Question Ethernet cable outside house - around or over?

squirrelz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on running an ethernet cable from my study to the lounge, which are opposing corners of the house. Am I best off going around the outside just above ground level, or going up and through the loft and down the other side?

Going around will cross over the main electricity feed for the house if that makes any difference.

I'm comfortable with the drilling and wiring of wall boxes for it, it's the cable routing I'm in 2 minds about.

Up to you, but you really need outdoor grade cat5/6 cable. It needs to be UV resistant if it gets any sort of direct sunlight.

Beware that when installing UTP, for it to meet the "cat" standards, there are stipulations on minimum bend radius (amongst many other things.) So no 90 degree bends such as the corners of buildings - cable needs to be "curved." Also, if I were routing UTP from an external wall through into a building, I think I'd be inclined to to put some "U" loops at the penetration points to discourage moisture leaching in along the cable. Though generally I prefer to house external runs in conduit regardless of whether I was using "external" grade cable or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom