Essentials for my newly purchased Sony a65

seanoevil

Established Member
Reaction score
All,

So I purchased a new a65 with 18-55 lens last week, and am presently doing lots of reading and taking lots of shots and certainly enjoying the new purchase.

Curious though; what essentials would I need to be looking at to purchase to go with it?

Do I need a lens hood or filters at all?

Couple of things I am looking at are a new telezoom lens and a decent camera bag (one that I can use while out cycling).

Wonder if anyone can advise on a decent telezoom lens (budget around 300), and a bag for my camera etc? And of course, anything else I may find helpful!

TIA!

Lens hood - I would certainly get one, amazed it's not standard (it's just a piece of moulded plastic, pence to manufacture, not including one is crazy!)

Filters - depends on where / what you are shooting.
If you think there is a risk of mud / sticks / small stones / salt spray etc hitting the lens then yes, you do need a clear protection filter - Hoya HD are fairly good, but not cheap.
If less likely, then it's a case of weighing up the risk. A lot of people are happy to just have the lens hood provide a bit of protection, others keep their kit out of the way of anything likely to cause harm! Even the high quality clear filters will have some effect on IQ - but will you see the difference? This is a common debate!

The other common filter is a 'CPL' - Circular polariser. This is used to reduce reflections and enhance blue skies, but you do get a bit of light loss using one (up to 2 'stops'). Again, I'd go with a Hoya HD or Pro 1-D.

Lens wise, £300 is spot on for a Tamron 70-300 USD - very highly rated for the price, and a very versatile range.

Cheers for the advice chaps. Looking at the Sony lens hood, 22 quid! eBay have them for a fraction of the cost! Does it matter that they seemed to shaped differently?

Gonna look at that Tamron tomorrow, thanks for the recommendation on that. Filters; I was just thinking to help enhance shots really...

A Nikon strap :D :devil:

Seriously if you like reading then I'd say get understanding exposure by Brian (something) ASAP. It should help getting the most out of your camera and help you understand and develop your style. Only then you can determine what focal lengths you really need and filters etc.

Just my 2p

All,

So I purchased a new a65 with 18-55 lens last week, and am presently doing lots of reading and taking lots of shots and certainly enjoying the new purchase.

Curious though; what essentials would I need to be looking at to purchase to go with it?

Do I need a lens hood or filters at all?

Couple of things I am looking at are a new telezoom lens and a decent camera bag (one that I can use while out cycling).

Wonder if anyone can advise on a decent telezoom lens (budget around 300), and a bag for my camera etc? And of course, anything else I may find helpful!

TIA!

LCD Screen Protector
Microfibre Cloth
Rocket Blower

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom