Eureka on Sky Onc HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jaycee Dove, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Did anyone think that the picture quality on the most recent episode was rather poor compared with the earlier ones in the series?

It took up only 3% on our HD whereas a similar length (SD) BBC 1 show recorded took up 2%. And the superb Aquarivision HD images took up 10%.

The difference between SD and HD recordings used to be more than 2% to 3% for one hour dramas.

I am sure that previous Sky Onc HD episodes took up more space than this and the quality of this one to vuew was so much less good that I twice checked I was on Sky Onc HD and that the EPG was showing the episode to be HD.

Is this further evidence of the erosion of the quality, because if it is then Sky are heading for a mass exodus if they run down bit rates but still charge us £10 pm.

Hopefully it was a one off or Sky upscaled this episode for some reason.

Anyone know?

2. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Definitley wasn't upscaled SD, but the bit rate was obviously pretty low as there where a lot of blocking artifacts visible.

John.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    My HD recording of Eureka took up 4%, 63 minutes worth so I assume the reported figure was right on the knife edge.

Given the use of mpeg4 compression 4.8gig for one hour of HD is respectable, even better if it was 6.4gig. SKY just need to sort out their encoders to make the most of mpeg4 otherwise people will just look at the percentage used and write off HD broadcasts.

What would be worse if that SKY lost the early gains made by HD through simple word of mouth as is no doubt already happening.

4. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Mine took up 4% but last weeks took up 5%....

The picture didnt look as crisp as last week either.

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mine took up 3% but I've not got before or after padding so it was exactly 60 minutes.
    Very odd when BBC HD planet earth took 6% or 7%.

I agree that MPEG4 is efficient but and therefore % usage is not always and accurate representation of how good the picture should be, for example a movie mainly in the dark will probably take much less space than a daylight scene.
    That said I actually was watching Eureka thinking that it looks very weak compared to the previous episode.

I thought it would take more than a few months before Sky started this game. I wonder if 'sale of goods' act applied to reduction in picture quality, if it does'nt then they are guaranteed £10 per HD viewer for 12 months.

Steve

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Not really, the BBC (and some SKY1, Disc and NG) 1 hour programs which use 6%+ are running at bitrates that would be perfectly suitable for mpeg2 which means that the mpeg4 encoders are not optimised either by design or simply lack of development.

Personal opinion only not backed by inside knowledge but I put all the PQ and bitrates issues on SKY1 and SKY Movies down to stat-muxing and then obvious need for SKY to learn how to optimise their encoders to maximise the mpeg4 codec.
    All that should have been done before the service launched of course.

Given that there is no regulation anywhere in the UK the applies to digital sourced PQ be it SD or HD then the sales of goods act would need to be argued for by a very good solictor:)

7. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Glad it was not just me who thought the picture quality was noticeably worse.

This happened with the last few episodes of Bones thay were on immediately post the first installs. Some were excellent, others did not look HD and took up muh less space. And that was in week one or two!

Incidentally, The 4400 on immediately after Eureka also took up only 3% last week (less than previous weeks) and did not look as good either. Although the dip was less marked than with Eureka.

I hope Sky are reading this because if you did try a lower bit rate then it was very obvious and you will not win customers or renewals this way.