EU interfering in UK Broadcast (TV) channels

pint

Bit of a bizarre one, but following on from a conversation with what can best be described as a few pro Brexit extremists...

The EU ( which we have now left in order to get our sovereignty back) has put a ban on the distribution and transmission of Russia Today (RT) in the EU, which in turn means that RT which has not been banned in the UK , and is still not banned, has been forced off air in an independent country (the UK) effectively meaning that the EU has interfered with our rights as an independent country and could in effect remove any channel they like to ensure that our media is under EU control.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
The satellite broadcast came via the EU. Not much we could do about that.

Put It this way - if a product was sourced from the EU but banned there, we would no longer be able to buy it from the EU. We could try to source it elsewhere though. Unless it then got banned in the UK too (which is what has happened in this case, late as usual).

avjon

To be honest I did wonder where it had gone.

When it appeared on Sky a few years ago it was quite interesting and covered a lot of different stories with lots of different hosts. Then the move to Moscow occurred and it went from vaguely interesting and quite thoughtful at times to just a mouthpiece for the Russian State.

Obviously the recent events saw it rocket into space and disappear up its own massive black hole of propaganda so I used it only to see what drivel the Russian people were being fed.

It is a shame that we can't keep it for the purpose of seeing what others see.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Good riddance.

Boo Radley75

Distinguished Member
To be completely honest, when weighing up the pros and cons of the EU, the availability of a Russian propaganda channel was something I gave, roughly, less than two s**ts about.

Laureline

Distinguished Member
Bit of a bizarre one, but following on from a conversation with what can best be described as a few pro Brexit extremists...

The EU ( which we have now left in order to get our sovereignty back) has put a ban on the distribution and transmission of Russia Today (RT) in the EU, which in turn means that RT which has not been banned in the UK , and is still not banned, has been forced off air in an independent country (the UK) effectively meaning that the EU has interfered with our rights as an independent country and could in effect remove any channel they like to ensure that our media is under EU control.

Ah you can't have it both ways :)

Netflix in Europe is registered as a Dutch company and is thus outside of the control of OFCOM subject to the regulation of the Netherlands

So any attempts by Ofcom to control what streamers do does not apply to Netflix. So when Nadine wants to moan about the Crown, Neflix doesn't have to care

Laureline

Distinguished Member
Personally I think the UK Government were happy with this.

There were calls in the UK to ban RT but the Government were worried about Russian retaliation and throwing the BBC out in response.

Here the UK can say "Nothing to do with us" but satisfy those who wanted RT banned

Parky 1

There were calls in the UK to ban RT but the Government were worried about Russian retaliation and throwing the BBC out in response.

Here the UK can say "Nothing to do with us" but satisfy those who wanted RT banned
Totally agree

richp007

Distinguished Member
I watched it a few times out of curiosity and it was bloody horrendous.

Still not as bad as GBeebies though :D

Parky 1

Well you need to watch a bit more , some of the coverage was Good particularly from their spin of companies, and it was all not proganda, I get why it was taken down in these very extreme times, but let’s not down the route of other closed regimes, sometime you need to hear your enemy to understand it .

Dorset Dog

Banned
RT came via a french Satellite so not much we could do either way.

You can still watch it online if you have a VPN for a country outside of Europe.

VladTheImpeller

Distinguished Member

BBC have effectively been kicked out of Russia due to changes in Russian law -

Parky 1

BBC have effectively been kicked out of Russia due to changes in Russian law -

It was always going to happen, putin didn’t need any excuse,
RT being banned was the excuse , but putin pushed it a notch further , the BBC and other foreign corespondent could not allow their employees to face criminal charges.

MrsArcanum

Distinguished Member

Wonder if Grimes would be welcomed with open arms so Russia could still broadcast propaganda via GBeebies?

MrsArcanum

Distinguished Member
Meanwhile - this has resurfaced - Putin telling May to deliver on Brexit.

david1974b

Meanwhile - this has resurfaced - Putin telling May to deliver on Brexit.

Putin doesn't know what the will of the people in terms of how we left the EU really is, only leaving the EU was the will How we left wasn't asked back in 2016. There has been no agreement as to how we actually departed the EU among the public or the elected politicians

The will of Putin, Trump, the far right British politicians and far right british press they all shared the same opinion which was No Deal, and still consider Johnson's withdrawal agreement as Not Brexit. With Johnson's agreement the far right in the UK accepted it for now as there was a general election coming with the condition that article 16 will be invoked to complete No Deal before the following general election. But with so many roubles stashed away in tory coffers, no wonder that the tories, Farage etc are so desperate to invoke article 16 now therw have probably been demands over the telephone ftom the Kremlin when exactly it will be getting done.

Last edited:

MrsArcanum

Distinguished Member
Putin doesn't know what the will of the people in terms of how we left the EU really is, only leaving the EU was the will How we left wasn't asked back in 2016. There has been no agreement as to how we actually departed the EU among the public or the elected politicians

The will of Putin, Trump, the far right British politicians and far right british press they all shared the same opinion which was No Deal, and still consider Johnson's withdrawal agreement as Not Brexit. With Johnson's agreement the far right in the UK accepted it for now as there was a general election coming with the condition that article 16 will be invoked to complete No Deal before the following general election. But with so many roubles stashed away in tory coffers, no wonder that the tories, Farage etc are so desperate to invoke article 16 now therw have probably been demands over the telephone ftom the Kremlin when exactly it will be getting done.
Does seem extraordinarily "do as I say" rather than "do as I do" from Putin, given how he wants to drag countries back into the old Russian empire days, but insist the UK destroys the union with the daft Brexit demands.

Dorset Dog

Banned

We are currently shipping tons of arms to Ukraine to kill Russian troops but all they are interested in is that we trigger A16?.... OK. o_O

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow