1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro 1080 Press release

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Muf, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I can't see the point of 1080 at the moment. I don't think I've seen one programme that I'm bothered about watching at all, let alone in 1080i. Especially when you factor in the cost of new hardware, dish and box, installation etc. Can somenody who has it explain why they bought it, how much it costs and why I should want it rather than just waiting for Sky's hi-def service in 2006.

3. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    "New hardware dish and box"?

If you already have satellite, all you need is the new receiver, which can run off the same dish, LNB, cable, etc.

Credit to HD1 for trying to push the introduction of HDTV - they are making progress. Yes more content would be good, and no doubt as more people invest in the receiving hardware it will become more attractive for programme providers to invest in the production end. German and French providers are already doing this.

Why on earth would anyone want to wait for an overpriced Sky service anyway? We need competitive alternatives, and we should support them. If you have a monopoly you can charge what you like.. Is that what you want...?

4. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sure thing! :) Let's see... I was already an HTPC user so the only new pieces of hardware I needed to get were a DVB Card with a CI slot (€ 80), and an Irdeto 2 CAM (€ 40). I already had a motorized dish -- no need to make any changes there.

For a very reasonable one-time fee -- I believe the official price is still € 200 for a subscription valid until 2010 -- I’ve already gotten to see quite a few concerts I’ve thoroughly enjoyed.

Keep in mind that the “Euro” in Euro1080 is there for a reason. Europe extends far beyond the UK… ;) For many of us, Sky’s upcoming high def offering will be meaningless. BSkyB doesn’t sell subscriptions outside of the UK. And even if we manage to get friends in the UK to signup for us, the new channels will probably be on Astra 2D which is not visible from most parts of continental Europe.

Alfacam/Euro1080 deserves a lot of credit for getting the ball rolling on the European market. Even if it is admittedly a very modest offering, for the time being...

Cheers.

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Rob,

To some extent I agree with you, I wouldn't be rushing out just yet to buy a Quali box just to watch HD1 as the programming is very limited. The Elton John concert from the Royal Opera House was stunning (if you are an Elton fan!) and the programme on the Japanese motorbike industry catching the Brits sleeping (shown this afternoon) had me hooked as a motorsport fan.

I only bought the receiver to be able to demo HD material and with the right display equipment the PQ is sensational. I won't get drawn into the Sky HD / plasma compatibilty debate here on this thread, but suffice to say that if the PQ from Euro 1080 (a.k.a. HD1) is mirrored by Sky HD there will be smiles on the faces of early adopters - though at what price remains to be seen.

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I'm assuming you can't use a Sky dish to access Euro 1080. Therefore, for the non Sat enthusiast, a new dish and box will be necesary. That plus installation and fees must be near £1,000. Now I'm sure there are the odd programme I could watch, but would I really get sufficient additional enjoyment from it over standard def. I need more than the odd programme, I need regular viewing. Movies and football, tv series. Though movies and football would do, (just football at a pinch). Euro 1080 needs a killer ap. In the same way as the Premiership put Sky on the map. If I could watch the premiership and movies I'd have a reason. Otherwise I'm happy to watch documentarys etc in standard def for now and wait to see why Sky do. Perhaps the cable companys will get their finger out. Then there's always free to air sometime after we go completely digital. I agree that a Sky monolopoly isn't a good thing.

You can't expect me to invest hundreds of pounds in a system when there is little of interest to watch. The programming has to be there first. You wouldn't buy a car if there was no where to fill up with petrol. If Euro 1080 wants my money there gonna have to convince me of the reasons why I should part with it. Until they do, I won't.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I don't think Euro1080 was ever meant to be a profit making operation at least not from DTH subscriptions.
    It was and still is more of a technical demonstration of the abilities of Alfacam who will then sell their product/services to the dozens of broadcasters who move into HD over the next few years.
    Putting aside the intial hardware costs (more an issue for UK viewers who are tied to services at 28.2 degrees) the sub cost in negligible and reflects the value of the content on HD1.
    I would not be surprised if Euro1080 expected to have the market to themselves for another couple of years, the SKY press release seemed to trigger French and German broadcasters to go public as well thereby making it obvious that they and not HD1 would be providing top class movies/sports and general entertainment albeit at a higher price (subscription wise) but maybe a lower price in terms of intial hardware costs (subsidised, lower price higher volume STB's).

8. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Euro1080 have just started a test on Hellas sat 2 covering Eastern Europe. Looks like they are serious about this.

Jim.

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    You'd think that the Chapions League would be a good start. What with it being a competition in Europe, watched millions. I would assume that there's a bigger market for that, then Sky has for the Premiership. Though I suppose foreign countries do watch Prem footy also.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I suspect that since the CL is sold to virtually every EU country already those national advertising driven (and subscription) broadcasters would have serious complaints about their expensive purchases being de-valued by a pan european broadcast in a format they as yet do not supply.

Perhaps the EBU should look into buying EU wide rights from UEFA but of course that may be against competition rules that the EU commission are so keen to enforce :)

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Not really likely though is it? The rights to broadcast the champions league in the various European countries are already owned by other broadcasters, who pay a LOT of money to have exclusive rights within their countries.

I can't see Euro1080 being allowed to broadcast these events in HD, even PPV, without all the existing rights contracts being re-written.

It would be like Euro1080 offering HD coverage of Premiership matches in the UK - Sky own the rights for the UK and wouldn't allow it to happen.

The big problem with pan-European channels, like Euro1080, is that they have to show material that they can negotiate pan-European rights for. This is why there is no real drama, movies or top-league sport on the channel currently - because the rights for drama, films and sport are sold nationally, not on a pan-regional basis. The sport that is shown is minority interest stuff, which may not be shown in most of the countries in the Euro1080 footprint.

The large proportion of classical and pop/rock music is a function of a few things.

1. Language - music and opera don't really require multiple language support
    2. Availability - concerts are one of the key areas where HDTV is already being used extensively, so there are a lot of music concerts already "in the can" in HD, and more being produced all the time.
    3. Rights - unlike ongoing series and sports contracts, single episode productions are far easier to negotiate rights to on a pan-European basis. If you can imagin Euro1080 trying to show "ER" or "The West Wing" in HD you can imagine how complex the issues are. C4/E4 wouldn't be happy with it being shown in the UK - as they have the rights.

12. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    But Sky own the rights to the Premiership football and yet NTL are able to broadcast it. Admitedly bought from Sky. I would suggest there's a case for the EU's competition legislation. Depends whether sky is recording in high def yet I suppose. Still, I suppose it isn't very likely. I can't see Euro 1080 taking off in the UK. And when ky comes in with it's hi-def movies and sports package, (perhaps some of the bigger entertainment channels), that will be the final nail in the coffin, (apart from Sat enthusiasts).

13. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    All depends whether you are locked in to 28 degrees East, or whether you have broader horizons. Plenty of Premiership football on other satellites (encrypted, but decodable) and English language films. If these providers start HD services, there is no way I would pay Sky's inflated subscription fees.

The QualiTV box is perfectly capable of receiving broadcasts (HD & SD) other than HD1's.

I would guess that as they get more subscription take up they would also be in a position to start broadcasting more high value content.

14. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Sky have to provide their channels independently of their digital TV platform, for monopoly and competition reasons. NTL have to be able to pay Sky to carry the Sky channels they carry, and Sky have to provide them.

This isn't the same thing as NTL running their own sports channels and showing the same events that Sky are showing.

I think Euro1080 are more interesting in running their channel, rather than a platform. It may be just as likely that Euro1080 appears on the Sky HD platform? I suspect Sky might be interested in a 24/7 lfeed of high-quality HD material. Just a thought.

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

That's a very good thought:)
    Granted HD1 isn't the must have service I thought it would become by the time I had a suitable display and I won't be investing in it's mpeg2 or 4 variants now SKY is a year away.
    However bundled within the SKY HD service or carried via 28.2 would change things dramatically.

16. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I've only just got round to reading the press release and I think it bodes foir an exciting year for HD-1 subscribers. The implementation of HD2, replacing HDe, means we could be in for some 'proper' HD sporting events on a pay per view basis.
    It was also interesting reading about how they (Euro1080) feel that stores are not helping the cause by limiting in store displays to daytime programming and giving the impression to customers that that is HD-1's entire programming schedule whereas of course the proper programming doesn;t start til after 6pm usually.