EU Wants to control how you drive

krish

Distinguished Member
Forget it's the EU for a moment and say exactly what's wrong with this ...
"The Commission wanted to make it compulsory that the car would automatically slow down to observe speed limits but we have secured a compromise where the system merely has to alert the driver that he or she is speeding," said Daniel Dalton, the Tory MEP for the West Midlands.
Doesn't actually appear to be a limiter then.

D

Deleted member 27989

Forget it's the EU for a moment and say exactly what's wrong with this ...
Doesn't actually appear to be a limiter then.
Forced notifications that I already have through paying attention to the roads. Increased maintenance cost through alignment of the onboard cameras that are required to support this. For starters.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Forced notifications that I already have through paying attention to the roads. Increased maintenance cost through alignment of the onboard cameras that are required to support this. For starters.

You do, as do others, but what about those that are just bad drivers/inattentive/illegally diving at excessive speeds and knock over children in a 30 zone? I don’t really like the idea of the car deciding what’s best but it’s a warning system that’s ultimately overridden by the driver if they choose to, just like a satnav warning but with a direct link to engine power.

I also see that the U.K. have said they will enforce the same standards post-Brexit.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
This trade organisation will not stop at anything trying to control citizens lives. Just like with many other measures, individually they may not seem so bad. However the cumulative effect is a huge adverse impact to our lives.

EU says new cars must include built-in speed limiters — The Telegraph
The measure still has to be approved by national governments and MEPs, so if you don't like it lobby your representatives as for any other measure.

...of course Brexit means we will just adopt such rules rather than influence them or have any say on them.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
In principal, I don't have a major issue with it. My car uses a camera to see road signs and warns when I'm over the limit, but that's as far as it goes. I don't have a problem with warnings.

Where does it end though?

I'm sure we all know, if you give a politician an inch, they'll eventually take a mile. Small steps to start with, something seemingly harmless, but where does it end?

I'll put my tin foil hat away now :laugh:

D

Deleted member 27989

In principal, I don't have a major issue with it. My car uses a camera to see road signs and warns when I'm over the limit, but that's as far as it goes. I don't have a problem with warnings.

Where does it end though?

I'm sure we all know, if you give a politician an inch, they'll eventually take a mile. Small steps to start with, something seemingly harmless, but where does it end?

I'll put my tin foil hat away now :laugh:
Which is what my point was but as per usual gets totally ignored by the usual suspects.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
...of course Brexit means we will just adopt such rules rather than influence them or have any say on them.

And how much influence do we have now exactly? One voice amongst another 27.

It's a bit like saying the Lib Dems have influence over government policy.

Sonic67

Banned
EU getting involved with speed limiters, banning memes, British summer time.

Any bit of our lives they won't control?

krish

Distinguished Member
EU getting involved with speed limiters, banning memes, British summer time.

Any bit of our lives they won't control?
didn't you just post this? ...
BBC News - Article 13: Memes exempt as EU backs controversial copyright law
EU backs controversial copyright law

High-profile figures who have campaigned against the EU Copyright Directive include Wyclef Jean and web inventor Sir Tim Berners Lee, while Debbie Harry and Sir Paul McCartney have been among its supporters.

Big corporation controlling free speech.

Save the Internet

springtide

Distinguished Member

This sounds exaggerated and I believe they are just talking about using GPS.

My SatNav already does this and it’s a several years old

Sonic67

Banned
didn't you just post this ...
Yes....

Hence "getting involved with" rather than a clear statement.

It will cause chaos as there's a lot involved with it and to sort out exactly what is a meme.

What is Article 13? The EU's divisive new copyright plan explained | WIRED UK

But things aren’t quite that simple. No one can quite agree how these platforms are expected to identify and remove this content. An earlier version of the Directive referred to “proportionate content recognition technologies” which sounds an awful lot like it’s asking platform owners to use automated filters to scan every piece of uploaded content and stop anything that might violate copyright from being uploaded.

The reason why this article has been dubbed the “meme ban” is that no one is sure whether memes, which are often based on copyrighted images, will fall foul of these laws.

justincase

Already on my new car,never turned it on though..

Can see why there was no agreements to making the speed limiter compulsory,the loss of revenue would be fairly hefty afaik

Over by there

Posted in the other threads
ETSC welcomes provisional deal on new vehicle safety standards | ETSC
And this from that site. The horses mouth not a newspaper.
https://etsc.eu/intelligent-speed-assistance-isa/
I thought that the EU had gone away from this. They haven't, it has been renamed. And there will be a black box fitted.

Radio news this AM says that if we are out, we will still follow this ruling.

They are using speed as a killer for the tag line for this, it is s divisive argument to push this through. I would rather frequent re testing and better training, people will get lazy and the system will still fail.

Best bit of kit for any car is probably a rusty 8" spike out the centre of the steering wheel.

D

Deleted member 27989

This sounds exaggerated and I believe they are just talking about using GPS.

My SatNav already does this and it’s a several years old
My previous three cars do it as well. And it’s a pain. A windscreen replacement requires a lot more work, cost and alignment of cameras etc. I’d rather buy one without it.

There is more and more control implemented across the board.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Oh no, features that might save lives. What are the EU trying to do? Monsters. :rolleyes:

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Like I said, innocuous features in the name of safety, who could possibly object?

What's next though?

A bit like the whole RIPA thing, "we need it to protect people and stop those nasty terrorists" great idea, who could object to that?

Now used for life-threatening stuff, like councils checking if you put the wrong type of rubbish in the bin :D

Does anyone trust politicians not to abuse anything? They certainly manage to abuse expenses :laugh:

Even if we trust the current lot, although why would we, after the mess they've made of Brexit, but who's to say what future governments will do with the little bit of power they've been given?

D

Deleted member 433786

When I got my first tom tom this was classed as a plus?????

cheers

springtide

Distinguished Member
My previous three cars do it as well. And it’s a pain. A windscreen replacement requires a lot more work, cost and alignment of cameras etc. I’d rather buy one without it.

There is more and more control implemented across the board.

I haven’t seen any requirement for actual cameras so that might not be a requirement. My SatNav works on GPS only.

There is also nothing saying it needs to be a full widescreens double DIN display as could be built-in like the more basic SatNavs.

Might mean SatNavs will be standard on all cars and manufactured in bulk bringing down costs. Let’s face it, factory fitted SatNavs have been a complete rip off for years.

Sonic67

Banned
One good thing. The youth like Twitter etc. Let's see how much they like the EU once social media is hit.

upload_2019-3-27_9-55-25.png

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
One good thing. The youth like Twitter etc. Let's see how much they like the EU once social media is hit.

View attachment 1133676

Ok, so if we put aside the direct EU objection for a moment and look at the proposal directly, it's related to copyright violations, as is the "banning memes" outrage. Memes in general aren't an issue, it's the copyrighted images often used for them, but it's a more passionate approach to go with the all seeing eye of the EU preventing freedom of speech.

The idea of the content filter, like the speed restriction idea, is that many people can't be relied on to follow the rules, so that minority are leading to everyone else being restricted too. YouTube already takes down videos that contain copyrighted music so the idea is to prevent it at source rather than rely on their processes/algorithms to find it later.

As a photographer, I've been directly involved in a number of disputes where I've found my images being used by companies without my permission or them paying my fee. This is surely the same for everyone else?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone