1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro 1080 future plans

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by aligebes, Aug 11, 2004.

1. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is a copy of an email I received from Euro 1080, Thought it may be of interest to others:

From September 1 the Main Channel of Euro1080 will be called HD?. Trailers for this event will be shown from August 16th on.

HD? will be completely encrypted from that day on between 8pm and midnight. Afternoon programming will be encrypted later on, or on special occasions.

Programming will be based on 4 themes: Music (all kind), Xplore (nature and wildlife docs), Trends (fashion, arts, architecture, traveling, economical and society related docs) and Sports (more exclusive sports such as golf, polo, yachting and sailing but also bigger sports events. We'll be presenting LG races on 4,5/9 and 18,19/9. We'll be showing the French and World Championships Mountainbike, etc.)

Towards the start of 2005 we'll be adding films. We do this later because our technical staff is studying the possibilities of multilingual broadcasting which will give viewers the opportunity to choose subtitling from 3 to 4 different languages.

Programs will be acquired from (amongst others) HDnet, InHD, independent producers. Other programs will be our own production.

I hope these few lines have been of help to you.

I would like to thank you for the interest you have in Euro1080 and in HD? and hope to welcome you as one of our viewers in the near future.

What do others think about this? I had asked about them showing Smallville, Enterprise, Las Vegas etc in HiDef, but there was no mention about these.

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I cant wait :) Really looking forward to plenty if nature stuff, HDnet and Discovery stuff (assuming that's on the way) should be great. Would also love to see some motorsport stuff.
    Thanks for the update and roll on next week when we start to see these trailers :)

3. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're welcome!!, I also suggested that someone from Euro 1080 maybe checks out this forum(or creates one on their own site) to see what comments are being made.

Now all I need is for Technisat to release the New Skystar CI Card and I plan on signing up!!!

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the card we are all waiting for? Any idea how much it'll cost? (..or will it be subscription based?)

5. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I believe it is, there was another posting here giving more info about the card itself.

There is mention of the card at www.sateuropa.co.uk in the news section.

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    I didn't think that Skystar card (the one on sateuropa) would work with HD stuff? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Cheers
    Andy

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    how do you receive this hi-def service? what equipment etc....and how much will it cost? (equipment + monthly fee).

8. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you are viewing it via your PC, you will need , PCI Sat Card with COmmon Interface(like sky card slot) Irdeto CAM(encryption method) and access card from Euro1080.

If you are viewing it via your TV, you'll need an HDTV compatible Sat receiver and card,this forum has mention of the receiver.

You'll also require a SAT Dish pointed at 19.2deg east, if you already have this from the old days of Sky, it will probably require realigned and a new LNB.

Hope this helps.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Qualitv STB and Irdeto card for veiwing until 2010 is £550-600 depending where you buy. Available now, and you require a dish with universal LNB, Old Sky analogue Dish is perfect, and good LNB. STB will ouput SD channels FTA of Astra 19.2 and 1080 in SD if required (second display etc). cunningly the ouput of Sky news registers as 1080i on our demo PJ so not sure if the box is upscaling SD to 1080 or what!!!!

10. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    I have to take issue with the "like $ky card slot" part.
    Sky have a proprietary embedded CA (Conditional Access) system. The card for Euro1080 needs a CI (Common Interface) card slot.
    The only thing it has in common with $ky is the contacts on the card , which are to ISO7816 specifications in both cases - but so are modern credit cards as well as Simcards in cellular phones.
    A CI slot will take a normal Irdeto CAM , the card then plugs into the CAM.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    So would that new Skystar CI card with an Irdeto cam and a Euro1080 card enable reception of Euro1080? Or is that card just for SD broadcasts?

Cheers
    Andy

12. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Yes - if the PC has enough CPU processing power.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

13. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    It all sounds like a hell of a lot of expense and hassle for the odd hi-def broadcast. Think I'll wait for sky's service in 2006.

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Well, that lot is probably about £350 or thereabouts? Might as well get a Qualitv set top box with card for £479, gotta be less hassle!

Andy.