1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro1080 sports rights

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ajb, Jan 4, 2004.

1. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys

I have emailed Euro1080 a few times and not had a reply... has anyone called or faxed them and received a reply?

My main query is whether they actually own the HD rights to Euro2004 and the Olympics? Not quite sure what the BBC would make of the Olympics being available to UK-based viewers on another platform.

Regards
    Andrew

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The great thing about TV rights for any material is that they can be broken down into so many different products.
    Free To Air for analogue terrestrial, FTA on satellite(FTV as well for the UK), subscription on closed cable networks and subscription (hard and soft) on satellite platfroms and PAY services for all platforms.
    As to the question EURO1080 are still a little vague about the Footy and Olympics but I don't see any reason why they can't broadcast some of the two events. Both of the organisations surely must see the potential in supporting and shaping the format in it's youth.

Right now any broadcaster that has bought the rights for standard definition digital and analogue distribution of the 2004 Footy will not care that a few thousand people across Europe can watch the event in High Def.
    Even if they made a fuss I suspect the marketing departments of UEFA and the IOC have already set aside HD rights as a seperate entity which have no impact on the traditional broadcast mediums.
    After all the US and other countries want HD sources and the BBC provide HD Wimbledon coverage for NBC already.

It is after all in everyones interests that EURO1080 nuture and encourage the acceptance of HD as it will become a major revenue source in the long term for both content providers and broadcasters.

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did but the answer (on my second email) was some prepared pdf with infos and FAQ
    (I asked something about hardware)

Let's hope they will move the others to start the same .........