Spiderhead ( Netflix 2021) Director Joseph Kosinski

Drax1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Once Joseph Kosinski is finished with the Top Gun sequel, Netflix have snared him to direct new sci-fi thriller Spiderhead. It's premise is based on a short story by George Saunders that is sees convicts in the near future, volunteer for medical experiments to reduce their sentences...
As someone who's a big fan of his previous Tron : Legacy and Oblivion, this will at least have some serious eye candy I imagine.
Deadpool and Zombieland writers Rhett Reece and Paul Wernick have scripted it.

Joseph Kosinski to Direct 'Spiderhead' for Netflix After 'Top Gun: Maverick'

Yep, big fan of Jk. Very interested to see what happens with Top Gun 2.

I like Kosinski too and am a big fan/apologist for Oblivion in particular. What worries me however is we've already seen a promising sci-fi director with two previous hits to his name crash & burn on Netflix:

Mute_poster.png

No, not another Spider-Man spin off, but the latest big budget Netflix project, this time from director Joseph Kosinski. After Tron Legacy and Oblivion (not to mention the upcoming Top Gun 2), anything he's involved in is of interest. He's assembled a trio of leads in Chris Hemsworth, Miles Teller and Jurnee Smollett. The premise sees prisoners offered the chance to reduce their sentencing if they agree to use emotion altering drugs. It's base on a George Sanders short story.

Chris Hemsworth & Miles Teller start 'Escape from Spiderhead' shoot with director Joe Kosinski

EoZt-09WMAg8rRp.jpeg

Ha! That's wierd, I'm just re-watching Kosinki's Oblivion. I'd forgotten what a gorgeous looking production it was. More of the same please!

Now retitled 'Escape From Spiderhead'

Now confirmed for a 2021 4th quarter release.

Surprised Netflix didn't drop a trailer for this at the Turdum event, given its supposed 4th quarter release this year.

17 June
Not impressed

I'm not too convinced of seeing Mr Hemsworth as a scientist...The director is the big draw for me here having loved Oblivion and Tron : Legacy.

Damn...not what I was expecting either. This looks like typical Netflix fodder. In other words, crap.

I'm not too convinced of seeing Mr Hemsworth as a scientist...The director is the big draw for me here having loved Oblivion and Tron : Legacy.

I wonder if he is more or less convincing than when he was a computer hacker in Blackhat?

Getting a bit of a Severance vibe. Who am I kidding though, it’s a Netflix film.

Tron and Oblivion were both disappointing though, wouldn't want to watch them again.

Tron and Oblivion were both disappointing though, wouldn't want to watch them again.
I wasn't keen on Kosinski's Only The Brave, but absolutely loved the other two. Both have big rewatch value imo. We'll see how he fares with Maverick and co...

In Kosinski I trust. I liked Only the Brave, really liked Oblivion and loved Tron: Legacy.. and Top Gun: Maverick looks like fantastic fun.

I'm in.

Though I don't like those floating head posters with the names not matching properly. Bring back proper art.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom