1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

es/ex speaker config question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by guyb, May 25, 2001.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a question regarding rear speakers in the es/ex configuration. Would it be ok to use the slightly higher power Tannoy mX2's (120 watt peak) as side rears and the not as powerful Tannoy mX1's (100 watt peak) as back rears or should I use identical speakers for all the rears.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    That would be fine. They are tonally matched and you would be using the side channels more than the rears anyway.

Go for it!

Rick

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    In a perfect setup all speakers (incl. center) would be identical, but that's usually no possible due to placement or financial considerations.
    However since you want to use speakers of the same make and series it will be alright, too, as Retro explains since they are tonally matched.
    Though I think you might also get away with 4x MX1 since there usually isn't that much demanding going on in the rear channels.
    If you have 2 MX2s already add the MX1 with confidence, the power rating isn't a criteria as long as they match to the amp.

4. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was going to get 4 mX2's however I have seen a package deal containing 1 mXc, 2 mX4's & 2 mX1's for only £335 instead of £500, so I am going to buy it. Do you think it is worth replacing the 2 mX1's and getting 4 mX2's or should I just do what I suggested and have 2 mX1's and 2 mX2's or should I just opt for 4 mX1's.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The identical speaker arguement is great....but cinema amps dont like it. My front pair are celestion A1s. These are big standmounter with 4 ohm impedence dipping as low as 1 on occasion. When I managed to get an identical pair to use as rears, i discovered my yammy A5 wouldnt take such a load, despite the fact it wasnt even having to drive the fronts! I was well leeved and have had to put the second pair into storage and replace with mission 77ds until a power amp sees its way into the system.

Out of interest, will I then be able to use the missions as es channel speakers?

Adam

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Guy: Stick with what you like, can afford and what will fit in your room. If the MX2's are too big don't get them. Simple as that. If they will fit you could get them because the difference in power needed for them over the 1's is minimal. I would go for the 1's though cos they are miles cheaper in the package.

Buns: You will be able to the use the 77ds as rears speakers in the EX/ES situation but remmember that they will out tonally compared with your Celestions. Try them and see!

Rick

7. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks ReTrO. I will probably just go for the mX1's then. There a bit more compact and, as you say, a bit cheaper.