1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eta ?????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tiberious, Jan 3, 2001.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When do you expect the site to be up and running guys ?

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish we could give a definite date but if you could pardon our delay we will endevour to launch the site ASAP. I am sure there is no one more frustrated with the slow progress than my partner in this project, and he sure is a patient chap!

We want the site to fill in many of the gaps in the knowledge/understanding of many of the generally available publications/web sites that have covered video processing or review such products. To also put the record straight on a few facts and mis-interpretations and myths. (This paragraph is not meant to be immodest or disrespectful of anyones efforts in this subject)

To achieve that goal I have had to do a lot of research in my (limited) spare time and rely on feedback from somewhat reticent and secretive consumer electronics companies, they can take an inordinate amount of prodding to give up even a morsel of product info.

I can say that the essential research is for the most part completed and it is just a matter of finishing off the information collation and textural/graphical presentation.

We hope it will be have been worth the effort and delay in that our potential readers will gain benefit from the articles and database within.

Thank you for your interest [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Ludae (edited 04-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ludae (edited 04-01-2001).]

3. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey - no problem !.

Good things are worth waiting for.Have you spoken to Denon about their new 2800?.My palms are itching !!.

I am a humble punter, but from what I`ve read so far, the DVDO chipset they are using is deemed superior to the Genesis used by most of the competition.I would be interested in your thoughts.

4. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have contacted Denon about their implementation of the DVDO de-interlacer. As the memory requirements for the DVDO chip to process PAL are higher than for NTSC I was wondering if the American player, which is bound to be imported and sold in the UK, could be tweaked to do PAL progressive.

The same goes for the potential UK version, it will be a modified NTSC version like most players but will they include enough memory for it to do progressive PAL?

Regarding the differences between the current Genesis de-interlacer and the DVDO 503, I would say that comparing them just as de-interlacers then the DVDO503 would be the choice model. It has similar de-interlacing algorithms as the Faroudja models, including a feature similar to Faroudja's DCDi. That's not to say they are of the same caliber of course! The DVDO503 also has more sophisticated up-conversion of the chroma channels i.e. 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 YUV type, than the Genesis product.

However, the Genesis chip is also a scaler and has aspect ratio control features, neither of which can be found on the DVDO503 except it can place a 4:3 image within a 16:9 window.

Not all of the extra features of the Genesis chip are enabled in any (as far as I know) prog scan DVD players yet. It is mostly just used to de-interlace and at least one aspect control feature, which seems a shame considering the cost of some of the players it is used in!

[This message has been edited by Ludae (edited 07-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ludae (edited 08-01-2001).]