Question Error Code on Onkyo TX-NR686 NG: LCRSLSRBLBR what is wrong?

CPORetired

Novice Member
Reaction score
The Receiver is brand new. I powered it up and it first said See TV for set up. Then it started giving me this error code.

Why? Does that error code have something to do with speaker set-up? I have front, rear and center speakers connected.

It’s in protection mode, you need to determine the error

To check protection mode: what kind of protection it belongs to when NG channel is displayed such:
NG:LCRSLSRBLBR
NG__CH:LCRSLSRBLBR
1.Press the Enter button
2.Protect cause are displayed for 5 seconds.
DET.PROTECT:I(overcurrent)
DET.PROTECT:V(dc detected)

Is your amp free-standing with nothing on top and at least 6” clear on the sides?

Sounds like it is overheating and going into thermal protection. Try taking it out of the cabinet and setting it up again.

AVRs can generate a lot of heat and need good ventilation. If they are in enclosed spaces you often need fans to draw the heat away and bring cooler air in.

Onkyo finally answered and it is a internal problem with the receiver I cannot correct. Will have to return the receiver.

Aside from any errors you have at the moment, from my experience, Onkyo receivers run very hot and your top clearance may not be sufficient. I don't know about the new receivers but early ones had the HDMI board on the top, under the vents and the chips they use(d?) ran very hot, even when idling.

Many people, (including myself) used to adapt PC cooling fans and rig them up on top to help remove the heat. This did not save them though and there were many failures of the HDMI boards. Do a google search for Onkyo HDMI board failure and you will see.

That is the reason I would never buy an Onkyo again, because they were aware of the problems and never improved their design to overcome it. Whether things have been rectified in later models, I do not know.

I developed this problem while updating firmware. Found a solution on another site, which I would like to share for good order -
Press "Enter" and Power Button together. It will clear the NG error. The screen will display Amp-Dialogue/chk speaker wire error. Press CBL/SAT and the power button together. This error will be cleared too and you will be prompted to do the initial set up on the AVR.

I developed this problem while updating firmware. Found a solution on another site, which I would like to share for good order -
Press "Enter" and Power Button together. It will clear the NG error. The screen will display Amp-Dialogue/chk speaker wire error. Press CBL/SAT and the power button together. This error will be cleared too and you will be prompted to do the initial set up on the AVR.
I just wanted to thank you for this tip. I had been using an old A/V receiver while my Onkyo NR-676E sat on a shelf because of the NG error. I had just contacted a repair service and of course, they asked what the error message was. That's when I checked this site. I ran through your procedure and all the error messages cleared, but I had video and no audio. I ran a firmware update and everything is now great. Many thanks for the tip.

I had to register on here just to tell you that you are an absolute bloody genius! 2 months I've been trying to get the thing out of the error cycle. And all fixed in under a minute, thanks to you.

I will be raising a glass/saying a prayer for you tonight, whatever your preference may be.

Thank you so much. 👏👏👏👏😁

Thanks. This helped me also. I have spent 5 hours I think. At first caused by disconnected wires and must have caused a short. Then I tried using the mic to calibrate the speakers. Would go thru all 5.1 calibration and save. Minute I removed the mic woukd fever to the error Ng lcrslsr. Finally thanks to your post I was able to clear. Of course I could not find manual when I needed it ha

I just wanted to thank you for this tip. I had been using an old A/V receiver while my Onkyo NR-676E sat on a shelf because of the NG error. I had just contacted a repair service and of course, they asked what the error message was. That's when I checked this site. I ran through your procedure and all the error messages cleared, but I had video and no audio. I ran a firmware update and everything is now great. Many thanks for the tip.
Amazing! My unit broke down 4 years ago and have not been able to use it because of this error. This tip cleared the error within 10 seconds!! Thank you very much!

I had to register on here just to tell you that you are an absolute bloody genius! 2 months I've been trying to get the thing out of the error cycle. And all fixed in under a minute, thanks to you.

I will be raising a glass/saying a prayer for you tonight, whatever your preference may be.

Thank you so much. 👏👏👏👏😁
I have a question. Can firmware update be run while unit is in diagnostic mode?

We have had to do this about four times on our new warranty-replacement Onkyo TXNR-696 receiver since December; it always seems like the indicated fault on the display is completely unrelated to what's going on with the receiver, i.e., It's never been the speakers causing the issue even though that is what the receiver likes display when it fails.

Unit sits atop atop a AV stand with nothing beside or on top of it and it never gets hot and of course, when it happens we lose all settings -speakers have to be recalibrated, Kitchen/Zone 2 has to be reconfigured, et al.

We are considering retuning it to Best Buy for a refund and a warranty refund as well as it is becoming far too annoying.

Hello guys,

I went to calibration, the amp shut down. Putting it back on I got the message NG:L

I tried the ENTER+power, did not work. Then CABL+Power. Still did not clear ... What do you suggest ?

EXCELLENT, It worked!!!

Hallo Leute,

Ich ging zur Kalibrierung, der Verstärker schaltete sich ab. Als ich es wieder aufsetzte, erhielt ich die Meldung NG:L

Ich habe es mit ENTER+Power versucht, es hat nicht funktioniert. Dann CABL+Power. Immer noch nicht klar ... Was schlagen Sie vor?
Das volume muss auf 30 gestellt sein

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom