error code 006-0612 (cant play online with 3DS)

quidditys_shore

i need some help as i want to play mario kart online!

i thought nothing of it not connecting for an online game of street fighter (not that bothered about it on that one) but now i've got mario kart 7 i NEED to! LOL

i can do everything else on the 3DS (eshop, friends, notifications, updates) except play games :(
each time i try i get the error code 006-0612. i've searched & followed several intructions about changing settings on my router but nothing seems to work.
seems it could be the firewall on my SMC router, but are told to add the 3DSs IP to the DMZ, however there are no clear instructions!

anyone else had similar problems?

if it helps, i've added the AVF community onto mario kart but each time i join it says no-one is on & i cant post a message

addyb

Distinguished Member
Not sure about the router mate but the community will say no one is on. I created it so should there be a massive number of us interested it would be a good central hub for us all to meet and get some games in. As it stands at present we are all just joining each others games.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member

vinvader

Have you got it working yet Quiddity? On my friends list the option to join your game was lit but you weren't among the race line up.

quidditys_shore

Follow the instructions on this post: http://www.avforums.com/forums/15934211-post69.html

Seems to work for everyone that's tried it, as in, no games, but everything else works.

i've tried that but still not working :(

on my SMC router under DMZ there are 2 columns, public ip address (which already had something in it) & client pc ip address. which one should the 3DSs ip be in? :confused:

Have you got it working yet Quiddity? On my friends list the option to join your game was lit but you weren't among the race line up.

no, but funnily though i've had about 30 people added to my plaza as having met in mario kart! dont know if this is when i'm connecting or through the ghost data that i've been sent

however i have played 1 race online! turned of my router & put my phone on 3G with wifi hotspot. worked perfectly! this is great for out & about but not ideal for when at home

vinvader

no, but funnily though i've had about 30 people added to my plaza as having met in mario kart! dont know if this is when i'm connecting or through the ghost data that i've been sent

however i have played 1 race online! turned of my router & put my phone on 3G with wifi hotspot. worked perfectly! this is great for out & about but not ideal for when at home

Everyone you play against on Mario Kart get added to your plaza. You can't use them for the puzzles or quest so it's a bit pointless apart from filling up the plaza.

So is your 'Mario Kart Channel' working through your router or was the 'ghost data' added when you were connected through your phone?

quidditys_shore

The channel worse through the router & the plaza people were there before I played online through my phone.
Everything works except playing online. Even tried street fighter again but still cant get a game with that :(

addyb

Distinguished Member
And did you say it works fine when you tether your phone as a hotspot? If so then its definitely a router issue. What kind of router did you say you had?

quidditys_shore

Yeah, turn off the router & use the 3g on my phone.

Got an smc barricade. Will get the model later. Never really had a problem before however I do recall playing online with the wii & having a few connection issues

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
i've tried that but still not working :(

on my SMC router under DMZ there are 2 columns, public ip address (which already had something in it) & client pc ip address. which one should the 3DSs ip be in? :confused:

Client it goes in(from memory).

bareed235

Standard Member
I used to have errors everytime I try to play online on Mario Kart 7. Sometimes it said (a communication error has occurred) and other times (error code 006-0612).

But I finally found a solution to this problem. I simply changed the Security Mode for the wireless on my router to (WEP 64 bit) and IT WORKED! I have just finished my first Mario Kart 7 online race!

I hope it works for you! :)

quidditys_shore

well i FINALLY got it to work!

just kept trying for hours with all sorts of codes until i finally had a race. now i just need to learn to win!

addyb

Distinguished Member
well i FINALLY got it to work!

just kept trying for hours with all sorts of codes until i finally had a race. now i just need to learn to win!

Nice one matey. Off topic but sent you a msg on the 3DS regarding doa. If you read it send me a pm via here as it will be easier.

bareed235

Standard Member
I have to correct my previous solution! The Security Mode for the wireless on the router doesn't have to be (WEP 64 bit) to make MK7 online works! The thing is that whenever I put a password on the wireless that contains only numbers, MK7 online doesn't work and gives me an error! But when I tried to make the password contain a capital letter, a small letter and numbers (for example: Aa1234567) MK7 connects with no errors, and I play online with no problems! So it doesn't matter if my wireless Security Mode is (WEP 64 bit) or (WPA).. I just had to make the password as I said.

As strange as that sounds.. It did work for me! It might be a glitch in my router.. I don't know.. But it doesn't harm anyone to try it anyways!
I wrote this for whoever searched and tried everything without any good result.. Because I searched A LOT and tried everything.. until I discovered this and wanted to share it with everyone..

I really hope it works for you!

Last edited:

staggly

Standard Member
Hi all,

I also am having major problems playing online on Mario Kart - I have a wireless router II and the settings do not allow me to out somwthing in the DMZ (at least to the best of my knowledge) - does anyone have an o2 router fix - is driving me mad....

any help greatly appreciated....

Kind regards

Paul

benny

I went into router settings (belkin) via lap top, and put the mac address of 3DS into the router as an allowed device, and works everytime now.
Before doing that it would connect to e-shop but not zen pinball leaderboards or mariokart 7 online play.
Seems all good since, fingers crossed.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom