ethernet cables for outside use

Glasbo

Does Ethernet Cables have different ranges for example

I am looking for a cable to connect my router to my xbox it is around 20 metres but will running outside do i need a special type of Ethernet cable if so can you point me into the right direction

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
You can get external ones and signal degredation starts to happen after around 100m (in an internal run) but you would probably be fine just using standard cat 5e ethernet cables outside. Obviously pay close attention to sealing where the cable comes back inside.

*EDIT*

You'll probably find there is more damage done to the cable from UV rays by the sun than anything else, if you're fitting any cables externally just make sure and tie them in well so they're not flapping about too.

*EDIT 2*

Updated length :)

Last edited:

majnu

Distinguished Member
You can get external ones and signal degredation starts to happen after around 30m (in an internal run) but you would probably be fine just using standard cat 5e ethernet cables outside. Obviously pay close attention to sealing where the cable comes back inside.

*EDIT*

You'll probably find there is more damage done to the cable from UV rays by the sun than anything else, if you're fitting any cables externally just make sure and tie them in well so they're not flapping about too.
Are you sure its not 100m?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Are you sure its not 100m?
It's 100m (recommended 90 for fixed runs):

According to the ANSI/TIA/EIA standard for category 5e cable, the maximum length for a cable segment is 100 meters (328 ft). If longer runs are required, the use of active hardware such as a repeater, or a switch, is necessary. This 100-meter limit is all inclusive. According to the standard, the practical limit for permanently installed cable is about 90 meters, leaving 5 meters at each end for the patch cables that connect the end equipment to the wall panel.
The same applies for CAT6 (unless running at 10Gb where the max. length is less).

mattclarkie

In this case length isn't an issue, and I think the 100m is actually specified as 100m horizontally and doesn't cover other directions and interference from nearby cabling. Maybe they think gravity slows the electrons down :confused:.

Officially you need to use cable with UV protection because the outer-covering (which in UTP is it's only shielding) degrades in sunlight, but this is not an issue really. 3 years ago I installed some terminals which required 2 external runs of cable, the only stuff I could get hold of was interior bulk cable which was rated for air conditioning ducts but not outside use, it's been 3 years and it is still fine. It has started to go a funny colour in a few places so it will probably need switching in 18months, but 5years is a pretty good run compared to the price saving over exterior grade cables.

Trending threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom