ESPN and Prem Football

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mkcurtis, Feb 3, 2009.

1. mkcurtis

mkcurtis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  2. rbj

rbj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    It's shocking already how Setanta have got all the Prem games late on Saturday as well as the Monday night games.
    In this day and age SKY HD should be showing every Premier league game there is.

3. Robbie Razzler

Robbie Razzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    It wasn't sky's fault, they weren't allowed to bid for ALL packages.

4. rbj

rbj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Yeah i'm not saying it is it's just so annoying how you can't watch every game your team plays on TV.
    The biggest thing that annoys me about it is when you go abroad and they have the game playing on their TV channels out there.

5. DP10

DP10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The greedy FA are making it really expensive to watch the Premiership on TV. Before it was just sky which was fine but now with Setanta you need another subscription to watch the same amount of football as before. Ridiculous.

6. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The only good news is that ESPN will not spend two years going backwards over HD like Setanta have done.

They treat HD with proper respect and would almost certainly do a deal with Sky to run an HD football channel via the Sky pack.

Sky would be happy with that and it would give ESPN the foothold without massive expense.

Setanta are still not showing in HD the games they took from Sky which Sky DID show in HD two years ago.

This might be Setanta's undoing. Will the EPL grant rights for another 3 years to a company seemingly not investing in HD when over the next 4 years most viewers will demand HD.

ESPN and Sky should be pointing this out during the bidding.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  7. Dazza115

Dazza115
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is the sort of thing that has me quite angry with all the competition rules etc, it forces the games to be spread out over different providers but doesn't maintain any semblance of quality.
    Noone can argue right now that sky are by far the best broadcaster of football with the HD channels and football first however with the recent bidding wars it has left sky with a much smaller package deal for prem football. It also means that for the most part the consumer looses out heavily, instead of having one fee and being able to see most games in goo - great quality they are given the choice of paying that for far less games and an extra fee on top to get the rest of the games in bad quality that barely qualifies for an internet stream.

I subscribe to both sky and setanta, but lately i have become more and more disillusioned with setanta and just how poor their service is. I pray that sky get the rights for more packages even if it does end up costing more, i would drop the setanta sub in an instant anyway.

8. brewertop

brewertop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wen the digital was in its infancy, it was rumoured that every prem club wud have its own channel showing its own games this is i think with a advent of a third subs package going that way. the idea was you bought a season ticket to watch your teams home games and pay per view for away games.

All a third package is going to bring is-

more expense to subscribers
    more bad kick off times
    lower attendances

i mean ive got setanta and sky sports hd, costs 62 quid now, isnt that enuff?

cant see me pushing the boat out for a third package unless its part of setanta or sky

9. kenedin

kenedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    I'll certainly agree with what you've said. This round of bidding will prove interesting. Are Setanta up for it? Are ESPN prepared to put their money where the HD is? Probably get no results today if the bids are close, so maybe some horsetrading between Sky/ESPN on the cards. Frankly I'd give anything to see the back of Setanta. ( and ITV ). Unfortunately we're stuck with these two till 2012 for FA Cup & England games.

10. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    What would make perfect sense - so will not happen* :)* - is that they should let one supplier have ALL the rights in HD - so that any subscriber could pay a premium price (eg to Sky) to watch them all in HD if they choose.

And, to satisfy the purpose of the original EU bureaucrat concept that went so wrong, let Setanta have their existing twin pack in SD so that they can offer a cut price deal to those subscribers who cannot afford HD or Sky. And just want to view some games available via a cheap package.

This would then provide the best options to every potential viewer, not the mess we have right now.

11. wednesday83

wednesday83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    For me Sky beats every channel out there for football coverage, not just the premier league but also the championship and so on.

Heres my idea.

Let all the bidding channels have rights to everygame live and let the customer choose the channel they wish to watch it on. For example, Sheffield Wednesday Vs man Utd - all channels such as Sky, sh*tanta, ITV and ESPN would be able to screen the game at the same time.

Id set a rule that each game must be filmed in HD and would let each channel take a turn of filming the game. Sky Would obviously get the big games to film.Sky would also be guarenteed the HD copy.

This way the customer wins and the channels get the coverage they want.

Sky is simply the best in producting live football. please dont take it away.

12. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I used to watch the football on ESPN when I lived in Canada, they had a lot of premiership and champions league games on all the time and it was not a subscription channel :thumbsup:, do you have to subscribe to ESPN on Sky/Virgin or is it a free channel?

13. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The problem with that idea is that the money paid is largely paid because of exclusivity, If every game was available via a cheap supplier or via Sky then -firstly Sky would lose subscribers to the cheaper deal (even with the lower quality) and secondly Sky or anyone else would pay a lot less for non exclusive rights.

So the EPL players would only afford two jags per year. The EPL will not deliberately bring about a system that will bring less money.

My suggestion above allows for exclusivity of most packages but adds in a package that could be bought in both SD (for a cheap to air and subscribe football for all viewer) and at a lower non exclusive price in HD as well.

Then viewers still get a choice and can watch EPL without subscribing to Sky (the real reason behind the EU tinkering) but Sky subscribers could choose to watch all games via Sky and not be forced to go with the other subscriber as well (Setanta, ESPN or whoever).

This would create the breaking of the monopoly without causing a need to pay far more to watch the same thing that the decision actually engineered.

Never going to happen, of course.

14. dave_a

dave_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sky got to keep 4 out of 6 packages. 2 more still up for bids, it is believed Sky are after one more.

Is ESPN part of the Setanta package at the moment??

15. mkcurtis

mkcurtis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I think it is but who knows what might happen if ESPN win a package of games, would they make a profit from the Setanta Subs alone or launch something else?

16. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    ESPN is part of the Setanta package.

17. Deepus

Deepus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Let's hope that Sky win one of the other 2 packages remaining. Imagine the revenue loss at Setanta with less Premier League football than they have now!

18. DP10

DP10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hopefully sky will get another package, the SS pack will be much better value if they did. However sky and value for money dont really go well together.

19. sizedoesmatter

sizedoesmatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    BBC SPORT | Football | Premier League | BSkyB keeps Premier League rights

BSkyB has retained its share of live Premier League broadcast rights in the UK for 2010 to 2013.

The Premier League announced on Tuesday that the subscription-only broadcaster had been awarded four of the six packages of audio-visual rights.

That is the same number BSkyB has held since 2006. The remaining two packages will go to a second round of bidding.

I wonder if Setanta have run out of money as all the other deals are just continuations

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  20. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    In this instance I think they do!

Prior to Setanta getting their EPL games, it cost only £50 extra for Prem Plus. Now to see the same amount of games you have to subscribe to Setanta which costs anything from £6 - £12.99 a month I believe. Oh yes, Prem Plus was also available in HD for that £50 too! So it costs more to see the same amount of games than when Sky had them and there's no chance of viewing the Setanta one's in HD! :mad:

I won't subscribe to Setanta on principle until at least they offer an HD service, despite missing the USPGA too! :thumbsdow

ATB

Max

21. rbj

rbj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73

I won't get Setanta on principle as well, I really hope they go bust soon.

22. paddymcn

paddymcn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Please, everyone cancel their Setanta subscription today, that'll impact on any bid they make for the remaining packages....

23. gazfromhodthorp

gazfromhodthorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i cancelled mine last month on the basis of no hd. everything they flim is with hd cameras and then sold abroad to be viewed in hd.
    this is taking the **** out of it british subscribers who want to watch in hd.
    i hope that they go bust and give all the football back to sky.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  24. johny1980

johny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    i begruded it at first but have grown to enjoy it as a channel with the ufc & boxing along with lfc tv.

the only annoying thing as youve highlightes is no hd but that will come

25. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Like those that comment like statement above, this is not true.

Prior to Sky having to share its coverage its contract was for 92 games.

SkY's current deal is for 92 games

The games Setanta show are added extra to what was available before.

SSN has been saying the above all morning.

26. DP10

DP10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There was a PPV service which was far cheaper than Setanta, where you are forced to watch sports that no one watches.

27. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Pretty sure it was 88 games on the SKY Sports channels prior to the EU interfering and another 50 on PPV/Prem+, the point was made when they lost exclusivity to Setanta that there would be no reduction in the price of SKY Sports as the numbers of games had actually increased for the SKY Sports sub.

The other difference being the loss of the 50 games on SKY PPV (SD and HD) 46 of which would now be sold by Setanta in SD bundled with other sports for a higher price.

28. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I take your points, just saying what SSN have been saying all morning.

29. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think its a fair deal though considering

I remember when NASN was £15
    Racing Channel was £40

Also the football club channels subscription if you supported one of them.

Its now £10.99 good value now today, but only if you are a fan of all that they show. It could be said that they have better boxing coverage now.

IMO Setanta get a bad rap, but considering SKY had fingers in pies when all these were stand alone channels, its a good deal, where it falls down is the actual shows and not the sports they show.

30. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    It is actually £12.99 pm for Setanta via Satellite.