Ethernet Cable

-Jay-

Ex Member
Reaction score
doe`s anyone know if you can buy these cables.as i need a long one to run from my bedroom to my modem in the living room.so i can play xbox live. so if you can buy them where from.

Most places like Dixons and PC World will sell short patch cables, but these are probably not going to be much good to you.
I found Maplin sold 12 meter lengths bagged up and got one there (make sure you get the straight-through, not the crossover). If they don't sell any that are long enough for you you can buy a run as long as you want off a drum but you will have to fit your own plugs to it. To do this you'll need to buy the tools, which works out expensive for a one-off.

thanks for that i`ve looked on maplins at patch cables.but there is loads & i`m new to all this so i don`t know whats what.

How long do you want as i have a few at home brand new and sealed

City Electrical make um any size you require and they are pretty cheap too ;)

Maplin will make some up for you as well, they crimp em if you ask nicely :p

You are looking for CAT5 or CAT5e (preferably shielded) should be about 50-60p a meter.

The staff at your Maplin are nicer than mine. They just said "Don't make cables. Sell 'em."
I haven't looked at their website so I don't know what they sell on there. But patch cables are usually short things that connect two devices that are close together, like if you've got your hub sitting on top of your processor box or something.

hi guys so let me get this right the cable i need is called patch cable not e/net cable.i will be connecting it to my xbox & then to the modem & when i want to use the pc i will unplug the xbox cable from the modem & put the pc cable back in.

theborg i need 12m or above

If you are unsure liverpool, go to a local PC store (have a look in Yellow pages or something, do not go to PC World) and explain to them what you want. They will usually have a resident techie who will make up the cable you need.

Basically, you need 12m of CAT5 straight cable with RJ45 connectors.

Sorry had a look last night and longest i got is 5 meters but if you wan't i can speak to my old boss who i could get from at trade price.
I'll call him later and let you know, if nothing else it will give you rough price.

that would be great if you could get the price of the cable sinzer said cheers.

Just spoke to them, they will only sell in large amounts, but i had a quick look on ebay and you can get 10m for about a fiver.

cheers mate i`ll have a look :D

Are ethernet cables okay for outside use??

My Xbox will be in front room, cable modem at back of house, laminate flooring down so no carpets to run it under and 2 interior doors to negotiate so I think cabling inside is going to be a serious problem.

Could I put router next to cable modem then run ethernet cable from router back round house then in at front to XBox?

Any PVC cables can be used outside as long as they are are in a position where they are unlikely to get damaged by another object, be exposed to chemical attack or pass near a source of interferrence. They should be fixed to a surface though as long spans between buildings without an additional supporting wire will cause them to stretch under their own weight. If adequate protection against impact is needed you should investigate using steel conduit and running the cable inside that.

Originally posted by DVDcake
Any PVC cables can be used outside as long as they are are in a position where they are unlikely to get damaged by another object...

Cheers for the info, I've since seen a Ethernet Wireless adaptor so I might get a wireless router and go that way. Need to do some sort of hassle/cost analysis first though. Not getting Xbox Live until Xmas so time to think it through.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom