1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro HD1 Programming (or lack )

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Hellicopter, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So we are promised an exciting new channel from Sept. 1st.
    What do we get ? The same old boring loops.

According to the guide , we should now be watching motor racing.,What do we get? The same old....

According to the guide tomorrow we are getting absolutely nothing.The website is blank for next week.

Just what sort of an amateur organisation have we bought into?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The motorsport is a live event so unless they bracket the whole days racing like Motors TV is doing with the Snetterton meet you will get a lot of dead airtime or just filler material?

As for the rest well while the technical side is still impressive the organisation does seem to lack the expertise in channel managment and production:)
    Then again I suppose it depends upon what you were expecting for a nominal encryption fee.

3. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well I do not consider £150 a nominal amount and the deadtime in the racing was so long it never appeared ( unless somebody else knows different! )

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I do consider £150 to be a nominal amount compared to the cost of the associated hardware and the fact that it guarantees reception until 2010.
    Sorry but compared to SKY and Cable subscriptions it is quite cheap altough it's "value" will be very subjective:)

The ETCC was shown on Eurosport, running late as usual, the event just finished (17.55) but of course that just confirms the race was actually on and not that HD1 broadcast it.

5. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ironically the feed of the race was on 7e in 422 (via the Qualitv box) at the very time that that it should have been shown on HD1.I presume that they had not sorted out the rights.

At least when you pay for Sky, they broadcast what they say they are going to .

Look forward to receiving a cheque from you for this nominal amount of money and will be happy to donate it to a charity of your choice!

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A bit touchy aren't we?

I'm not accusing you of being a cheap skate or tight arse, I am just saying that approximatley £30 per year for the next 5 years can be considered "nominal" when viewed against other subscription channels. I also accept that the "value" of that subscription is open to interpretation and accept that you consider it a significant amount even if I don't.

7. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Surely because it is a new channel and the 1st commercial HDTV channel for Europe, we should give it some time to really get going, Alot of people here(including myself) appear to be early adapters of new technology, I suspect over the next while there may be some teething issues that we will have to bear with.

I have not yet subscribed to HD1, but plan to order my Skystar CI Card, Irdeto CAM and HD1 sub card when I get paid. I am expecting a few issues there, as the software will probably undergo a few revisions until everything is happy. I am more than happy to pay £30 per year, when you consider a monthly SKY subscription costs more, I forget what it is for the full package.

8. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm happy that I'm getting value for money. The stuff looks and sounds good. The programming has increased since Sept 1st. Considering I pay something like £40+ a month to Sky+ I'm happy that my long subscription with HD1 will be warranted in the future.
    I must admit I was looking forward to some HD motorsport today but it didn't happen, which is a shame.

9. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The guaranteed viewing until 2010 is meaningless if the channel goes off the air. There has been countless channels that have gone out of business in the past few years all over the arc.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    absolutely, but of course nothing is guaranteed. I dont mind putting a little faith into the equation. I like early adopting, it may be costly but its great fun and sometimes it pays off big time :)

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

That is quite true but like all early adoptors of technology you take the risk and don't moan about the price:)
    Like most products you look at the purchase price and then the life of the product/service IF everything goes well, if the results look positive then you pay the money up front and take your chances, if they don't you keep the cash or edge your bets somehow.
    Perhaps the same could be said of a mpegII based HD receiver:)

I suppose the fact that the channel is backed by a HD production and filming company with serious support from SES and HD panel manufacturer does at least give it some credibility, it's not as if it's one of the many el cheapo FTA channels that appear on SKY D with no obvious reasons for existence!
    Although it seems the program scheduling/listings are a bit patchy which it has in common with some long established channels:)

12. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    My thoughts exactly. I've been dealing with satellite TV long enough to know these prepaid deals never last. I'll consider myself lucky if I get at least a whole year of service from my newly acquired HD1 smartcard.

Euro1080/HD1 could very well stick around for much longer than that -- and I sincerely hope it does -- but not in its present form. Its business model will eventually have to change, and our measly €200 investment will certainly not last us until 2010. ;)

I'm not complaining about Euro1080 though. At least the folks at Alfacam took the initiative and are bringing us something in high def, even if they only carry programs I wouldn’t normally watch otherwise.

What bothers me is that 2004 is nearing its end and we are still at this early-adopter stage here in Europe, while HDTV is gaining widespread acceptance in North America, as well as parts of Asia and Oceania.

To give you an idea of how far behind we are, by winter 2001 the cable company I subscribed to back in Canada was already carrying half a dozen HD channels. These were simply HDTV versions of existing regular channels, carrying movies, TV series and sports in 1080i or 720p with DD 5.1 sound. And that was just the offer at the launch of their HDTV package; the number of channels has been rapidly increasing ever since.

IMHO, until broadcasters like Sky launch at least a few HD equivalents of their channels, this technology won’t even be on the average European viewer’s radar. And by then I fear it will already have been surpassed -- 1080p anyone? ;)

Cheers.

13. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Early adoptor, tell me about it
    I have a loft full of rubbish I should get rid off. Original CDi player which nuwerous games ineractive discs etc. I bought it on the day of release and it cost me a fortune. I also have D2Mac decoders. Analogue satellite receivers, Fimnet decoders, etc etc
    I bought an Xbox on launch day £299. Sky + soon after launch £299,
    I am tempted by HDTV as I have a dedicated room with a Barco 808s but I am not interested in any of the programming and it is a lot of money for a 5 minute novelty.

Hope the program does succeed and get better. The more the merrier I say. I just wish they would release a few more HD receivers with a proper 36 volt positioner built in.

14. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rigman,

I agree with the noveltything, come and have a look at my attick !
    But as you have a Barco 808s, as I do to, which by the way is very "old", almost antique equipment, you schould try HDTV on it.
    It will blow you away !!!!!!!!!!! I agree that the programming from Euro1080 has been lame since there launch 9 months ago. And i don't think they will improve. Wait for French TPS next year !
    Meanwhile there are dozens of great HD films to be downloaded via the newsgroups at "nominal" cost (ea sub to broadband service and newsprovider).
    You'll be amazed at how good Gladiator or Sleepy Hollow or Hollowman looks on your Barco in HDTV !!!

15. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Which reminds me that the existing QualiTV boxes will be useless for those channels. The TPS/TF1 HD channels might not even be in MPEG-2, since they've mentioned AVC/H.264 in numerous press releases.

But even if they come to their senses and decide to stick with MPEG-2 -- a proven, mature format -- you'll definitely need a Common Interface to subscribe to TPS. Existing boxes are either FTA-only or embedded Irdeto. :(

16. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    patience is a great virtue !

17. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I do hope that HD1 can find some way to bring us the stuff we want to see, Maybe we could create a poll, with categories such as films, sport, concerts and for shows such as Smallville, Alias and Enterprise.

Is it possible to create a poll here, I've seen it done in other sites. I'm curious to see specifically what other people want to see in HD.

I'll start here with Smallville, and films such as Matrix, Shrek. I'm not so bothered by sport.., maybe a few documentaries from DiscoveryHD as well.

I await to see what others want to see.

18. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Aligebes,

As I mentioned in another thread, none of those shows or movies you mentioned could ever be shown on HD1. Other European broadcasters already own the rights to them in their respective countries; and since HD1 is a pan-European channel it would infringe upon those rights.

High def and standard def TV rights are not handled differently by distributors. So if a broadcaster owns the SDTV rights for a particular country, it also owns the HDTV rights.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

19. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Abstrakt, I realize that the rights to most of these shows are already held, I was merely interested to see what shows etc people would like to see. Call it a wish list if you want.

Alot of the talk has been about HDTV, but not much on what people want to see on it.

20. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Aligebes,

Alright, in that case I'm game... :smashin: Here are the TV series I'd like to see in high def:
    The Wire, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Carnivàle, The Sopranos, The West Wing, Star Trek Enterprise.

All of those shows are currently available in HD. Of course they'll never be broadcast that way in Europe until the rights owners launch HD versions of their channels.

As for movies, HD versions of thousands of movies -- new and old -- are now available to broadcasters throughout the world. I'll take them all since I'm a film buff. :)

Cheers.

21. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You forgot to add all those older TV shows made on film that can be converted to HD. :)

How about the original Star Trek series in HD? :)

22. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Getting back to the issue of the current poor program content, here are my thoughts.
    About this time last year we were looking at the Euro1080 test loops and looking forward to the launch on Jan 1st 2004. One of the main reasons given by Euro1080 for picking 2004 were the big sports events taking place that year, Euro 2004 and the Olympics. They planned to bring us all this at a very reasonable price and I believe they were genuine, I never got the impression that they were trying to deceive us. Something went wrong behind the scenes, I don't know what. Then we saw many token HD broadcasts and test loops from other broadcasters. I often wonder, were these trying to establish themselves as HD providers in order to block Euro1080. I am only guessing here as I don't have a full understanding of how broadcast rights operate but I would hate to think that a few big broadcasters prevented a hand full of HD enthusiasts from enjoying these events which they had no intention of broadcasting themselves. I could be completely wrong but following the events closely over the past year it looks like there is a hidden battle going on. I take my hat off to Euro1080 and I believe we would not have HD prospects in Europe for many years to come only for their Initiative.

Jim

23. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I'm with rigman... I want an HD1 box with a CI slot!!!

24. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I remember reading about Euro 2004 and the Olympics possibly airing on Euro1080, but they were all rumors posted on forums rather than official statements from Euro1080. I never believed those rumors for the simple reason that a tiny Belgian upstart could never afford the pan-European TV rights to some of the most expensive sporting events in history.

Alfacam manned the HD broadcast of Euro 2004 for the EBU, that’s probably where those rumors stemmed from. But they could never have aired it on their Main channel, even if they were encrypted and only receivable by subscribers.

In Europe, the only way of watching the championship in High Def (other than those sporadic feeds left accidentally in-the-clear) was Euro1080’s “Event channel” on Sirius 2. And if you read between the lines, you’ll realize that this “Event” channel must have been conceived specifically to get around broadcast rights issues. It sounds far more realistic for Alfacam to negotiate a contract with UEFA for “private digital cinema” exhibition rights, as opposed to full-blown TV rights.

Cheers.

25. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These were not rumors.
    It was on their own website prior to the launch of the channel !
    They promised things they couldn't deliver and will never be able to deliver.

26. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Abstrakt, I was referring to an interview with the Euro1080 CEO in January on the Euro1080 channel. He gave as one of the reasons for starting in 2004 the major sporting events, Euro 2004 and the Athens Olympics. Then referring to the Olympics he said "If we can bring those beautiful images to the European households we will be very happy". So Technically he didn't promise they would but it was their intention. At that time there was no talk of encryption and we were all using SkyStar2 cards etc. The program material took off to a slow start with lots of repeats and a lot of the listed concerts never aired. Then came talk of encryption from May 1st and set top boxes etc but this was also delayed. It just seems to me they are trying very hard against stiff opposition.

Jim

27. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi Muf,
    Then I agree that it was misleading of them to make such a statement about the Olympics. The rights for these events are negotiated and sold many years in advance. It’s not something that their CEO could “hope” to get at the last minute. :) There are two ways HD1 could realistically bring the next Olympics or football championships to its subscribers:

They can either limit their subscriptions to one particular country (Belgium for instance) and pay dearly for the Belgian TV rights, perhaps working out some agreement with whatever Belgian TV station airs the SD broadcast in order to split the costs. In this case they could no longer sell subscriptions outside of Belgium, of course.

Or they could acquire pan-European TV rights and attempt to pay for them with a massive increase in their subscription fee, in addition to securing some huge sponsoring deals with advertisers.

Sorry but that’s just how TV works – and HDTV is still TV. :(

My impression of Euro1080 is that it was created by a company passionate about High Def, wishing to bring something in HD to European audiences until the established broadcasters get their act together. But their primary business will probably always be HD production “behind the scenes”, on behalf of other broadcasters and organizations.

Cheers.

28. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Euro1080 showing the Spain V Portugal match at the moment, It seems to be unscrambled. I have been trying to get on the forum for about 40 minutes, very slow access this afternoon.

Jim

29. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Spain V Portugal just finished. It looks like they might have shown the whole match, I just happened to tune in about 40min from the end.

Jim

30. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    grrr, missed that one. Didn't see anything about it on the program grid, which sucks..