1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro 2004 PJ disaster

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by palostick, Jun 13, 2004.

1. palostick

palostick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the day that I've got 10 mates coming around to watch France vs England, my Plus U5-112 projector has decided to play up.

I know that fixing it by 7.45 is gonna be a long shot but if anyone could have any idea how I might solve the problem please chip in.

The problem: projector is switching off every 5 minutes. I'm thinking it must be the thermal protector kicking and shutting everything down. I hoovered for dust -- there was none clogging up the ventilation holes.

I opened up the unit and lifted up the bulb to see if anything was loose. I know that the fan nearest the grille at the front is working but I don't know whether the fan behind the bulb is working. If, for example, that fan had gone down is there any way I could repair it by tonight.

Oh dear, I am clutching at straws.

Mission impossible. Obi Wans you're my only hope...

palostick

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    Do you ever have any power problems where you live, lightbulbs not lasting long etc?

The mains at my spot is awful, lightbulbs last a couple of weeks tops usually.

I had almost identical problem with my PJ, would work fine late at night and run for 8 hours if needed, but would only run for 10 mins during the day.. wierd or what?

In the end i guessed it must be a mains voltage problem, as my PJ only seemed to work properly when everybody else was in bed..

I bought myself a £60 Belkin UPS ( for PCs etc ) which had had voltage regulation and brown out protection built in,

Hey presto, PJ problems gone !

Also a good idea, as my PJ will now run for 7-8 mins if the mains fails, which gives you plenty of time to shut down properly and cool..

Don't know if you can get one from PC World etc, but may be worth a try ?

3. palostick

palostick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you dude.

V. grateful for your advice. However, having checked the power situation, I ruled that out as a cause.

The problem repeats it every time -- it's fine for almost exactly 5 mins, then shuts down. SO either the heat sensor's playing up or maybe a fan's kaput?

I've got a large airconditioning fan that blows cold air -- would it be ridiculously stupid of me to try and use this to cool the unit and stop the thermal sensor kicking in???

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    worth a go i suppose... I'm no kind of an expert on PJs though so hopefully somebody else will come along soon...

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    my prob was overheating caused by dodgy voltage, either the lamp was going nuclear or the fans weren't spinning fast enough...never worked out which.. usually the thermal protection kicked in, but PJ case even started to melt one one occasion !!

Will be running on batteries from now on... ;)

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Sounds like the lamp is at the end of its useful life to me. They do this when they're dying.

You don't say how many hours the lamp has done, but even if it's not very many I wouldn't rule it out.
    I've heared many stories of projector lamps lasting only a fraction of their specified life span.

7. Beferr

Beferr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something like that happened to my Sony Cineza, mine would only stay on for about a minute. Turned out to be a problem with the power supply unit. Good luck.

8. palostick

palostick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys.

In the end maybe it was just as well I watched it on on 29" sony rather than a 8ft screen.

The bulb is only 80 hrs old so I will be on to Plus tomorrow.

Things can only get better...

Palostick