1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ET edit?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    I hear that ET is being re-released, but the scene with the government agent are in carrying guns is being digitally remove and they will now be carrying walkies/mobiles.

Any thoughts from the site members.

Personally I think it should have been left as it was.

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Apparently Spielberg, in hindsight, feels that it is inappropriate to have Policemen with guns in a kids movie.
    While I can sympathise with his thought that guns and children should be kept apart, the truth is that policemen in America DO carry guns, and thus, the scene is only reflecting real life.

Also I HATE the idea of going back and re-writing films years later- e.g. Han Solo vs Greedo in Star Wars :mad:

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard a lot of rumours about stuff being taken out of ET to make it more politically correct and junk.

Frankly, I don't mind someone buffing up a film (a la Lucas) with some enhanced effects, or doing another cut of the movie, but modifying a movie arbitrarily to make it more acceptable to the masses is pretty offensive, if you ask me. It's like all the rumours (and some correct) about the Twin Towers being digitally removed from re-releases of old movies. I consider this abuse of the technology, akin to the colourization of movies.

Hell, there's nothing stopping them replacing the Reese's Pieces with M&M's to get more from their product placement contract. Where does it stop?

4. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Must be the backhander from Motorola that did it!

The CGI changes are a little over-sensitive, however. Kids might think it unusual to see Police Officers without weapons and the changes may not register with them anyhow.

It keeps an ILM animator in work I suppose:rolleyes:

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    They should have just remastered the films sound & picture and left it at that. Changing bits around hoofed The Empire Strikes Back especially the bit where Vader (with the right hump) says "Bring my Shuttle" after watching Luke drop off the tower thing. Only to have his original line voiced over by someone else completely ruining the whole scene " Tell the starship to await my arrival" or some other crap.:mad: :mad:

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They should just leave it how it is.

I don't mind replacing old special effects with new, as with the Death Star run from 'Star Wars', because they only enhance the original effect.

It's when they start making stupid changes, such as the infamous 'Greedo shooting first' incident, that they should stop.

ET is a magical film, before Spielberg went too soppy, and should be preserved, not changed.

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree Jase,

That scene in the ESB:SE is just unbelievable - why on earth did they not use James Earl Jones' voice!?! And why change it anyway! I presume they did it because some people (apparently with incredibly low IQs) didn't understand how Darth got from Cloud City to the Star Destroyer :eek: !! Unbelievable.

What always surprises me with these 'special edition' films is that they change some scenes and not others - how do they decide which ones to change? Again in the Empire Strikes Back they changed the scene we just spoke about and yet other scenes which IMHO needed updated (eg some of the Snow Speeder crashes) were not touched!

The biggest problem for me with these changes is that sometimes you just end up with two versions of the film, niether of which are 'definitive'
    e.g. (IMHO) ALIENS. Whilst I like some of the changes they made in the special edition - the sentry guns, Ripleys daughter - there are other scenes I do not like - the colony stuff at the begining. So now I find that I am not happy watching either version! One has scenes 'missing', and the other has scenes I do not like!:mad: :rolleyes: :(

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Must say I watched Aliens the other week on DVD with the added footage, and enjoyed it far more than when I saw it at the cinema, I thought the colony bit was a nice bit of background.
    I also enjoyed the extra footage on the Abyss the bit where the beings are getting tee off at our aggressiveness, added an other dimension to the story. Is there a copy out with the rat under water?

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the Abyss is an exception - the directors cut is much better than the original (it is after all how the director originally wanted it to be presented).
    I believe the rat scene is only cut from the british version, not the region 1. May be wrong about that though.

I personally don't like the colony stuff in Aliens - a) because it takes away from the mystery of the marines arrival at the plant, and b) because the special effects are a little ropey.

According to Darkhorizons today the E.T. DVD will contain both the original and the new versions of the film when it is released. I wish they would do this with all special editions!

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is there a copy out with the rat under water?

Yep, if I remember correctly it's shown on the R1 SE.

11. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I read that the SE of Blade Runner 3 discs is intended to have the original version, directors cut and then the new Ridley Scott directors cut, which he intended but never got time to do last time. So hopefully this'll be a happier thread later in the year for an SE done right.
    Back on topic, did anyone else see the Liquid News report which showed Spielberg in hilarious cowby hats/hard hats etc. - ala YMCA - shooting ET and the practise/audition shots with the kids? It was funny to see him and disturbing to see how he 'worked' with the kids for the crying scenes. The above I think may be included in the SE ed. Just remembered the honour night for him, and Christian Bale revealed how SS (!) got the Chinese actress to slap him for real (aye) on each of many takes in Empire of the Sun to get the shocked look of the boy just right, after continually promising the young Bale that she wouldn't do it again!! So don't send your children to the stage Mrs...

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Is it the extended version?

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi encaser,

Where did you read about the Blade Runner DVD - is it an official announcement, or just another rumour.

Cheers,

Lex.