• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ethernet port on new Toshiba HD Players

telford_mike

... anyone know what it's for?

hufartd

probably some sort of DRM,
online check for copied discs.
welcome to big brother they know what you'll be watching and when.

witters

It's to enforce region coding etc. If it detects the player has been modified it will lock it and render it basically useless.

telford_mike

If it does these things, couldn't you merely disconnect it? I was hoping it might stream media from a home network? Or something else useful?

alan_t

it is a good question....but not everyone as a internet connection.

though maybe it could also be used for streaming.

m0v1em4n

Hi all,

I have read that it’s for firmware updates and interactive features that might appear on the disc
If I find the article will post

Steve

AndyC_772

It's not such a dumb idea IMHO. Ethernet is very cheap to add these days. With a new format, especially one as complex as HD-DVD, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some early compatibility problems just like we did for DVD, so a mechanism to upgrade the player via a PC could be quite handy.

Also, very few PCs will have HD-DVD drives for a while yet, so it theoretically provides a way to distribute PC-based content on HD-DVD discs with a way to actually get the data into a PC.

Wasn't one of the design objectives for AACS (the HD-DVD / blu-ray encryption system) to allow video to be streamed to other devices? Recognition, at least to some extent, that people demand more flexibility than 'one disc, one copy, one place'.

ahin4114

I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's for license checking. Also, with the current range of DVD's interactive features requiring a PC and web access, some kind of access to online content to non pc owners is probably likely.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom