Eurogamer interview with SCEE Boss, David Reeves (Warning, long read)

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Deleted member 92943, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a long interview but i find it quite interesting and almost arrogant from SONY. Also, i now don't think there will be a PS3 price drop till maybe september. Sales are slow in the summer anyway so why drop the price before then.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I thought David Reeves came across quite fair and realistic. The questions were fairly boring though. I would have liked questions about ps2 compatibility returning, developer problems with the hardware and xbox 360 outperforming the ps3 graphically etc. Maybe a question or two about 45nm chipsets.

3. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +954
    I didn't find any thing about that arrogant, he seemed to be given a realistic view of things.

4. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    Fairly good read.

Reeves seems like a good bloke. Good to see Sony are going after new IP's themselves rather than getting a third party to come up with something. Hopefully that'll produce games tailored to the ps3 hardware resulting in much goodness for us.

He's made the PS3 sound quite good with regards to sales and userbase, although it sounds like the PSP is dying a slow death, wonder what the "stong" line up for 2009 is though...

He loses one credit point for saying this though "I've heard people in GAME say, 'But this one's got Home. I've heard of that, I'll buy that.' I don't know how many people buy PS3 because of Home, but I'd like to think it's a lot.". I'd be gobsmacked if the primary reason for anyone buying a PS3 was HOME.

5. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I agree. But I think given the amount of time, money and PR they have invested in it, he kind of has to say that. It is rubbish though :D

6. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    You lose a credit point too for trying to rationalise his answer :p

Seriously though, you're right. He can't really say any negative about it. It's got the potential to generate a lot of revenue for Sony.

7. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I'm sure he could of/should of come up with a better context for it than - "I've heard people in GAME say, 'But this one's got Home. I've heard of that, I'll buy that." Stretches credulity imho.

8. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +954
    yeah I wouldn't go as far to say it would be the primary reason certainly not as it is now, I wouldn't think Xbox live is the main reason for getting a 360 either so that does seem a strange thing to say, but hey maybe some people do get the systems for those reasons, although i have yet to know someone who has

9. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the part i thought was Arrogant. Home is certainly not a system shifter in my book.

I'll agree that the questions asked were a bit naff

10. catisfit

catisfit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    This was my favourite. It's barely 2 years old :D

11. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    Why do these media outlets seem to find it necessary to provoke stuff like this. I dislike eurogamer for a few reasons but it's baiting questions like these that annoy the most. It's refreshing to see a mature response so kudos for that :thumbsup:

12. humanfish

humanfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    It is a valid question to be honest, although yes they are looking for a headline. To be honest though it was a stupid statement to make by Hirai in the sense a hoo haa was bound to blow up.

I thought the interview was quite good, they didn't shy away from asking some good questions that other sites might not have done. The questions about market place arrogance, the question about an avarage consumer, the questions on the psp and the poor line up and also the questions of exclusivity, particularly MGS. I found the answers quite interesting. I can't believe they wouldn't splash a bit of cash to keep MGS exclusive.

13. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Konami hadn't been approached already about MGS4 on the XBOX then i bet they have now after SONY said that

14. catisfit

catisfit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    If it wasn't misreported in the first place on sites like Eurogamer, it wouldn't be an issue. It was clearly annotated as a joke made by Hirai in the original transcript.

I personally thought that he was joking about the RROD troubles when he said "lacks longevity".

But hey, headlines are more important :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  15. Fifty

Fifty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Two quotes stood out for me.

Firstly :

Team ICO better be what you're referring to Dave, or there'll be trouble.

Secondly :

Europe certainly will make money despite the fact Sony treats the region like a distant relative with scurvy. How about Sony realises that the EU is getting a little sick and tired of being shafted time and time again and think, hang on, these guys are showing us stupid levels of commitment, maybe we could give them something back. Never gonna happen, I know, but still.

Christ, most people in Europe would just be happy with SFII HD on the store.

16. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I'm not sick of SCEE per-sa, just the fact that we seemed to be lumped with 4 other continents:

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, based in London, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and sales of PS one and PlayStation 2 hardware and software in 104 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania

That's 102 more than SCEA. :eek:

17. humanfish

humanfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    When put like that you can understand the situation, all those different languages. You would have though't they might lump the UK with the US, at least unofficially.

In terms of games yet to be announced, could it not be stuff like God of War and Uncharted. I know they have been announced but have they been given a firm release date yet? Hopefully it's somethign new but after lack lustre shows with no surprises i would expect it more likely to be something we already know of for sure unofficially.

18. Fifty

Fifty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Wow, thanks.

And there was me thinking that, this being Sony, Europe meant just Europe.

19. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Yeah they speak funny down in Oz and New Zealand, i wonder how long it takes to translate games into sheep?! :eek:

20. Fastolfe

Fastolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I think home was more of a selling point before the beta was launched :eek:...but fair play to Reeves...