Quantcast

Euro 2016: Budget TV Shootout

MahaRaja

You won't get extra performance if you buy an expensive 4K HDR set, as the Euro wont' be broadcast in 4K nor the Olympics! So these sets are perfect to watch the Euros and the Olympics. And I bet even the next Olympics in 2020 won't be shown in HDR.

In fact, a 4K panel has to work 'overtime' to fit a 1080i content. The only time to buy a 4K set is when the BBC starts to show 4K content and Sky is showing flagship shows and major sporting events, that's when I'll jump in.

The next 4K HDR revolution won't start until the BBC and Sky start to show content in 4K AND in HDR.

HugoFJH

You won't get extra performance if you buy an expensive 4K HDR set, as the Euro wont' be broadcast in 4K nor the Olympics! So these sets are perfect to watch the Euros and the Olympics. And I bet even the next Olympics in 2020 won't be shown in HDR.

In fact, a 4K panel has to work 'overtime' to fit a 1080i content. The only time to buy a 4K set is when the BBC starts to show 4K content and Sky is showing flagship shows and major sporting events, that's when I'll jump in.

The next 4K HDR revolution won't start until the BBC and Sky start to show content in 4K AND in HDR.
Why are you only considering "live" broadcasts?

For right or wrong given that there is a sliding scale of HDR performance, and that discs are already coming out, if 4k is of interest this is the major factor performance wise rather than two tournements that are going to last 3-4 weeks each at most over the life span of a typical tv which is 4+ years.

So yes there is potential to get better performance from a more expensive tv.

A customer should consider every format / service that they watch not just one when considering any purchase.

Saying that, given that there are still constant changes / quality differences to HDR (backlight quality /brightness levels etc) some of these budget options are perfect until 2nd /3rd gen HDR sets come down a little in price. Pay £600~ now for the next year or so before moving it into the bedroom or elsewhere to get a premium HDR set when they are much more reasonably priced and better feature set

"There’s also the 40W850C (£399) and KDL-48W805C"
Maybe 40W705C and 48W705C.
Is there any point at all in getting a 4k TV at 40"? Im not convinced at all, unless you are talking about a monitor which is going to be used at a different seating distance.
(Ive just bought a 40" Iiyama monitor which is perfect for "extended" desktop viewing, but would never consider this size for couch viewing @ 7ft or so, completely pointless imo)

Badger Mushroom

Is there any point at all in getting a 4k TV at 40"? Im not convinced at all, unless you are talking about a monitor which is going to be used at a different seating distance.
(Ive just bought a 40" Iiyama monitor which is perfect for "extended" desktop viewing, but would never consider this size for couch viewing @ 7ft or so, completely pointless imo)
The sets mentioned are 1080p, not 4K.

MahaRaja

Why are you only considering "live" broadcasts?

For right or wrong given that there is a sliding scale of HDR performance, and that discs are already coming out, if 4k is of interest this is the major factor performance wise rather than two tournements that are going to last 3-4 weeks each at most over the life span of a typical tv which is 4+ years.

So yes there is potential to get better performance from a more expensive tv.

A customer should consider every format / service that they watch not just one when considering any purchase.

Saying that, given that there are still constant changes / quality differences to HDR (backlight quality /brightness levels etc) some of these budget options are perfect until 2nd /3rd gen HDR sets come down a little in price. Pay £600~ now for the next year or so before moving it into the bedroom or elsewhere to get a premium HDR set when they are much more reasonably priced and better feature set

I understand where you're coming from but the thread is which TV is right for 2016 Euro tournament, not which TV to choose in 3 years time.

simon 2003

not strictly true RTP portugal are broadcasting 8 matches in 4k available with a little know how and a 4K VU+ receiver and NBC will broadcast the rio olympics in 4k with atmos sound

aido

not strictly true RTP portugal are broadcasting 8 matches in 4k available with a little know how and a 4K VU+ receiver and NBC will broadcast the rio olympics in 4k with atmos sound
Are the Portuguese UHD channels clearing then as currently the Sky UHD test ones don't clear as the card is paired to the box so same problem as the HD channels which kind of defeats the point of the 4k boxes?

HugoFJH

I understand where you're coming from but the thread is which TV is right for 2016 Euro tournament, not which TV to choose in 3 years time.
right - not perfect - even at £500~ tv's should be used /lasting for years not just a few weeks of a tournement

You can buy UHD discs right now, no reason to wait 3 years. There are already 100 announced to be released before Christmas also, so its not like Hollywood are being slow in releasing them, and I would be very surprised if it wasnt 500+ by Christmas 2017

Dean

UHD discs would be the only reason for me to get a 4K TV right now, but even then I would have a hard time justifying the cost of a new TV and a new UHD player, so would rather wait it out until there's more broadcast content.

Trending threads

Top Bottom