Ethernet Wired Internet Not As Fast

skapunkmetalskater

Novice Member
Hi folks, I recently upgraded my Internet to Sky Fibre and get about 140mbs on Wireless, but the speed has barely increased on my wired PC connection, which went from about 70mbs to 90mbs. But I can't seem to get much more.

internet-speeds.png

I noticed my Ethernet cables were old Cat5 cables and have replaced them with Cat7 Gigabit LAN cables.

The router is plugged in downstairs and my Windows 10 PC is upstairs. I use TP-Link 500mbs Powerline Adapters to feed the Ethernet upstairs. My Ethernet port is on the motherboard and down as "Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller".

I can't figure out what more I can investigate to figure out why I'm not getting my full speed.

Would really appreciate some insight.

xar

Your PowerLine adapters are to blame in my experience. I have 900mbs FTTP into my property, which each device hardwired to the router gets very close to. Wireless is 700 plus, but my Devolo 1200mbs adapter only gets 150mbs, the 500mbs ones even less.

outoftheknow

I use TP-Link 500mbs Powerline Adapters to feed the Ethernet upstairs
As above there’s your problem (if it is a problem for you) right there. You aren’t using ethernet cables to upstairs - you are using the power circuit copper cables and the powerline adaptors.

A mesh system with satellite upstairs will likely work with more speed.

If the problem is merely the numbers are less, you could just leave as is of course :)

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Worth checking that the ethernet adapter built into the MB is enabled for gigabit.

But as above, Homeplug advertised speeds are pure works of fiction. You may also find that the ethernet ports are only 100Mb. You might get the higher speed by upgrading them to something faster (ensuring that the ports are gigabit), but there's no guarantee your electricity cabling will allow anything faster. Perhaps buy a set from Amazon & return them if they don't help?

@Greg Hook was Mr Homeplug.

Edit
Here you go. Ignore the text (forum bug/feature), just click the link.

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yes +1 for power lines being rubbish.

Those ones will have have a 100Mbit port so that’s their upper limit regardless of what speed they are advertised as. To me they should be taken to the advertising standards authority.

The faster ones might get the full speed of your internet connection if it’s up to around 150Mbps but outs a not of luck of the draw.

You also wasted money replacing your cat 5e cables, they are gigabit capable

skapunkmetalskater

Novice Member
Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated. I've purchased some TP-Link AV1300 3-Port Gigabit power line adapters from Amazon and will give them a shot to see if they offer higher speeds. Will report back after I've tried them out.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated. I've purchased some TP-Link AV1300 3-Port Gigabit power line adapters from Amazon and will give them a shot to see if they offer higher speeds. Will report back after I've tried them out.

You might get lucky but possibly actual end up with a slightly faster bottleneck. At least TP-Link are pretty some real world specs on their own website

AV1300 The Maximum Powerline speed (Explanation about the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters | TP-Link United Kingdom)

AV1300 is not the actual speed but the maximum powerline rate which will be shown on the tpplc utility. The powerline speed showing in tpplc utility will not reach 1300Mbps due to the interferes in the powerline environment.

We do two tests under some interferes as below, the Powerline speed between TL-WPA8630 and two TL-PA8010 can be only up to 364Mbps and 56Mbps. However, the conversion rate (The ratio of transmission rate and Powerline rate) is about 30%-35%(the actual conversion rate depends on the electric wiring system). So the actual throughput should be about 109Mbps-127Mbps.

It would be better to run\buy a CAT5e or CAT6 cable to run between the two rooms but I appreciate that might be a challenge\not possible. That however will not be a bottleneck for you.

skapunkmetalskater

Novice Member
Hi folks. I wanted to reply and update this thread after giving it some time and explored my options.

So I purchased the TP-Link AV1300 3-Port Gigabit power line adapters and INITIALLY, there was no difference and thought it was a waste of money.

However, after 3-5 days, I noticed my speeds were increasing, and I'm now up to par with my wireless network which I am very happy with. See the screenshot of my recent speed test.

speedtest-6th-december-2021.png

I did replace my old Cat5 cables and with Cat7 Gigabit LAN cables, which made no difference, but it was after replacing my 500mbps power line adapters with the TP-Link AV1300 3-Port Gigabit power line adapters that made a difference. After 3-5 days, which is a bit mad that it took a while to sort out, but I've been enjoying the speeds I pay for now.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Cat 5 cables are capable of gigabit-speed normally and also 10GbE on short runs.

Glad you managed to get nearer the speed, just be careful if\when you decide to upgrade your speed in the future as the powerlines may will be the bottleneck going forward

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom