• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Error 8002A548 Router Problem

swooshboy

Standard Member
I am continually being signed out of the PSN whenever attempting to play online and wanted to get some advice from people who understand networking far more than myself...so basically that's everyone. I do not experience any problems with either internet browsing or downloading. I have an 8mb internet connection and use the devolo highspeed homeplugs.

I tried connecting my PS3 directly to the modem (via the homeplugs) and this solution worked fine with zero disconnects. As soon as I introduced the router (which I need to share the broadband with my pc) I was back to being disconnected after about 5 mins.

I have tried with both the Belkin 4 Port Router and a Sitecom 4 Port Router and configured port forwarding (and tried placing the PS3 in the DMZ) but this has not helped solve the problem.

One question I have is would it make any difference trying a different router? I have heard that the Belkin wired routers are not great for online gaming. A friend has recommended the Netgear wired router - would this possibly make a difference?

Also, if anyone else has any ideas then please share them!

Cheers all.

H

HEC

Putting your PS3 in DMZ usually solves the connectivity problems - if not there could be something else in the setup of the router making the problems.

What type of NAT is reported by PS3 when you'll perform the Internet Connection Test?

swooshboy

Standard Member
Putting your PS3 in DMZ usually solves the connectivity problems - if not there could be something else in the setup of the router making the problems.

What type of NAT is reported by PS3 when you'll perform the Internet Connection Test?

I get NAT 2, although UPnP is not available (despite enabling it on both the PS3 and the router).

Having tried two different makes of router (belkin and sitecom), is it worth trying someone like Netgear? Would that have any chance of making a difference?

H

HEC

UPnP should be indeed enabled as well - then you don't even need to include the PS3 in DMZ.

If you can borrow some other router it would be benefficial to test it to see if there is any improvement. Or you can buy one from retailer where you can return in case it will not help - like Argos or Maplin.

But it could be also problem with your internet provider - there might be either some port blocking or throtling active affecting your connectivity althouhg you've mentioned that it's fine when PS3 is connected directly so it's a small chance.

swooshboy

Standard Member
UPnP should be indeed enabled as well - then you don't even need to include the PS3 in DMZ.

If you can borrow some other router it would be benefficial to test it to see if there is any improvement. Or you can buy one from retailer where you can return in case it will not help - like Argos or Maplin.

But it could be also problem with your internet provider - there might be either some port blocking or throtling active affecting your connectivity althouhg you've mentioned that it's fine when PS3 is connected directly so it's a small chance.

Cheers for your suggestions.

I'm going to give a netgear router a try. If that makes no difference, then I am absolutely stumped as to how to solve my problem.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

swooshboy

Standard Member
Well - then only other solution would be to try another amke / model of the ruter. Have you also tried to connect the PS3 directly to the cable modem?

I have updated the firmware of the router which had no effect.

When I connected my PS3 to the modem (via the devolo homeplugs) it worked flawlessly without any disconnects.

So I am thinking the problem exists with the router. My instinct (which is not based on any knowledge) is that it is related to the fact that UPnP shows up as not available, despite being enabled on the PS3 and the router.

Any thoughts?

H

HEC

Are you using DHCP / Automatic IP address? Sometimes it might help to simply assign the IP address manually instead (or vice versa) ...

swooshboy

Standard Member
Are you using DHCP / Automatic IP address? Sometimes it might help to simply assign the IP address manually instead (or vice versa) ...

I think I have DHCP enabled on the router, but I have given the PS3 a IP address that remains the same - 192.168.0.3 (the router is 192.168.0.1).

I have read someone suggesting assigning the PS3 an IP address outside of the routers 'normal' range - would this help?

Also, in the network settings on the PS3, it states that the router IP address is as above, and also uses this number for the Primary DNS. It doesn't list any number for the Secondary DNS - should there be a second number here?

Cheers,

swooshboy

Standard Member
Oops - I meant to post a resolution in this thread!

I managed to fix my problem only by contacting the manufacturers of the router. I switched to a Sitecom 4 port router, and was having the same problems as outlined above.

I sent an email to their support department, and was sent through a firmware patch for my router. This was different to the latest one they had on thier website.

Having run the firmware update, I have not had any problems with connecting and staying connected to the PSN.

So I still do not know exactly what the problem was, but I do recommend people contacting the support sites of their routers if they are having similar problems.

Cheers all and happy new year!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom