Question Ethernet to Garage

DavidT

Duplicate post deleted

gagaga

Not read everything, so apologies if repeat.
Check the wiring is correct. Modern pc lan ports are pretty good at forgiving wiring errors and working around it - eg once upon a time you'd need a cross over cable to connect 2 pcs, now you just connect a cable and they work it out.
So if you connect a pc to the cable and speed test, all looks good. The switch might be less forgiving so is actually transmitting at 100 or just getting itself in a mess so constantly throwing errors if the cable wiring is off.

Finkfan

Novice Member
I have Ethernet in my garage too. A couple of years ago I purchased a 20m cat 6 cable from Amazon. Not the cheapest, but not expensive either. Its running from the back of my BT homehub in the middle of the house to a Cisco switch in the garage/office. All worked well, but not at the speeds I expected. I upgraded to Bluejeans bonded pair cat 6 and the performance is perfect. I can’t recommend these cables enough. Every Ethernet and hdmi I’ve purchased since has been Bluejeans

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
To the new posters, the cable appears fine. It is more likely the OP is still connected to WiFi in his house which is why it is so slow.

@Basinguy did you manage to test.

Basinguy

Just got round to trying it out again. The Wi-Fi definitely doesn't reach the garage, windows shows it as disconnected so no chance that it is attempting to use the Wi-Fi to stream.

Maybe its just a coincidence that these dropouts occur while i'm not in the house o_O

Triplefun

I had a similar issue a few years ago in another house. I traced it to my samsung tv which had a wired link to the switch shared by my audio system. When I disconnected the tv there was no stuttering in the music. So I connected the tv using WiFi and the problem went away.

Basinguy

Ah, then perhaps it is one of my famously Chinese cameras in the garage. Possibly sending all its data back to the motherland :eek:

Triplefun

Try removing other items, other than the router, off the switches connecting the nas to the garage and see if there is an improvement

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
So you have done iPerf over the cable for a period and all seems well.

As a comparison what do you get from Speedtest.net is it the right speed for your BB connection?

Basinguy

So you have done iPerf over the cable for a period and all seems well.

As a comparison what do you get from Speedtest.net is it the right speed for your BB connection?
Yep, getting pretty much identical (36mbps both in the house and garage)

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
So when you are in the garage make sure you disable your WiFi and see if the problem reoccurs. While you out of range I wonder if it is just picking it up occasionally and then swapping to it. Shouldn't do but given cable seems ok seems odd.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom