ES/EX Discrete/Matrix Query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PaulBoy, Mar 2, 2002.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I posted the following on a thread and as slightly of topic it has never been answered ...
    "As a recent convert to 6.1 (no room for two xtra speakers in my lounge unfortunately) I was instantly impressed by the difference the xtra channel makes and on how many of my existing DVDS are able to use it ...
    What I'd like to know (& I'm sure Stuart MR has answered it B4) why is it that most of the DVDS that make reference to the fact that they are ES or EX capable (eg Star Wars TPM) DONT come up on the Denon as "ES or EX Matrix/Discrete" whereas most of the DVDS that DO NOT make reference to the fact that they are ES or EX capable DO come up on the Denon as "ES or EX Matrix/Discrete (eg Oh Brother Where Art Thou) ...
    I know you can set the Denon to Auto Detect ES or EX - I think mine is set to "Off" as per the manual - Is that where I am going wrong or am I talking out of my RCE again! Paul" ...
    ... since that post I have been through most of my DVDS & I am becoming more confused - especially since I put The Eagles HFO on in DTS and got a "ES Matrix" flag on my 3801 (BTW it does appear that there is specific sound coming from the Centre Rear Channel ...
    Do all DTS DVDS do this as this seems to be my experience ?
    TIA - Paul :confused: :confused:

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Hi

If you have the Auto Flag Detect set to "OFF". When you switch on your Back Surrounds you´ll get on the display panel:

DTS ES- Matrix, 6.1 Surround etc etc

This does not necessarily mean the film is EX/ES encoded. Its just the mode your amp is in. Switch off the back surrounds and it´ll read 5.1 or whatever.

The only software you can be definite that you are getting the rear centre channel on is DTS-ES Discrete (as it comes up on the display) most are flagged but there are only a few films available.

There are very few titles with the EX flag (Atlantis has it R1, on the Dolby track but not the DTS track)

Feel free to leave on the back surrounds if you want as for some films it works well, on others not so well.

www.widescreenreview.com is worth checking as their reviews state whether the film is EX/ES or not, also whether it works well on normal 5.1 tracks.

Hope this helps

cheers

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Paul,

Some dts discs are marked as standard dts when they are in fact ES discreet or matrix. The DENON will detect a flag in the dts data stream and light the "SURROUND BACK CH SIGNAL DETECT" light.
    Dolby EX is a different matter. Alot of discs are marked as "EX" but have no flag and do not light the "SURROUND BACK CH SIGNAL DETECT" light.

The best compromise seems to be to set the "Auto Detect ES or EX" setting to "ON" then set "Non-Flag Source SBch Output" to "MTRX ON DTS ES".

This then will play dts ES discreet properly (because the flag is there and the amp will detect this and configure itself accordingly) and everything else (Dolby 5.1, dts 5.1, Dolby EX, dts ES Matrix) in ES matrix mode.

mark

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry Jase, you got there as i was typing in response!
    Mark

5. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    :D

Quick fingers this morning (no hangover!!)

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks Guys I knew someone would be able to explain it and nice to get a "stereo" answer :D
    Paul