1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro 1080 - Image Quality

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by johnelf, Mar 1, 2005.

1. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I today visited Sony Centre Enfield and spent some time viewing the HD1 feed on to one of their 42" plasma's fed via component leads.

Whilst the image is by far superiour to what we have at present, i did notice a slight shimmer and wonder if this is standard, or down to the set-up or the set itself. As the plasma was selling for £5999, i take it it one of their top of the range sets.

I am tempted to puchase a Quali box and card as i already have a motorised dish , but this shimmer, together with the poor programe listing at present is putting me off!

Regards

John

2. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Could you describe the shimmer John, is it some kind of distortion or shake in the picture? If so then it must be just a bad set up. I look at HD1 a lot and the picture is always rock steady.
    The programme material is very sparse alright but hopefully it will improve. I really enjoyed "The Desert Speaks" and "The blue Realm" series, I hope they will repeat "The Blue Realm" as I missed two episodes.

Jim.

3. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks for your response Jim
    I would describe it as looking at a 50hz tv rather than 100hz.
    It was their 'a day in amsterdam' or something. Maybe im too fussy or the HDMI connection would be better.
    Do you recomend? I know the current proram line-up leaves a little to be desired so i wont flame you if your wrong :)
    Can you use the quali box to look st the feeds on other birds?
    Regards
    John

4. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the shimmering effect you were seeing was akin to 50Hz vs 100Hz, you were probably looking at an interlaced ALiS panel, such as the Sony KDE-P42XS1.

5. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Now that you mention it John there is a piece called A Day in Copenhagen, it seems to have been shot in progressive mode and when the camera pans too quickly the picture jitters very badly. The piece is about 3.5 minutes long and at the beginning there are shots of tourist canal boats and then it goes to Tivoli gardens, if this is the piece you are referring to then you couldn't have walked in to the Sony centre at a worse time. If I were them I would switch to the Astra HD channel which is on the same sat, this shows a short loop repeating about every 10 minutes which is nearly all stunning quality and includes a Sony demo.
    I don't have the Qualia box, I use a PC with sat card and HD1 smart card but I believe the Qualia box is fine for viewing the other HD channels. When I say channels, these are really only test loops. HD1 is the only channel as such with a program line up (more repeats than SKY though).

Jim

6. retro21

retro21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

How much would it cost for a basic High-Def set-up at present?? (plasma not included)

Cost of new Sat dish, receiver, set-top box, subscription to HD1 etc.

Thank you in advance.

7. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks Quickbeam & Muff
    Yes it was that panel, im surprised if it makes that much difference on these panels but belive you as dont claim to be an expert.

Muff, yes those were the shots so you have given me some faith, thanks!

Rougue, the Quali box and subscription is £549. You will have to get a dish etc on top.

Regards

John