Escape From New York AVForums Blu-ray Review

I don't see any link to click -link here My browser is really struggling on this site far too many competing scripts.

Great review of one of my favourite films. Not too keen on the artwork but I'll be picking this up for sure.

G9rsBZT.jpg

mNXYveA.jpg

x1i8R4U.jpg

game

brilliant, never knew there was a game
I only have the xbox one so don tthink I could play this bluray
I have the special edition DVD, but would love to see it in HD

Great review - and one of my all time fave Carpenter / Russell classics :cool:

Stunning music score too :thumbsup:

Sounds like this one is certainly worth picking up - they keep churning re-issues out don't they, as did not know this one was coming so cheers for the heads up Chris :smashin:

Interested to see this new remastered transfer myself now.

New extras are always welcome and make the purchase more justified which is good.

Must own movie, A True classic, with a score that amazes.
Ordering today from dvdworldusa with the Fog as well!!

One of the few films that can mug me for a double/triple/quadruple dip without too much protest.

Can't remember it being anything other than murky when I saw it back in '81 so a gentle upgrade is the most I ever hope for.

Great review, ordered.

One of the few films that can mug me for a double/triple/quadruple dip without too much protest.

Can't remember it being anything other than murky when I saw it back in '81 so a gentle upgrade is the most I ever hope for.

Great review, ordered.

To be fair all of Carpenters early work I would dip as many times as I have to as he made at the time some of the most watchable and brilliant films of the time and they get better with age.

Just waiting for All Your Music to pop up on Amazon and then the order will go in and when it arrives another Carpenter fest:)

I went with RoundMediaUk through Amazon, hope to have a speedier delivery than my last Marketplace experience which had me thinking they were sending via carrier pidgeon.

I went with RoundMediaUk through Amazon, hope to have a speedier delivery than my last Marketplace experience which had me thinking they were sending via carrier pidgeon.

Let me know the turn around , I go with All My Music as they have not let me down yet so want to keep the good will for there service.

Really looking forward to watching it , it has been to long.

Love Carpenter, always have and always will...but this film has not aged well. I saw it for the first time a year or two back and was left with a fairly underwhelming feeling, the kind that was very unusual after watching a Carpenter film. That said, the main theme tune is great and Kurt Russell is always watchable.

I've still never watched this properly, I was too scarred after Escape from LA....

I've still never watched this properly, I was too scarred after Escape from LA....
LA is poor in comparison to New york, the films that is!!

I suppose that's one of the advantages of having seen it on it's initial release, having read about it in Starburst and Photoplay (God, I feel old). The Snake character reminded me of a futuristic Man With No Name from the Spagetti Westerns on tv and I just thought that was such a brilliant idea, done so well.

Even back then I laughed at the cheapness of Air Force One crashing being reduced to a graphic on a screen but I can never fault the creativity involved.

Off now to clean my rose tinted glasses :)

I love EFLA, it's a right laugh. EFNY has certain satirical elements but it's played straight, whereas EFLA is out to take the ****.

I watched it for the first time since its release last year , 10mins in I was like ok this is not bad then the rest of the film happened truly awful , the effect are so so bad that surfer board scene with Snake is shocking and it looked shocking in 96 , it makes the effects in Die Another Day look good.

One of he funniest things about EFLA that was on Letterboxd this year was someone ranked it higher in his list of Carpenter films than The Thing :laugh:

I watched it for the first time since its release last year , 10mins in I was like ok this is not bad then the rest of the film happened truly awful , the effect are so so bad that surfer board scene with Snake is shocking and it looked shocking in 96 , it makes the effects in Die Another Day look good.

One of he funniest things about EFLA that was on Letterboxd this year was someone ranked it higher in his list of Carpenter films than The Thing :laugh:

On the other site there are a few real freaks who say pretty much the same thing and argue that LA is a masterpiece etc...:rolleyes:

Could've saved yourself some time on the video appraisal simply by writing 'the Shout! version sucks'!

Great review. I have fond memories of watching this film. A must buy for me and looking forward to watching the extras.

Is this really a 9 or is that rose tinted glasses talking? It looks utterly sh*t.

In my head I can't see how this could possibly have aged well?

I was listening to a podcast where they discussed the transfer's origin. Apparently the camera negative was in a total state and they had to scan the inter-negative instead of the inter-positive as Scream Factory normally do. Can't wait to pick it up as I love Carpenter and Scream always give his films the releases they deserve.

Maybe it has not aged well in the cold light of day. The same may be said for some of the people who enjoyed this movie first time around.

I am going to thoroughly enjoy watching this film again... sometimes you just have to sit back and go along for the ride and enjoy reminiscences from previous viewings.

Scream always give his films the releases they deserve.
Extras-wise perhaps, but as far as the visuals go I disagree. With the the exception of The Fog and Body Bags, every single Carpenter film Shout! has released has as good a/better looking version in another territory. So that's Assault on Precinct 13, Escape from New York, They Live and Prince of Darkness (and even the Halloween films given that the Shout discs auto-cleaned some detail away). Shout!'s encodes are pretty bad and the masters it uses aren't always great to begin with.

Is this really a 9 or is that rose tinted glasses talking? It looks utterly poop.

In my head I can't see how this could possibly have aged well?

It has aged very well IMHO. It's possibly not a 9.......but a 10. ;)

I think I'll stick with the dark MGM transfer and the extras from the MGM Special Edition Blu-Ray, though that second commentary sounds awesome.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom