Escape From New York - Special Edition

samjet

Ex Member
Reaction score
just bought this today and now have watched it - seeing as i can find no reviews - a few observations

i loved the original and this seemed to be a chance to buy a new and 'improved' version

firstly i watched the previously deleted bank robbery opening scene which explains how/why snake is sent to the island - great as background but the pq shows how much things have moved on

as for the main film - selected DTS audio option

so - what did i think??

the 'high definition transfer' is certainly better than the original and given the age of the original print its probably about the best you can expect - BUT poor in comparison with current releases

the DTS however is a complete failure - maybe this was a step too far ;)

the opening soundtrack and helicopter sounds were about it!! - the sub had an ocassional low rumble and the rears (when employed) seemed to be trying compensate for the lack of front output

in conclusion - a disc for fans - certainly not one to demo your system

Thanx samjet...I love this film so I will grab this......what are the extras like overall....any commentry tracks etc?

I wonder if this is vastly different from the last region1 special edition? Or is this the version you mean?

Escape was shot on a fairly small budget and to be honest film stocks and lenses at this time were not particularly capable in dimly lit enviroments. I don't think we'll necessarily see the quality bettered much more than this.

Wasn't the original mono anyway?

I do love this film! I am Snake Plissken!

I think it's the same as the 2 disk R1 version which came out aeons ago.

I have a hunch (no, it's just the way the light shines on my back) that we have a review coming of the R2 set soon.

Seth Gecko said:
I think it's the same as the 2 disk R1 version which came out aeons ago.

I have a hunch (no, it's just the way the light shines on my back) that we have a review coming of the R2 set soon.

It'll be great to get this on DVD...although if it is the same as the R2 one, it's going to be cheaper to buy Region 1. Sorry to hear about your hunch!

I am pretty sure i reviewed the R1 version a couple of years ago (when i was reviewing dvd's here) perhaps it has been removed.
Love the film.

so the 'new' region 2 is not the same as the quoted region 1

ie the new region 2 has DTS as well as DD 5.1

Odd that they would do a new version of a film and not give it a Region1 release!

samjet said:
so the 'new' region 2 is not the same as the quoted region 1

ie the new region 2 has DTS as well as DD 5.1
Thanx for that definitive answer to my enquiry Samjet ...strange extras indeed :)

I believe the R2 drops some of the extras - Russell and Carpenter's commentary for the deleted first reel of Snake getting caught during the bank heist, for example.

But apart from that, is there much between the two region versions?

Not really - but a dropped Carpenter & Russell commentary (only on this deleted sequence, mind) is a dropped Carpenter & Russell commentary, and personally I find them never less than excellent.

anephric said:
Not really - but a dropped Carpenter & Russell commentary (only on this deleted sequence, mind) is a dropped Carpenter & Russell commentary, and personally I find them never less than excellent.

So, nothing major.

Wouldn't the new PAL disc look better? 576 lines vs. 480? I watched my R1 SE last nite and on the DD 5.1 trk. there was a TON of low end basswise but the PQ was very soft, although an improvement over the even softer original R1 release... Worth an upgrade for me if the PQ is any better as I am PAL native capable.

:) d

Depends if you prefer PAL or NTSC. I prefer NTSC for 60hz prog scan and no speed up. It's the same transfer as the R1 SE so the only improvements in PQ you'll get will be from PAL's higher res, if that floats your boat.

Thanks! Actually on my 92" screen the R1 looks pretty soft so the extra 20% of res. is VERY worth it and no 3/2 pulldown jazz.

:)

Pft. 92" screen (willy) waving :p

So, are people favouring the R1 over the R2?

The R2 has DTS, again if that floats your boat.

Mr.D said:
I wonder if this is vastly different from the last region1 special edition? Or is this the version you mean?

Escape was shot on a fairly small budget and to be honest film stocks and lenses at this time were not particularly capable in dimly lit enviroments. I don't think we'll necessarily see the quality bettered much more than this.

Wasn't the original mono anyway?

I do love this film! I am Snake Plissken!

I always found the night-time photography on this film outstanding. It had a rough 'earthy' quality that newer films don't have.
And the original was stereo - both on VHS and TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom