1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro 1080 with receiver..but what else?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by museumsteve, May 17, 2004.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I'll be getting a receiver this month for Euro1080 (and naturally excited). I have Sky+ already (2 actually lol) so will get my fav satellite installer to come out and put up a 60cm dish for new receiver. Can anyone tell me if it is worth getting a motorised unit (never had one before) and if so would there be any other sats out there that I'd be able to pick up hi-def from FTA, even if it meant a bigger dish.

2. mjm

mjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am very interested in getting Euro 1080 and wondered how you got on with the installation? Also is there much to watch?

I would love to see some (delayed even) Euro 2004 matches in HDTV but not sure if this will be on the programme grid for Home users - fingers crossed!

I did also see an article somewhere with some guy managing to record the HDTV signal to a Mac using an EyeTV device - big HD required!

Cheers

Michael

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
  4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    yay, finally picking my Euro1080 receiver and card up on Saturday. Got it booked in for installation on wednesday :)

5. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I would like one but looking at the program listing I cannot really justify it. There must be better programming than that available. Especially for an outlay of over £150 for a viewing card.

I am leaning to the PC route again to get the movie downloads. Unfortunately that means losing more hair setting it up.

I just want to see what HDTV looks like on my on my Barco 808s. I do not want to shell out all that money for a receiver, watch it for 5 minutes and then switch it off because I am bored with the programming once the wow factor fades.

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have to agree about the content at the moment... Now if it was beach volleyball..! :D

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    haha...:D
    well we do like to early adopt these formats sometimes ;) and just sometimes it pays off IMO.
    I've got 45 D-Theater titles so far and love watching them but the idea of hi-def running regularly is a chance not to be missed IMO.
    Aside from the volleyball, I am looking forward to some of the concerts they've been showing. Elton John has been on a few times in the last week or so, which I wouldn't mind seeing.
    I also think there could be a chance we may get a sneaky peek at Euro2004 as it's being broadcast on the Event Channel (for cinemas/pubs etc) so you never know. I haven't heard that it will make it to the main channel, but you never know.
    I feel that unless people do take the plunge the people that want the format could be helping it die an early death by not supporting it. I felt the same when I got my first DVHS player..and 2 movies..lol. Now they've just announced more new stuff on the way from Universal and I'm sure Fox wont be far behind (maybe the other Alien movies for a start).
    Probably sound slike I'm trying to justify it to myself..well I am :D

8. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't hold you're breath.
    I read somewhere that the event channel has been dropped and having followed the programming from day one there is not much to get excited about !
    The future of this channel still has to be proven.
    I don't know if they even will broadcast / record the Euro 2004 championships.
    I believe HD is unstoppable , but if it is going to be Euro1080 to force the breaktrough ? Look at the programming for a few weeks and judge for your self.

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    their site is still showing the Euro2004 broadcast events/evenings on the Event channel so it's a fairly safe bet that they'll have the programming somewhere on hand.
    As for programming at the mo, I never expected more to be available until the STBs started going out to the public and as far as I know that has only been the last few weeks really.
    It could be a big waste of money and a missed opportunity..but it may just be the start of something beautiful :laugh:

10. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Let's hope you're right.
    It would be a shame if it failed.