first place
Because the PS3 had no development costs? I'd have thought the Wii was easier to develop than a PS3. The Wii is a Game Cube with a tilt sensitive remote. Blu-ray...

Kit123

Novice Member
Once you get past the irritating hyperbole of M$ and $ony who often seem like school kids arguing over who's Dad is better, it's certainly looking like M$ are on the wane, and that $ony's Dad's new Golf and could beat M$'s Dad's Fiesta. Sure, it's a Fiesta sport with ABS and a good stereo - but it's still a Fiesta.

I think you better shut up, my Dad's a bodybuilder and he could crush you in one second. Seriously, he doesn't even need a car - he can run faster than a Golf.

runam0k

Hardly. PS3 will never dominate the market the way PS2 did. Sony sacrificed market share for Blu Ray.

nick501

Distinguished Member
For me, i bought the ps3 primarily as a blu-ray player. I suppose in reality i was hoping that the ps3 would be an 'upgrade' in gaming experience from my (getting slightly stale) 360.

as it turns out, I feel the ps3 is an obvious down grade as a gaming platform atm.

Happy with the blu-ray playback though.

wondering how many of these extra sales were in the same position as me, a fair few i'd say at a guess.

Idioteque

For me, i bought the ps3 primarily as a blu-ray player. I suppose in reality i was hoping that the ps3 would be an 'upgrade' in gaming experience from my (getting slightly stale) 360.

as it turns out, I feel the ps3 is an obvious down grade as a gaming platform atm.

Happy with the blu-ray playback though.

wondering how many of these extra sales were in the same position as me, a fair few i'd say at a guess.

I'm in the same boat really. Brought my ps3 as mainly a blu-ray player, with the ps3 exclusives being an added bonus.

To be honest though im not fussed about who sells what and by how much. The games are the things that matter, probably at the moment the 360 has a stronger gaming line up, but the ps3 will get good games this year so it will be something to enjoy.

N

NickMon

Every one I know that has a PS3 uses it mainly for a Blu-Ray player, then a games machine if at all.

Its no wonder the sales are climbing now the HD format war is over. People want a cheap blu-ray that can be upgraded the PS3 is the only one out there that can.

I'm picking up a PS3 in next two weeks for blu-ray. More than happy playing games on the 360 and wii.

Hell the only game on PS3 I fancy is rachet and Crank...

Sorry.

SportiveUK

Novice Member
Every one I know that has a PS3 uses it mainly for a Blu-Ray player, then a games machine if at all.
Snap. I have not actually played a game on mine yet (owend it for 3 months) but it upscales SD DVDs and plays BR Discs wonderfully!

I still think the overall Xbox 360 gaming experience (i.e. achievements, Live etc) is better but I have been very impressed at how the PS3 works as a general entertainment device, of which BR/DVD playback is one of its many talents.

For the majority, the PS3 is the way to get into HD movie watching....

Craigy

Distinguished Member
PS3 is mainly a Blu-ray player as well for me, although I do buy games from time to time, I usually play on other systems.

My dad is also getting a PS3 as a movie player, he will never play a game on it though.

Nice little gadget.

Kahled

Novice Member
Think this is far more to do with the resolution of the HD format war than any merit of the PS3 as a games machine. Bit premature to start talking any dominance as a gaming console until game sales start to exceed the other console alternatives as a norm... far too many people will make use of the PS3 only for BD/DVD so probably a far more noteworthy piece of news for the HD forums than gaming forums.

Congrats to Sony though on what is quite an achievement when viewed purely as number of units sold.

Bit premature to start talking any dominance as a gaming console until game sales start to exceed the other console alternatives as a norm... .

GTA IV numbers sold 55% on xbox and 45% on PS3. Not bad seeing xbox had a 16month headstart and can only manage 5% more in sales.

far too many people will make use of the PS3 only for BD/DVD .

Not at all. All of my mates (aged from 18-23, myself included) play soley for games. Heck, I am the only one with it connected to the internet lol

You have to look outside the box, most people who post on the net, spesh here, are obvisously into technology. So a BluRay player would appeal to them and a PS3 is a good choice for one.

So on here, yes, many people may have PS3 soley for BluRay, but that is not the case for all those 14+yr old gamers, or anyone else who is not really that much into tech.

Example..The amount of people I have talked to down the pub (on a random drunken mission lol) have talked about playing COD4 on the PS3, and I'm always like "Oh add me and give me a game sometime" they don't even know what I'm talking about or simply say something along the lines of "*#@* that online geek stuff" lol So I doubt they bought a PS3 for BluRay

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Falcon Acoustics launches Q7 speaker kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Dolby honoured by National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
  • By Andy Bassett