1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro1080 MPEG4 STB

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sprattgraham, Oct 14, 2005.

1. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28

Attached Files:

2. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I was going to get the Philips Cineos DSR 9005 - but have changed the order to the Pace as it has DISEcQ 1.2 - rather than 1.1 which the Philips has. It's also British!

Got mine on order already from Switzerland and just had a routine maintenance done on dish ready for the feast. A new 0.3 dB LNB to replace a 0.6 and slight lift due to droop (don't we all know that feeling).

Strange that although I'm getting fantastic reception on Turksat 42E through to Amos 4W - 3 of the German channels have become unwatcheable on Astra 19.2.

They are all owned by the same company and are Pro7, Sat1 and Kabel1. 85% quality signal (1m dish!) but constant breakup (pixellation). Now is it that 2 of those will be broadcasting hi-def from 26 October and they have a hi-def signal piggy backed on their sat signal - causing this?

They always used to be rock solid and it has been this way for about 2 months. I've switched off Dolby Digital in case......

H :(

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Is any of the arcs HD content in English at all. What sort of programming are you finding?
    I have a motorised 1.2 metere FIBO dish that blew its motor long ago. I am currently fabbing up a alternative way of moving the dish using a normal 12" actuator. Hopefully have it all done by the weekend. I would be interested in checking out some of theis HD. I have a skystar 2 which has been gathering dust since my dish broke which I will install once again.

cheers
    Daz

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    £360 is too expensive for a non PVR box IMO and I'd like to know what Euro1080's plans are for the Sky HD platform before I buy anything...

5. jibberjabber

jibberjabber
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Perhaps should wait for the Humax PDR-H1000 that i believe has a HDD should be released very soon. :D

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Indeed and if the SKY+ HD is £400 then well not a bargin but certainly acceptable:)

It would be foolish for EURO1080 not to be carried on the SKY platfrom since the hardware requirments match, it's just a question of both parties coming to a deal either as a standalone (vidoguard encrypted broadcast) or part of a SKY bundled package taking a slice of the HD subscription.

The latter being the more practical option based on the actual subscription cost of EURO1080's output while still having their Irdeto based service running for other markets.

7. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    THere should be a 'do eveything box' which gets Sky HD and any other HD broadcast in the future

8. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Rigman,

Most of the upcoming HD services due this month to Christmas will be in German or French. As a German/French speaker I don't mind.

However I currently receive the MULTICHOICE channels on TPS (French) and they often have a seperate English soundtrack. Hopefully the hi-def TPS service may - but no guarantee.

H

9. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I believe the cost of the Pace box via Euro 1080/HD1 includes the CA card, which is normally around £120. Compare that with Sky's offering at ca£400 with Sky HD subscription at ca £350-£400pa and the HD1 alternative does not look so costly, especially as you will be able to use it to receive multiple providers' material. Would a Sky HD box allow you to watch ProSieben, Canal+, Premiere etc?

10. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Tony has a point - I suspect that the forthcoming Sky HD+ box will be like their current offerings - in that only a restricted FEC and symbol rate will be included. With a Digibox you are thus restrcited to what channels you can pick up if you swing the dish around.

A lot of services on Astra 19 and Hotbird do use the same symbol/FEC as Sky - but there are a heck of a lot more that don't - especially on the Turksat, Hellas sats and the like.

H

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Indeed, I didn't think of that but a EURO1080 sub doesn't even come close to not having dual tuners and integrated hard drive recording so on balance the price is comparable.

As for the SKY HD sub well that would be a factor IF you were not already a subscriber, I am and therefore any HD sub will be an addon and thus have no real impact on my final decision (unless we are talking silly money:) ).

Not interested in multisat although obviously I recognise the choices it gives both the english speaking viewer and a multilingual household but all I want is a STB that can receive SKY and FTA broadcasts and has a workable EPG and bitstream recording.
    The only time I might consider a non SKY alternative is if there was a genuine SKY supported NDS Videoguard CAM for use in HD receiver and it also had a fully supported EPG equal or superior to SKY.

It would certainly shock the sat community if the SKY+ HD did indeed come with a CI slot:)

12. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The price at the start Thread is only the STB no card.

The price of the STB with the card is:

€595.00
    £405.00

http://shop.euro1080.tv/productdetail.php?articleno=24&catno=11&priceno=1

13. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    If that price frightens you for a HiDef box, have a look at the ReelBox Avantgarde (£999 when it's released in the new year). Mind you it has DVD drive, 4 tuners, DVB-S2, H264/MPEG4, WLAN etc.etc. It's like a Dreambox on steroids. I have nicknamed it the "Wet Dreambox" :)

http://www.reelbox.co.uk/reelbox-information.htm

It was demo'd on Dr Dish's prgoramme on Hotbird tonight. He set up recording of 4 channels whilst watching a fifth.
    Can also take DVB-T tuner modules.
    Will certainly work on Euro1080/ HD1 .
    Basically a Linux PC job.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

14. Dave5118

Dave5118

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very nice!

But will it do 4:2:2 ? :devil:

15. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    4:2:2 ?
    I doubt it - but only way to find out is to try it when it's released, I guess.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

16. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes it is very nice and not too bad a price for a media centre with all of the features it has. It is not £999 but £850. It says so in the FAQ's.

Probably hugely bug ridden though for the first couple of firmware updates though as these things seem to be.

Are you getting one then Chris?

17. jibberjabber

jibberjabber
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My QS1080IRCI does 4:2:2 it's the only one that does so far as i'm aware. :eek:

18. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The one with out the CI also does it QS1080IR.

I don't know if the PACE Mpeg2 does it.

19. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    I am unlikely to be getting one.
    I already have most of the features - only they are in a PC.
    I also have a Tandberg System 3000 (19" rack mount) STB that does 4:2:2 (but only MPEG2) and a number of other STBs.
    I will, however, be keeping an eye on what other purchasers think of them.
    I agree that there are likely to be plenty of bugs initially.
    Similarly I never really fancied a Dreambox and this box is more a less a "Dreambox on steroids" anyway.

Chris Muriel,Manchester