Euro weekend in mid jan, where to go?

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by jamesvtidohc, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Alright all?

So I fancy going away to somewhere in Europe for the weekend for my birthday during mid Jan.

Needs to have a few bars and clubs, sight seeing through the day and a hostel near by to the town.

Already been Paris, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Geneve, Madrid, Milan and Antwerp so looking to go somewhere different.

Also, budget for ticket will be 120 (lower the better of course) and hostel at about 10-15 pppn.

Thanks.

(P.S. Im a single male under 30 so dont mind any raunchy suggestions (but Im not basing the trip on it, just somewhere fun that has a fair few places to visit and take pics)).

2. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    any of you guys been to Munich, Berlin or Budapest?

3. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Live in Munich area so biased, but it's a top place! Also was in Budapest in October, again a great place. Also what about Rome, or Prague or Krakow?

4. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks Keith, will read more about it from your biased view ;)

Prague or Krakow is on the hit list for a mates stag in Q2. Rome is relatively one of the more expensive euro destinations from what Ive heard, plus as above, Im single...... Ill do Rome when my arms around a bird.

5. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +501
    All three. Berlin is fantastic, particularly if you are prepared to stay out later :) So much to see, very vibrant, and I found most everyone friendly. It would be my first choice of city to revisit I think, if I were a younger man/couple again :) Berlin kind of sells itself really.

Munich I didnt like so much. But I think my opinion is odd, as most people love it. Very sterile, clean city; beerhaus's etc are great, lovely feel to them. And, if you want to, the countryside and local region are well worth looking about. The Olympic park is worth spending an afternoon relaxing in.

Budapest is a city I have spent alot of time in. I love the city; but, whilst most younger people are friendly, you have to be careful with taxi drivers etc. I know the city well, and have had a few taxi drivers take me on "interesting" routes, designed to steal your money. Bars in courtyards, disused buildings, cheap food and drink (very flavoursome) are the best places to waste hours upon end, and the architecture is worth wondering around to look at. However, mid-Jan it will be COLD. And WET. And, alot of bars only open in the warmer months, as many are open air. BP is a great city anytime really, but it comes alive in the warmer times, with music, bars and festivals all over the place.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  6. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Brilliant, thank you Pisca.

On Keiths and your advice, I read more into and look for youtube, needless to say, looks like Im going Berlin in 2 weeks.

7. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Have a brilliant time, it's a great place to visit!

8. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Good choice. I didnt see half of it, we were only there 2 days and didnt get the full extent of nightlife as we only stayed out til 1am or so. Its a pretty safe city, or so I felt, so as long as you are central or near transport, you will be fine. There are usually free walking tours advertised if you want to see any of the history, just give the guide a tip at the end. And dont be put off straight away, as with any city, by outside appearance of bars/clubs. The best places are always to be found behind an innocuous looking door, or just off a main street :)

9. andyrobin3

andyrobin3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good suggestion and may be helpful for person who really wants services like this.

10. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +501
    How did you get on in Berlin, Mr vitdohc?