Ethernet Cables?

ap25

Standard Member
Hey people, just a few questions

thinking about getting a very long ethernet cable (30m) for my xbox 360. my router is downstairs and i want to play online in my room.

Just wondering is this would work with my xbox 360.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat5e-RJ45-Ethernet-Network-Cable/dp/B000IAHNRK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233163539&sr=8-5

Thanks for all your help. :)

Kristian

As Andy says, that cable will be fine. The other alternative is to use home plugs. There's a FAQ at the top of the page. It will be more expensive and not as quick but it may do the job with trailing wires around, assuming you can't hide the cat5 cable.

Cheers,

Kris.

super-saint

On the same subject, any advise on taking these cables outside the house & then back in?

Someone has advised that cable would need no trucking as no electricity is being taken along cable.....want to take lead out of loft & down outside wall but am worried that lead is open to elements

Thanks

Alistair

On the same subject, any advise on taking these cables outside the house & then back in?

Someone has advised that cable would need no trucking as no electricity is being taken along cable.....want to take lead out of loft & down outside wall but am worried that lead is open to elements

Thanks

You mean taking Ethernet cables outside the house?

When you push the cable outside of your loft wall and down the outside wall of your house, have a gentle curve on the cable, rather than a hard, tight curve. You are well within the max cable length for Ethernet but gentle curves are required to maintain max performance. I would look to buy the best quality cable you can but you can get away without armoured cable.
If you are buying a pre-made cable I would get some cling film taped around the socket to keep it clean and damage free. :)

super-saint

You mean taking Ethernet cables outside the house?

When you push the cable outside of your loft wall and down the outside wall of your house, have a gentle curve on the cable, rather than a hard, tight curve. You are well within the max cable length for Ethernet but gentle curves are required to maintain max performance. I would look to buy the best quality cable you can but you can get away without armoured cable.
If you are buying a pre-made cable I would get some cling film taped around the socket to keep it clean and damage free. :)

Many thanks...will i see any performance difference with a £5 ebay cable over a £30 one from my local PC shop ?

drummerjohn

The cable will deteriorate outside from the effects of UV\heat\cold etc. However, you're looking at a few years of use before you will notice any effect and at £6.99 for a cable it's hardly worth worrying about.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom