Europa League winners to get Champions League spot

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
From 2015 the Europa League winner will gain entry into the next seasons CL.

Sounds like just another gimmick to make the competition sound more attractive IMO.

I mean how often is the Europa won by a team who don't qualify for the CL anyway? Especially with the teams dropping down from the CL group stages.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
I mean how often is the Europa won by a team who don't qualify for the CL anyway? Especially with the teams dropping down from the CL group stages.

2012. atletico madrid won, 5th in la liga
2010 - atletic madrid won, 9th in la liga
2008 - zenit st petersburh won, 5th in league
2006 - sevilla, th in league

so seemingly every other year at the moment, plus a lot of teams wont be trying as hard as the rewards are not enough

Steven

Senior Moderator
Thread title changed because UEFA are merely considering the change

Go back to old days of league winners playing each other

And everyone else in a separate competition. Would restore prestige and interest in one fell swoop

But too much money and self-interest in the game now

Coffin

Distinguished Member
Is this confirmed?

Will they go into the competition proper or qualifying rounds..

It's a valuable incentive as qualifying for the CL and participating in the default 6 televised group games is more profitable than winning the Europa Cup!

Edit: Steven posted as I fumbled on my iPhone! :)

Edit 2: SSN reporting it's already agreed and to be formally announced tomo

Last edited:

Steven

Senior Moderator
They should go further and stop 3rd place drop-downs to the Europa League (as pointless a re-branding as any)

jdevil

Distinguished Member
IMO this is the best move ever for the competition, there's plenty of worthy teams in Europa that will give the top teams a good run for their money.

BomoLad

So if the winner, runners up, and both losing semi-finalists have qualified domestically already, what happens?

DrWise

Banned
Yeah finalised now

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom