1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro1080 Event channel vs Main Channel?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rogeralpine, Feb 5, 2004.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like "home" users will only be able to access the Main channel and that the Event channel will be restricted for corporate use eg. cinemas etc.. Have I got this correct - or will home users have the facility to "buy" these events on the Event channel?

The way I see it all the good stuff will go via the Event channel - to raise revenue (obviously) - and the run of the mill programmes/re-runs will go via the Main channel. This sucks a bit as I can see events like Euro2004 footy going via the Event channel only - could they not provide home users access to the Event channel (at a cost), or is the broadcast a different animal (geared up for storage overnight etc?)

Apart from Euro1080, what other HD material is available and perhaps more importantly, are any other provider's programme line up's any good?

With 1080's line up being slated for encryption from May, are most of you going to reside yourselves to a set-top box and card or is there (will there?) be a way to utilise a PC. Either way I've got to buy one or the other as my exsiting PC isn't up to it (PIII 500) I wouldn't want to buy a new PC now if it were unable to receive transmissions come May due to encryption.

I'm chomping at the bit here to get into the HD market but things at the mo seem to be moving very slowly and information isn't really forthcoming.