1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by VFRMan, Mar 19, 2005.

1. VFRMan

VFRMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    CDWOW £4.49 Region 2

2. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
  3. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Home of the worst postal system in the world.
    Ratings:
    +15
    Worth noting that the old thread was not at this price and was actually fifty pence dearer.

However, what makes it most unusual is the fact that CDWow have absolutely no stock of this title - I know because they e-mail me every couple of days reminding me of that and offering to cancel the order I placed with them five days ago.
    Why reduce the price of something you don't have?

4. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    It's still £4.99 on the site -- the poster was probably using a 50p discount link.

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i got mine for £2.99 but its true, cd-wow don't actually have stock, but for this price, i don't care if it takes a month, it's worth waiting for as this is probably one of the best movies of 2004 and what a price!!!

6. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I posted the original thread and recieved my copy a week ago for £3.99 (only used one discount link).
    I think the disc is meant for the east europe market R2 + R5, English and Russian 5.1, plus Russian, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian Subs. There is a short advert for a magazine at the head of the disc but everything else is english including the box.

7. VFRMan

VFRMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got this from CDwow:

DVD Video Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind has been dispatched :clap:

8. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered mine for £2.99 on 18th - the c/c was billed, but still to receive an e-mail or the DVD. However, the site shows it as despatched?!

Any thoughts?

9. imnotrich

imnotrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Yeah, you should get an email in the next few hours ;)

The site always shows it as dispatched first, then later on an email is sent and the status will change to Dispatched + Email Sent

Its the way, its always worked with CD-WOW, theres nothing for you to worry about :)

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    johnnycab - I agree with imnotrich, they always send the dispatch email a few days after it says so on the site. I wouldn't worry mate!

11. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i received mine this morning, it's definitely a strange release. The languages are listed as DD5.1 Russian and then DD5.1 English, and on the back of the case the movie is described as "a romantic comedy, though a bit absurde", note the spelling mistake, and it stars Jim Carrey of "Allmighty Bruce" fame.. It also has a patch of foreign writing at the bottom next to the barcode, and refers us to a website www.dvd2002.ee which i believe is Estonian.

12. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, this is a strange copy. Could it be a pirate?

Also, the review on the back contains a spoiler, good thing I'd seen the film already!

:rolleyes:

13. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i like where it says "his memories are dieing away from the memory" - some wonderfully bad translation there. I don't think its a pirate one, it's just an Estonian region 2 which is a bit crap. Still, for £3 who's complaining?

14. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    No. CD-WOW simply do not sell pirates. Why would you expect the English on the back of it to be perfect? It's from a country where English isn't the primary language. Buy a few Hong Kong DVDs and you'll see terrible English on the back of most of them.

Also, I must note that I still haven't received this... :boring:

15. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it might not be a pirate but it's not a true region 2 copy is it if it it's been sourced from Estonia.

:lesson:

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    no, estonia is region 5, but countries like albania, liechenstein, yugoslavia etc are region 2 and its likely its also going to areas like that.

17. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,206
  18. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Ironic use the that smilie, seeing how you're totally wrong and all... :rolleyes:

19. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well when I posted it I thought that I was right...

:oops:

20. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    They're certainly are getting towards the status of 'being a bit dodgy'.
    Sure, the Eternal Sunshine DVD was marked up with the correct absence of features and R5 coding when you looked closely.
    However, look on the site at their Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban. The picture shows a British R2 (Note the PG cert on the front of the box) and has nothing about being R5 encoded. What you actually get is an R5/R2 duel encoded HP3 not destined for the British market as it has no certificate markings and has a different cover to the local disc.
    Not a problem with the quality but it now looks out of place next to the first two films which I bought in the UK.
    Will certainly be careful researching their bargains from now on.

21. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    my copy of catwoman is a r2/r5 disc, i didnt know that when i ordered it but i dont mind, its actualy kinda nice not to have those crappy bbfc logos plastered everywhere.

22. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Had this with cdwow titles before.

Harry potter POA, Matrix reloaded and THX1138 all region 2&5. All same special features except maybe for subs and languages. Only had this with WB dics though.

23. ash2004

ash2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting reading this thread...never thought had to worry about titles from CD-WOW before reading this!!

Incidentally, can anyone shed some light on the quality of their R3 releases? I noticed a Meet The Fockers R3 version, which has a much better cover art than Region 1, is cheaper and has exactly same features....plus comes out just after R1 and much before R2....was wondering if its safe to go for it now....any suggestions?? Same for Ocean's 12 R3 release....much cheaper, earlier than R2 and same features, cover art....

Also, any feedbacks on Shark Tale R3 from CD-WOW?

24. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Ash - Why would you be wondering whether it was safe to buy meet the fockers?, what is it about the thread that you found disturbing?. There aint nothing wrong with dual coding, did you know the vast majority of our discs are dual coded?, region 2 AND region 4 for the Aussies, and we also get the occasional R0 for the budget releases. Only differance is the occasional cover art changes and as you said you prefered the R3 cover go for it!.

Region 3 is fine, you often get better sound with R3 releases too. Just be careful to check exactly what is on the release, often there are a number of R3 releases. I just bought the R3 of Resident Evil Apocalypse for the DTS track.

As for Sharktale R3 the dvd package is crap but the R3 doesn't appear to be missing anything from other regions.

25. ash2004

ash2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The thing that had worried me was not the dual coding, which I am aware of and own many, but the DVD itself of Eternal Sunshine on CD-WOW...from the website, it appears to be identical to Region 2 (apart from the spl features) and there is no mention of it being a East European release...but the spelling mistakes mentioned here on this thread were pretty bad, and I wouldnt want to own it...

So, with Fockers, Ocean's 12 and Shark Tale, what I was worried about was non-English text (or poor English text) on the back cover and inserts, as well as things like forced subtitles or lesser features....

26. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    You could ask cd-wow for a scan of the back cover?. Forced subs are very uncommon, check with dvdcompare.net to make sure, although they don't always have the R3 listed down. As for the extras Region 3 are often lacking some features (listed on the cd-wow page), but often make up for it with better sound.

27. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone else getting mails saying their order has been delayed at the moment?

28. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    To balance my post from earlier I should point out that the R3 Superbits I've had from CDWow have all been superb - all English covers, full content etc. the Black Hawk Down Deluxe was mind blowing.
    However be aware of some of the packaging. The Bulletproof Monk R3 was covered in different languages on the slip case and Amaray and 'The Others' with Nicole Kidman was a no English cover and a slightly oversized box that meant it stuck out on the shelf by around 2cm when lined up with R2 releases.
    CDWow have been doing R3 business for yonks and no one has a problem with them. You pay a little less for them and they are worth a little less when trading on but the problem above is that CDWow are starting to 'blur' the origins of the product they are selling. Afterall, they have a section for R4 discs, listed as R4 discs whether they are duel encoded or not. So why was my Harry Potter in as an R2 with no mention of it actually being a duel encoded R5?

Still, minor problem from a thoroughly reliable seller. Just needs a bit more attention when buying now.

29. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great post Oatmeal, if there was a way to recommend it like on the Fool forums I would.

:thumbsup:

30. playthefilm

playthefilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I had a strange one with THX1138 from cdwow. Bought it as region 2 but when it came it didn't have the bbfc certificate on it....