Question Ethernet Extender

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by JEDIBLADE, Jul 15, 2018.

1. JEDIBLADE

JEDIBLADE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I had a problem with my landline and called sky, they diagnosed a loop on the line which was an extension on my main line which went under my conservatory. This was the extension my broadband was plugged into. I was aware that this could fail and not surprised, my main phone socket is in the hallway well away from a power socket and not suitable for the router.

The only choice I had was to move the router upstairs to another extension, I was advised that I could still get an ethernet cable to my nuc using bt powering flex 600 extenders. While they work the wired speed has dropped to 5mbps , the speed into the router is 70 mbps. The WiFi speed is steady between 50 - 60 mbps.

Any ideas what's wrong?

2. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,309
    The speed of a powerline adapter like your BT Flex extender is dependant upon many things.

The condition of your house wiring, the layout of it, how much interference there is on the circuit etc, etc.
    I could use the same ones and get a great connection in some of the sockets in my house, less so in others, particularly when changing floors.

I would say those adapters are quite low spec. 600 Mbps is way below what the newest models can do at 2000 Mbps, however you never get anywhere near the claimed speed as you've found out. I doubt faster plugs will make a huge difference to you. What I would say is to make sure the adapter is plugged into the wall outlet and not into an extension if you're using it like that.

It seems your only solution is to live with wireless as it seems your wifi speed is pretty decent or to run a hardline ethernet cable.

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241