1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essential Projector Accesseries

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr. Flibble, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered an NEC LT240 projector for home cinema use. I'm going to want to connect it to a PS1/2, VCR, DVD player and satalite decoder. Will I need some sort of converter or line doubler to get the best quality picture from these sources? Can anyone suggest a good one?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I think the Iscan is worth a look.

Why did you choose the 240 over the HT1000? Lumens or cost?

The HT1000 has a great built in deinterlacer/doubler, so you don't need an external box.

You could even try htpc with a suitable capture card and DScaler software.

Gary

3. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thankyou for your reply.
    I chose the 240 as its cheaper.
    I don't want to go the way of a HTPC - have to keep the system as simple as possible for the old pair to use.
    Is the Silicon Image iScan Pro what you mean? I had a look at it here: http://www.av-sales.com/html/scalers_and_de-interlacer.html . Will it do a lot more than the Zinwell ProV+ would?
    The 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown detection caught my eye in the iScan specs. What exactly does that do? Does it allow you to streach a widescreen image to fill a 4:3 screen.....?
    Also (please pardon my utter ignorance), both the ProV+ and the iScan specs say they output RGB singals, and the NEC LT240 has componant video in. Are the two different? Will I need a converter to get the scaler and projector working together?

4. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I have just learned that 3:2 pulldown detection has nothing to do with widescreen and the lark so please disregard that part of my post :) - except if you could explain why I would want that feature over paying less for the ProV+ without it.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I believe the Iscan outputs RGB via a vga socket, so this will connect to the vga/computer input of the pj. It will be progressive by nature, so you'll be getting a much better picture than via interlaced component I would say.

3:2 pulldown is the method applied to NTSC to convert film (24fps) into the 60hz frequency which NTSC tvs run at - it repeats the first frame 3 times, the second frame twice, the third frame 3 times, the 4th frame twice: 111,22,333,44,555,66,777 etc.

It does this to fit 24 frames into 60 fields.

I don't know how this actualy looks via the ProV, so try a new post asking who's using one with a projector, and see what kind of results they're getting.

You could buy a ProV online, try it, and return it within the 7 day distance selling rules - that way you know whether or not it gives acceptable results or not.

HTH

Gary.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mr. Flibble,

The ProV doesn't do as sophisticated a job on de-interlacing or scaling as the Iscan, hence the difference in price. The ProV outputs a computer signal in VGA, SVGA and XGA resolutions and it is reported by members here to do a pretty good job processing signal from a Sky box. I use one for regular TV signals, and it's fine, but the AE100 doesn't do a great job at rescaling XGA to 856x480, its native reslution. It would probably be a good deal better with your choice, as it would be feeding the projector it's native resolution (XGA I think...?).

Sean G.

7. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. Am I getting this right: the ProV+ can't output resloutions such as 856x480 as required by some projectors for best picture while the iScan can. But as the LT240's native resloution is the same as the ProV+'s output I wouldn't need the extra resloution options as offered by the iScan....?

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nope.......... The Iscan outputs 480p and 576p (for NTSC and Pal sources)............ the Iscan and the ProV are not comparable products, imo, the Iscan is a dedicated de-interlacer with processing from Silicon Image, the ProV is more a "do-it-all" box which outputs a computer signal.......... The fact that they both use VGA connectors is about the only thing they have in common..........

You need to decide clearly what it is you want to do - if you want a "switching" box that has a built-in TV tuner, you can connect a composite, Svideo, and computer source to, and route one VGA cable to your computer then that's what the ProV does - it has the benefit of outputting a resolution that's a match for the projector you've chosen.

The Iscan is in a different class, and I would advise seeing one in action or talking to someone who is feeding 480p or 576p to an LT240, to see how the LT240 performs scaling these signals to XGA.

(Hmmmmm...thinks, "seeing one in action first....... " didn't work the last time..............)

Sean G.

9. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. I think what will probably happen is I'll get the pj and see what the picture from the decoder looks like. Then I'll realise I can't do without a tuner and get the ProV+. Then I'll have a look at the picture quality and reaccess the situation from there. Thanks for the info.

So the computer(=vga) input of the PJ is an RGB input (and they dont say this in the PJ spec as all VGA inputs are RGB inputs..)
    Sorry if its like teaching a horse to thread a needle :lesson:

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mr. Flibble,

No one starts out on front projection knowing all there is to know - and most of us learn new "stuff" every day - that's the point of the forum........

Do some reading back thru' threads here and elsewhere, if you come across stuff you don't undersatnd Google is your friend, there's shed loads of info about.

Good luck on your quest...........

Sean G.

11. TheBlueVoice

TheBlueVoice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using this pj (LT240) with a Kiss dp500 dvd player.

This player can output:
    vga 800x600 60hz
    vga 800x600 72hz
    vga 1024*768 60hz
    vga 1024*768 72hz

and also various component modes, both interlaced and progressive.

What's the best choice of output for the best picture quality?
    I suppose this would relate to the relative qualities of the scaler in the pj and the scaler in the dvd player?

Thanks!

12. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Has anybody tried the Creative Montage? It seems to be similar to the ProV, but I can't find it anywhere on Creative's website. Just wondering if it does a better job of de-interlacing than the ProV...

Edit: It can be found to buy at http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=60008

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Not sure if it'll be better than Prov+ (which uses Philips 7118 chip) and also doesn't have teletext so is likely to be more similar to the original ProV.

14. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TheBlueVoice, I'd guess that one of the 1024x768 resolutions would be best, this being the native res or the lt240

I've a prograssive scan DVD player with component outputs (Teac DR-L700). Shall I connect this straight to the projector with a componant to 15pin vga style connector or would there be any benifit putting the signal through a ProV+ or iScan first?

15. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone answer this last question for me? I don't want to waist money buying a wrong cable:)

16. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Here's a good link which explains everything you need to know about prog scan, interlaced, picture problems. Has some great pictorial examples as well to help explain. Also reviews all the kit (Briteview, Iscan etc). It also explains the difference in the chipsets (Iscan vs Players etc). Roughly speaking I'd say use the component feed from your player straight into the projector if it's prog scan already.

Only worth buying a external processor (like the Briteview or Iscan) if you have a number of Interlaced sources you want to convert (games console, vcr, free view etc).

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

17. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot. Thats a great artice, very informative.