1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Estimates on future pricedrops...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by The Belgain, Dec 30, 2004.

1. The Belgain

The Belgain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, well I'm sure you guys have been following the plasma market more closely than I have recently, so what do people think will be the timescale for plasmas dropping in price.

For instance, when do you think we'll see:

1. A good quality sub-£1000 42" WVGA plasma (i.e. from one of the reputable manufacturers).
    2. A sub-£1000 42" "HD" plasma (say XGA or greater).
    3. A sub-£1500 50" HD plasma (WXGA or greater).
    4. A affordable 1080p plasma.

At the moment, I guess I'm most interested in 1. and 2.... any chance of 1. in the next few months?

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Interesting thread, i'll throw my hat in the ring first. With Plasma, i guess prices will be driven by the increasing popularity (along with performance) and constant price reductions of LCD.

Anyway,

1. I reckon around 2 -3 years (high street anyway). Probably 18 months for online retailers. I also predict that by this time Plasma will be on the way out...and LCD will reign supreme, along with another new technology or 3 by then (please note; i am firmly in the plasma is best camp at this moment in time and i still hope to be able to purchase one in 2005!) - and anyway - the future is holograms!

2. I would say the same as above...

3. Providing Plasma is still with us, i don't see this size of screen dropping below the £1500 mark for around 3 -4 years...possibly longer

4. Same as 1 & 2