EU threatens to block exports of Vaccine

Some of the vaccine is put into phials in Wrexham - you need to be better informed -

At the very least you would need to explain how the EU could affect supplies of a vaccine that is both manufactured and put into phials in the UK? I think you'll find that you've defeated your own argument very effectlvely.

It's good that the EU and the UK are cooperating to produce and roll out the vaccine - it's bad that the AstraZeneca board tried to insert itself into that to make some extra profit. It's good that the EU and the UK have reached an understanding.

And dealing with the reality isn't a bad thing. Having the resources of the EU to supply the best distribution system in the world - or the second best if you think Israel's healthcare system is better than the NHS - is a good thing. (of course if the UK had still been in the EU the move to prevent vaccines being sent out of the EU would have had zero effect on the NHS distribution but let's not dwell on that)
The UK produced vaccine is being put into vials in Wrexham.
The EU produced vaccine is being put into vials in Germany.

From the UK Government Website:

'Production of the Oxford University / AstraZeneca vaccine started last autumn where the bulk of the vaccine for the UK is being made in Oxfordshire and Staffordshire, with filling into vials taking place in North Wales.'

We are currently not exporting UK made v Astra Zeneca vaccine for finishing in Germany.

The UK government stopped the Oxford vaccine being manufactured by Merck, who on the point of signing the deal, because they wanted to keep a whole production line in the UK. They then partnered with Astra Zeneca purely for this reason - so no-one could interrupt supply.

But I am not going to argue with someone who so little grasp on reality. I have never seen so many factual errors in so few posts.

If there is anyone here with an agenda - it's quite clearly you.

Some of the vaccine is put into phials in Wrexham - you need to be better informed -

At the very least you would need to explain how the EU could affect supplies of a vaccine that is both manufactured and put into phials in the UK? I think you'll find that you've defeated your own argument very effectlvely.

It's good that the EU and the UK are cooperating to produce and roll out the vaccine - it's bad that the AstraZeneca board tried to insert itself into that to make some extra profit. It's good that the EU and the UK have reached an understanding.

And dealing with the reality isn't a bad thing. Having the resources of the EU to supply the best distribution system in the world - or the second best if you think Israel's healthcare system is better than the NHS - is a good thing. (of course if the UK had still been in the EU the move to prevent vaccines being sent out of the EU would have had zero effect on the NHS distribution but let's not dwell on that)
I hope you are aware that the EU were 3 months late in ordering. Individual EU nations were planning to order themselves, but Brussels quickly quenched that plan. It is the EU bureaucracy and red tape that failed. They tried to get the lowest price. They only approved the AZ vaccine a few days ago. Cases are rising and there is no serious roll out in most of the EU. How can you not class that as a major fail?

As for the EU move to create a hard border- well that was just foolish. During Brexit talks, it was the the EU that said the GFA had to be intact to the letter. But at the drop of a hat they changed their tune. Unbelievable.
You mentioned Ireland comes out of this well? How come? They are also short of vaccines as they are part of the EU.
However, I did read today, that Boris will give vaccines to Ireland and the EU once over 50s have been done here.

So it's only about people when the EU looks bad?

Carry your double standard into battle?

The EU has started slower, largely because like the State of Israel the UK has a universal healthcare system that is extraordinarily good - the NHS is behind the effective distribution of the vaccine.

And yes people are being booked in for their second dose - after 12 weeks not the recommended 4 - that was the point.

Immunity builds after the first dose then reaches a plateau, if the second dose is received in time that level of immunity goes up again - if the second dose is too late there is a much greater chance that it either declines or remains at the lower level.

Maybe you're completely happy with the UK's population being lab rats - I'm far less happy with that.
u
Here you go sweet cheeks, from the CDC’s AZ trial, the efficacy rises the longer the time between doses, I’m inclined to listen to them and AZ over some no mark on an electronics forum

Except the UK has one of the highest death rates from Covid in the world so that really doesn't hold water.

If you believe the New England Journal of Medicine - and it's up to you if you do or not the data is very open to interpretation - by delaying the second shot for as long as they have the UK has risked making as many as 30% of doses given out effectively useless.

And if you want to say it could go the other way and long term immunity could last longer that's a fair shout, there's very little data either way. I'm not entirely sure I'm happy with my mother being used as a lab rat for the rest of the world with no say in whether she participates in the experiment but that's just me. You may think very differently.
Just in case your too ignorant to read it, here’s some pictures for you
63544FD9-3213-4C15-871B-2A67008D787A.png
C3FAA790-2FAE-4ECB-B14C-1463976592A9.png

Can people throttle back a bit please, thank you. And please try and post in the correct threads.

I think someone should post with more humility and neutrality towards fellow forum members?

The pharmaceutical company in question, Astrazeneca, has gone on the public record several times they are supplying the vaccine developed with Oxford University at low cost to the EU

Last year a Belgian minister mistakenly revealed on Twitter what the EU are paying. It is the Oxford University/Astrazeneca vaccine that is the cheapest

They have also committed to supplying their supplied at cost to low and middle income countries

Well aren't you nice, with your insults and passive aggression.

If you're going to speak of ignorance, perhaps brush up on your homonym use.
TBH, go back and read some of his posts and reply’s and you will see that he clearly didn’t read anything that refuted the tripe he was posting, hence my ignorance comment and the reason I supplied pictures for him.

