Error 814 appearing when trying to connect to the internet after laptop crashed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SheriffBurglar, Sep 14, 2010.

1. SheriffBurglar

SheriffBurglar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After sorting my laptop out after it had crashed I've tried getting back onto the internet but with no luck. I entered my ISP password and username as prompted but got the following error message:

Connecting through WAN miniport (PPPoE)...

Error 814: the underling Ethernet connectivity required for the broadband connection was not found. Please install and enable the Ethernet adapter on your computer via the network connections folder before attempting this connection.

I phoned my ISP to see if they could help, they said it was something to do with the NIC driver (at least I think that’s what they said) and that I’d have to contact the company I bought the laptop from [Dell].

Is this necessary? Can someone please guide me with regards to this?

Thank you

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    Get onto the Dell drivers download page Here and find what is available for your laptop. Download the Network driver - I have for example gone for a Dell Latitude 131L and the following downloads are available for it - Latitude 131L. Scroll down to the 'Network (6)' button and then open it. Then select the 'Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller' as this should be the required LAN/NIC driver. Copy it to a USB stick and then install it on the laptop. Reboot and hopefully you will then be able to get on the internet with a wired connection. You can then download any other drivers that you require.

Obviously you need to select the correct model from the above link as what I found was just an example of what you are looking for.

If you have the recovery CD's that came with the laptop, or perhaps the recovery partition on the HD then you should be able to get all the drivers off there rather than downloading them.

Mark.

3. SheriffBurglar

SheriffBurglar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have the recovery CD's and will check this out when I can and will also check the recovery partition on the HD of my laptop.

I don't presently have a USB stick though I'm sure I can borough one if I don't manage to buy one soon as I really need to sort this out.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 (Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit) and the only driver for wired internet I can spot is the Marvell 88E80XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller. Do you think this will be OK for this model if I don't manage to sort this out with the use of the recovery CD's or via the recovery partition on the HD?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    Yes the 88E00XX is the network card on your laptop. So download that driver and install it and you will hopefully be able to get on the internet with it hard wired.

Mark.

5. SheriffBurglar

SheriffBurglar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark.

I tried the recovery CD's that came with my laptop and tried the recovery partition as well but to be honest with you I didn't really have a clue what I was doing. I even tried CTRL+F11 when powering on but had no luck with this as nothing was happening.

Which disc should I be using as there are three? There's one for preparing the hard drive, one for Windows Vista and one for drivers and utilities.

And then what do I do after inserting the disc?

I'm not really sure how to do the USB thing either as I've never actually used one before. I'm sure it's not that difficult but if needs be can you instruct me just in case and if necessary?

Sorry to sound so clueless but I thought I'd ask as much as possible instead of having to go back and forth to my local libraries computers I'm presently using.

I've just sent off for a USB stick by the way, hopefully this will arrive fairly soon. If it doesn't I'll contacted one of my brother to see if he's got a spare one knocking about somewhere.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    As you already have Windows installed ok (I assume) then you should just be able to put the Drivers & Utillities CD in and get what you want off that.
    My only experience with Dell is at work and we always use our own Norton Ghost images with our own software etc. So all I can suggest is put the CD in the drive and hopefully it will auto run a program and walk you through the restore of any drivers and/or utillitis you want to put on the laptop.
    The USB flash drive will just appear as a removable HDD in Windows. You can then just drag & drop files on/off it. So with the network driver you just download it on another PC, copy to the USB drive and then plug it into the laptop and run the program.

Mark.

7. SheriffBurglar

SheriffBurglar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Mark, that doesn't sound too difficult. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  8. SheriffBurglar

SheriffBurglar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm back online and using my laptop! Managed the Drivers and Utilities CD with no bother.

All I need now is to sort anti virus, etc. Will get this sorted straight away.

Thanks for your help Mark, most appreciated.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    I bet you are pleased to have it all working again and at least you now know how to get the laptop back to full health should anything else go wrong in the future :thumbsup:

Mark.

10. SheriffBurglar

SheriffBurglar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, too true! :smashin: