Error handling of media files

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by lilac, Nov 26, 2010.

1. lilac

lilac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

I am out in the market looking for a networked media player. Amongst the features that I'm looking for, two are important:

• Error handling. Over the last several years, I have converted all of my video and audio collections into digital formats. However, I used a multitude of converters and rippers, resulting in the occasional errors cropping up in video and audio files. While my PC almost always handles the errors by 'continuing' to play after a slight jitter, I'm pretty unsure of how media players handle them.
    • SD to HD upscaling
    Will the kind folks here shed some light onto these two items, please?

2. dpstjp

dpstjp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    How do you know these are errors, and not just issue with bandwidth?

3. lilac

lilac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I'm not streaming. The video files play fine locally on my PC, and when it reaches a point where there's a problem, VLC or GOM Player merely stutters for a moment and then plays on.

But, when the files are played from a USB stick through a Pioneer DVD player the video gets stuck. The forward button doesn't help.

I guess it's to do with the way software and hardware handle errors.

So, I'm wondering how these specialized media players handle such errors in video?

• Are some players better than the other say Dune HD Base 3, AC Ryan PlayOn Mini?
    • Or is a particular chipset say Realtek better than Sigma?
    I apologize if the jargons I use are wrong.

Thank you.

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Its a strange request.... I've got an O!play (realtek) and can feed it files like 'killa' which is can't play but it just ploughs throught it. I've only got one file with a glitch in it and again it just carrys on as the PC. Thats not to say it will on all but it doesn't just stop in my experience.

I'm not sure anyone will have much to add to the questions because your stuff either plays or it doesn't. They don't tell you on screen it encountered a file error and how it handled it. You might be best off uploading a sample with the glitch to be tested ?

5. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    I get what you mean with bad encodes, software PC players do try to compensate for badly authored media.

However the situation is not the same in hardware media player land and your more likely to encounter visual artefact's or the player stops playing the file depending on how corrupted the media is. Sometimes a simple remux of the video into an MKV container using MKVmerge can help if the is a problem with the audio track or the video is missing certain data it can correct this during the muxing process.

There's no real way to know until you actually test your media.

Now this is a long shot and the player certainly has plenty of issues at the moment but the Boxee Box might (keep in mind I'm only guessing) fair better in this area as the Boxee Box is related to the Boxee PC player which is turn is descended from XBMC.

Or a better option is check if everything plays in XBMC if it does then go find a second hand AppleTV gen1 and install XBMC on that.