1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eternal Darkness Impressions

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by stewarthollyhead, Jul 24, 2002.

1. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one word WOW!

I dont think I've ever experienced such a hybrid feast

It's part resident evil, tomb raider, gladiator, pyscho, weird trip

To all gamecube owners get this when its out in the UK

to anyone who owns this with a widescreen tv - a question
    why do some of the cut scenes appear cropped to 4:3 and others as full widescreenin the 16:9 mode?

2. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Sounds good. Anyone know of a PAL release date?

Not sure a about your screen ratio question. It may be that all scenes are in 4:3 but some have black borders added top and bottom to the 4:3 image and this fools the TV into zooming to 16:9 if it's on an auto zoom mode.

RDB :)

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haven't a clue on the release date but I've seen this game in action and it looks incredible. I know a few peeps here have it on import machines and the word is good.

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have imported it a long time ago if it wasn't for some bills >_< Kinda regret buying Resident Evil over Eternal Darkness as well but I'll get the game soon enough. For import gamers though check the game out in prog.scan if you can and remember that the graphics gets better the further you are in the game.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what? is that how it works out or are improving graphics somehow linked to the gamelink, does it have anything to do with the sanity scale I've heard so much about.

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats how it works out I'm told. Anyway that was hardly a spoiler on my behalf ^_^ But from everyone I've spoken to that have imported it, its well worth the money. Just remember that this is a big game so not everything will happen all at once. The graphics are linked to the sanity scale to a degree but I don't want to spoil anything.

Its a shame progressive scan isn't compatible with european Gamecubes.. Then again not everyone here owns a plasma/projector or a suitable CRT. Shame indeed but the RGB connection is great.

7. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I agree. ED blew me away. :D

I imported on the day of its release, and finished it once.
    Though, I'd love to play it again.
    Fantastic game play/story, and its DPLII soundtrack is the BEST on GC.

Just about average graphics/visuals, apart from this every part of this game rocks.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's a great game, although some chapters are much better than others. Best thing about it is the sound - amazingly atmospheric.

Still prefer Resident Evil though.

9. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to concur. Tis a truly amazing game. The lighting especially is fantastic. Prog Scan and 16:9 too. I'm sure I read somewhere that the GC prog scan is game rather than hardware dependent, so maybe a US copy of ED will run in progressive on a PAL machine? (with the aid of freeloader)?

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    McPastry, I echoed those views on a few threads and indeed it would be a nice test to do. Trouble is that the Freeloader disk won't be out just yet. In terms of hardware the NTSC and PAL is almost identical.. I say almost because the PAL GC supports RGB via its AV port and then theres the issue of s-video support.

I'm sure one of us will try out a US game into a PAL GC to find out if it will support prog.scan or not. What I am worried about though is the timing of the game... If the signal outputted was pure NTSC then we would see full screen, full speed games. But even so FMV would be squashed and the timing could be off... A good example would be DDR (USA) on a PAL PS2. Still I have only seen the timing problem on these sort of games so it would be fine for other genres.

The only reason why I want a freeloader is for rentals since I can't see myself buying a PAL game unless its cheap 2nd hand. Plus my mate will be happy since I can lend my titles to him.

11. RES999

RES999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finished ED last night but i was a bit disappointed as i heard that it had about 60 hours gameplay and i completed in about 12 hours. :( A I'm sure that they ran out of ideas towards the end as the last two chapters were incredibly repetitive.

Still a great game though! :)

12. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently playing as some indiana jones type character who has gone back to the tomb and is spending his time putting bracelets on statues and the like. How far am I through the game?

i think its called enter the darkness chapter