The UK produced vaccine is being put into vials in Wrexham.
The EU produced vaccine is being put into vials in Germany.

From the UK Government Website:

'Production of the Oxford University / AstraZeneca vaccine started last autumn where the bulk of the vaccine for the UK is being made in Oxfordshire and Staffordshire, with filling into vials taking place in North Wales.'

We are currently not exporting UK made v Astra Zeneca vaccine for finishing in Germany.

The UK government stopped the Oxford vaccine being manufactured by Merck, who on the point of signing the deal, because they wanted to keep a whole production line in the UK. They then partnered with Astra Zeneca purely for this reason - so no-one could interrupt supply.

But I am not going to argue with someone who so little grasp on reality. I have never seen so many factual errors in so few posts.

If there is anyone here with an agenda - it's quite clearly you.
Not so much - the UK can produce more than it can put into phials.

It doesn't allow that capacity to go to waste, and again that's a good thing because more doses.

I think someone should post with more humility and neutrality towards fellow forum members?

The pharmaceutical company in question, Astrazeneca, has gone on the public record several times they are supplying the vaccine developed with Oxford University at low cost to the EU

Last year a Belgian minister mistakenly revealed on Twitter what the EU are paying. It is the Oxford University/Astrazeneca vaccine that is the cheapest

They have also committed to supplying their supplied at cost to low and middle income countries

What he said was incorrect.

That the UK is sending the goop it can't put into phials to the EU is a good thing - more doses.

Just like having the data on the Sputnik vaccine now is a good thing.

Like Boris Vladmir Putin gambled and won, a few months ago I wouldn't have considered taking the Sputnik Vaccine and today I would.

The simple fact is if we had been in the EU the threat not to allow any of the vaccine outside the EU wouldn't have mattered one jot. Take with that the fact Boris said there was absolutely no chance that any action the EU could take would affect the supply of the vaccine and you have yet another Boris Johnson promise about Brexit what wasn't kept.

And that is why this story is being spun so hard by Brexiters.

Please take your anti-Brexit agenda elsewhere or you will be thread blocked.

I don’t understand some countries, Switzerland has refused to approve the AZ vaccine for use in any age group, they are waiting further trials from the US, despite it already being approved for all age groups by the EU authority.
All this flusterbusting and delaying and dare I say, spite, over Brexit is costing peoples lives. But if that’s what they want to do.
I’d also rather they got on with vaccinating with the ones they have approved but they seem be dragging there heals with that even:

A senior German immunologist has urged his country to change its mind and start allowing over-65s to receive the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.
In a BBC interview, Carsten Watzl, head of the German Society for Immunology, predicted regulators would have to reverse their decision to not recommend the jab for older people.
He urged Angela Merkel to have the vaccine live on TV to prove it is safe.
Germany's vaccine commission is currently reviewing its recommendation.

France reversing their decision on the AZ vax for over-65s -- data shows how incredibly potent the vax is.

For a vaccine that many countries inside the EU disparaged and made a show on the political stage in doing so . Well now they all over it to a point in enacting something never before done inside the EU , amazing turnaround of events .
YCyrEbA.gif

Last edited:
Italy has a slightly smaller population size to the UK - around 60 million for Italy vs the UK's 66 million. The vaccination programme has been sluggish to say the least in Italy, my Italian friends have no hopes of being vaccinated anytime soon. They've increased the number of vaccination centres in recent weeks from 293 to 1436 across Italy and have appointed an Italian Army General to run the programme. It looks like they are going to follow the UK's mass vaccination programme example. Which might explain why Italy blocked AstraZeneca vaccines leaving the country. They are going to need every dose of vaccine they can get. The EU Commission could have blocked Italy from doing this but decided not to.

We shouldn't be too smug, the only reason the UK Government went on a vaccine funding and buying spree is due to Matt Hancock watching contagion and getting the idea from that.

What we should do once we've finished the vaccination programme is to be pragmatic and send some to the EU whilst also sending the vast majority of the spare vaccines to the poorer parts of the world. We need to crush COVID-19 globally. If we don't do so, then there is a risk of COVID-19 mutating into a variant that could circumvent the protection current vaccines provide. We are by no means out of the woods yet with this pandemic.

What we should do once we've finished the vaccination programme is to be pragmatic and send some to the EU whilst also sending the vast majority of the spare vaccines to the poorer parts of the world. We need to crush COVID-19 globally. If we don't do so, then there is a risk of COVID-19 mutating into a variant that could circumvent the protection current vaccines provide. We are by no means out of the woods yet with this pandemic.
1614894539388.png

Italy has a slightly smaller population size to the UK - around 60 million for Italy vs the UK's 66 million. The vaccination programme has been sluggish to say the least in Italy, my Italian friends have no hopes of being vaccinated anytime soon. They've increased the number of vaccination centres in recent weeks from 293 to 1436 across Italy and have appointed an Italian Army General to run the programme. It looks like they are going to follow the UK's mass vaccination programme example. Which might explain why Italy blocked AstraZeneca vaccines leaving the country. They are going to need every dose of vaccine they can get. The EU Commission could have blocked Italy from doing this but decided not to.

We shouldn't be too smug, the only reason the UK Government went on a vaccine funding and buying spree is due to Matt Hancock watching contagion and getting the idea from that.

Sorry one can not push the Italy decision and the EU commission for letting it do so into a UK issue , why even try ? If someone fudges up , they fudge up and much like our goverment should be called out .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom