1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essential Plasma tweaks

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by haujobbz, Jun 15, 2003.

1. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    After recently investing in panny 37 inch plasma and high end dvd player, my overall view of the picture was good but i could see there was a lot more room for improvement believe me.

You see plasma screens are very revealing displays much like a very high quality amplifier that reveals the source you put through it and as you know when tweaking things like using better interconnects and mains leads even good isolation platforms you reap the benefits to a large degree so what i did is invest in a few tweaks ill list them here:

1:bought a russ andrew mains lead for the plasma and dvd player and the difference was amazing hugely reduced noise in the picture and much better colours were reproduced also the detail was much better and defined, try it for yourself if you dont believe me.

2: as a isolation platform for the dvd player i decided to make my own and this prooduced similar results,what you need to buy is 2 pieces of 18 mm mdf and buy yourself an inner tube a small 1 preferbly and sandwich it between the mdf boards,then what you do is tweak around with the amount of air you put into the tube, i leave the tube at a quite soft setting due to better absortion of vibration.

3: also if you can afford a high end component lead please do yourself a favour and dont buy a 50.00 one buy a 200.00 one like a nordost component lead and you wont believe the results trust me, just remember a plasma is very sensitive to wwhta you feed it with and will show what you put throught it.

Thanks haujobbz :smashin:

2. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Interesting post haujobbz. What DVD player are you using?

I have considered buying a new power cable in search of PQ improvements but it has always seemed like a bit of a gamble.

I am using an Arcam DV88+ to feed my Panasonic 42" plasma. They are connected by a Chord component cable (cost approx £120 if I remember). Do you reckon any of your suggestions would give me a significant improvement?

3. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Considering your using such an excellent setup you would see definete improvements by upgrading the mains cables on the plasma and dvdplayer.

also try the isolation technique its excellent, try the nordost component leads and see what you think as well.

I definetly couldnt live without these tweaks:zonked:

4. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    haujobbz,
    nice tweaks!!! :smashin: The isolation platform is an oldie but a goody!!

As for your comments about the Nordost cable, Im sure its an excellent cable but what did you compare it with? Obviously there should be a difference between a £50 & £200 cable, so what about cables in between that price bracket?

I have been down the tweaking road with hi-fi and I know that high cost tweaks doesn't always equate to high performance!!
    My madness (As I called it) extended as far as £1000 Transparent interconnects and £2500 speaker cables!!! :zonked:
    VFM also goes out of the window IMO with the more expensive tweaks, but as I say, my experience is limited to the audio side of things.

What improvements did you gain in picture quality using the Nordost?

Im quite interested, as I intend to purchase a plasma very shortly and would like to squeeze the most I can get out of it using any good tips along the way! :smashin:

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I'd suggest trying a much more affordable option of any of the cables done by X3ELS, Mark Grant or Groundy. They are all excellent RG59/60 cables terminated with the correct RCA or BNC 75Ohm crimp plugs. Pretty confident they'd give Nordost a run for the money. EX3ELS are best I have found, but I've not tried the other two.

I can confirm that changing mains lead to superior model will increase quality with the DV88...not sure on plasma's.

I'm not sure I am in such a rush to go to Halfords for some inner tubes.....

Gordon

6. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I compared the nordost lead with a chord 120.00 lead,ixos 100.00 lead,audioquest 150.00 lead. and the nordost was miles better, much crisper and cleaner, improved 3dimensionality.

and I thought tweakin with hifi was good:zonked:

Visual equipment definetly shows the differences when tweaking more than hifi does.

By the way im using a panansonic 37 pw5bx and a denon 2800mk2 but i might upgrade to a arcam dv88 but due to feedback about the differences im thinkin about it, have you compared the denon with the arcam.

I think that the mains is definetly a major contribution to plasma noise and grainy images.

I love tweaking:clap:

7. monocle

monocle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bloody hell, £855 at Russ Andrews for a mains cable!! I am definitely not into this as much as some of you guys. I may spend £85 on a set of cables.........but £855 for ONE??!! Hang on I'm just going to look at it again.........No it really does say £855. Imagine that...That's £1710 for two! And that's just to power the thing up! You guys must REALLY like watching films. Come on, buy a £400 lead and give the rest to a homeless child or something....yea ok, only pulling your leg.

8. Spanjab

Spanjab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Holy god!

9. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    :eek: :eek:

dvd

10. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    C'mon, play fair. The £855 cable is made with silver wire and is as thick as a baby's arm! RA do mains cables from as low as £27.

I've not put a PowerKord on my plasma yet but I can certainly vouch for the Nordost Optix Component lead. http://www.bestpricetv.com have it for £189.99 which is a bargain. The detail on a good quality disk (I stress disk and not film) like Pearl Harbour is amazing!

D.

11. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    You really DO NOT NEED to invest to their most expensive range of Russ Andrews mains cables. I bought their Yello cable, one for the plasma one for the DVD player and yes I saw the improvement suggested. I even put it in a separate thread a fe months ago with my observations. If I remember well this cost around £40 or so...

12. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive worked on professional broadcast equipment costing
    Hundreds of thousands of pounds.

They are powered by the same mains lead that you get with your £49.99 dixons Telly.

13. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Briandzo does your denon 2800mk2 lip sync and have the chroma bug because mine does, if your doesnt what firmware are you using:rolleyes:

14. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do get occasional lip sync issues.
    oddly this isn't consistant & noticable on all disks.

although i recently set a delay of 80ms in the amp
    for both the Sky digital feed and the DVD feed.
    As I was experiencing the lip sync issues more frequently with sky digital.

I could also see the chroma bug more offen on sky digital (graphics on news channels etc). this has since been resolved with the iscan ultra.

I havn't noticed the chroma bug with the 2800.
    thats not to say its not there.

i have region decoded PAL progresive version of 2800mk2

15. mike1

mike1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I went in to musical images in Beckenham to buy a component cable (5 meters long) they told me 2 weeks wait and £250. The alternative was the DIY root 5 meters of cable 6 BNC plugs £24. Connecting Meridian 598 to 50” Fujtisu excellent results

Mike

16. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Can someone explain why fitting expensive mains cable the last few feet or so, from the plug to the Plasma has so much perceived picture improvement, when the rest of the mains wiring is standard ring main stuff.
    Makes no sense to me at all, or am I missing something here!
    Is it the Resistance?.....no, Inductance?.....nah. Reactance?.....can't be.
    So what is it ?
    regards.

17. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the right marketing strategy you could sell sand to the arabs.

18. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    I'm always very dubious about the benefits of mains cables, but one thing that might make a difference is if the cable is shielded. Not in terms of picking up interference from outside, but in terms of helping other cables in the vicinity not to pick up interference (either 50Hz or RF) from the mains cable.

19. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not wanting to add fuel to the fire but if the quality / operation of a piece of electronics equipment can be improved by changing the power supply cable in this way (i.e. not changing supply voltage or frequency) bearing in mind that the cable comes before the on board power regulators and power filtering electronics on board then there is something wrong with the power filtering or power supplies in the equipment (i.e. not correctly designed!).

I personally believe this is 'snake oil' and whilst im sure some people have noticed improvements, there is no real reason it should make any difference! As people have already said, the supply is more likely to be affected further downstream by other factors. 1.5m of expensive mains cable after 100's meters of ring main and house supply is a complete waste of money IMHO of course ;)

Steve

20. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NicholasB - you do have a point but of course if you are going to spend £800 + on a mains cable I would hope that the mains and signal cables are routed separately!!

Steve

21. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Removal and rejection of RFI and EMI does the trick. Amazing, but true -- can work even better with Sky digiboxes, CD players, DVD players, amps, etc.

I'd read about Russ Andrews, Ben Duncan, etc. products, did some research and made up my own mains leads. (Plenty of posts in this board's DIY forum.)

I'd heard good things about Mark Grant's IEC mains lead, and even better things about his Figure-8 lead (most people use for Sky digiboxes).

I was kind of sceptical about a mains lead making a difference to my Sky+, not because I don’t believe mains leads make a difference, but because in between Sky+ and Panny5 50” plasma is a JS-Tech RGB2YUV converter and a Silicon Image iScan Ultra.

Using Mark's cable, the first thing that struck me was the improvement in sound. I had to double check as I use optical digital link from Sky+ (and previously my old Sony digibox) to amplifier, and I have no idea why it would be improved; but it was. Clearer range, crisper and more precise all round, and very open sound; but the most interesting change was that I had had to turn the volume down on the amplifier from its usual setting as the signal was so much louder.

Most impressively it certainly passed the wife test. I changed the cable at lunchtime and didn't tell Mrs StooMonster. She called me to ask me why the Sky+ volume was louder and needed a lower setting on the amp; and she thought I'd bought a new video processor because the picture had improved so much ... and she knows nothing about AV.

As I said above I was sceptical that it would make any difference at all to the image; but again, it does. Even through JS-Tech RGB2YUV and iScan Ultra the picture has a more vivid clarity, deeper contrast with richer and more natural colours but more importantly it's clearer with less artefacts.

I was amazed. Mrs StooMonster was astounded that it was only a cable change and not some new expensive box; I had to prove it to her by replacing figure-8 cable with the original "free" one.

Mark Grant also does these cables with silver plated plugs for even better performance, and his cables are not expensive. You can PM him here. Check out the DIY forums, there's loads of posts about this very subject.

StooMonster

22. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I completely agree using a high quality mains lead definetly improved the picture less grain much clearer finer detail and less artifacting.

:zonked:

Maybe noise in the mains is translated into artifacting thats what i reckon, im sure most plasma owners use ferrite clamps on there cables into sensitive electrical devices like plasmas even my xbox has them.

To prove how essential these tweaks r i did a test with a vga cable with and without ferrite clamps and mu word what a difference without the ferrite clamps picture was noisy and unfocused and with them it was focused and very clear with excellent detail.

:devil:

23. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe im missing the point but we weren't talking about ferrite clamps on VGA cables? Mains cables are an entirely different kettle of fish & just changing the standard mains cable for an expensive one is a waste of money.

There are many likely sources of 'noise' on to the mains in a house, whether you would ever notice them depends on how bad they are but anything with a large 'power factor' i.e. inductive loads, motors etc will introduce some noise onto the supply. Factories in the UK are required to fit power factor correction boxes (VERY LARGE CAPS) to correct for industrial machinary loads on 415v supplies as in very bad cases the supply can be changed from a nice sine wave to one that is heavily saturated with harmonics.

Steve

24. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    This is getting crazy...........

So, perhasp the next upgrade for my Pio 433 MXe and Pio717, is actually new mains leads for both, and not a DV 88+, or de-interlacer or anyhitng like that!

!!!!!!!!!!!!

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

25. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    This is getting crazy...........

So, perhasp the next upgrade for my Pio 433 MXe and Pio717, is actually new mains leads for both, and not a DV 88+, or de-interlacer or anyhitng like that!

!!!!!!!!!!!!

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

26. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    NO what i was doing is just illustrating how even other types of cables are susceptible to interference, but yes i agree i was originally talkin about mains :blush: which is a different subject all together.

But anyhow theres definetly very noticable results when improving mains leads on plasmas and dvd players, and yes i suppose many think that im mad and that im just imagining the differences but no it really does work.:lesson:

i have even upgraded the mains lead on my toaster and the toast tastes better,much crisper.
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

27. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you cooked your last slice of toast on your plasma /dvd player (or was that watched a dvd on your toaster?) :D I tell ya - those new fangled mains leads are leading edge :rotfl:

Seriously tho - im pleased you've noticed a difference.... :rolleyes:

Steve

28. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Just got my local Electricity company to rewire our mains in triple screened solid silver fibre optic cable. Wow ! Everything works at the speed of light now !

Sorry chaps.. it's the heat and the summer soltice....!!

29. Bassline@ddict

Bassline@ddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

30. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Getting back to the subject of essential plasma tweaks, here's a couple of doozies (and they're cheap too):

1. Clean your glasses, and
    2. Dust your plasma's screen.

Works wonders.

D.