error 74

B

barrymorri

my son has just got the error 74 up on the xbox.
the red light only shows when the av cable is connected to ebox or when connected to xbox and the tv, is this normal for this error or could it just be the av cable?. bought it from hmv 15 month ago.
thanks for your time:smashin:

Could be the cable but is most likely a graphics card failure. I've had this before...

Try unplugging everything and reconnecting everything. If that doesn't work you'll need to contact MS.

A trip to the repair centre is on the cards possibly... It's not covered as RROD so if you 360 is over 12 months old it'll cost to fix... around £60 from what I hear.

my son has just got the error 74 up on the xbox.
the red light only shows when the av cable is connected to ebox or when connected to xbox and the tv, is this normal for this error or could it just be the av cable?. bought it from hmv 15 month ago.
thanks for your time:smashin:
Did you have any weird lines before you got this error i.e blue or green lines.

Or notice anything odd with the graphics in any way?

Did you have any weird lines before you got this error i.e blue or green lines.

Or notice anything odd with the graphics in any way?

he was complaining about a bad picture the day before. like a poor analogue picture with the colour.
and Holding the sync button, then pressing eject 4 times brings the lights flashing
1 4 2 2 .

Borrow a cable small chance it could be that with it being E74, but 9/10 times its the graphics card.

MS want £80... personally id sell the broken xbox on ebay (should get around £30) and buy a cheap arcade and put your harddrive on it.

when i rang them they asked what error was coming up on screen ,i told them error 74,
if i ring them again and say its 4 lights what error appears on screen.?
i wonder , will they have a log of the last phone call?.

when i rang them they asked what error was coming up on screen ,i told them error 74,

Did you give your account details or anything to link it to you?

I asked a mate who knows about hardware stuff and he says 'just send back saying RROD, but doesnt happen straight away and they will fix it.'

Nothing to loose, if they sus me out, they will just ship it back untouched, then i may get an Elite, as everything else under my tv is black. sell the E74 360 on ebay, should get £30 as posted. Also my 120 drive should fetch quite abit and white controllers.

yes i had this error e74. i repaired it using 8 pennies sat on the ana chip works a treat now

If they recieve it and it's showing an E74, even if you told them 3RROD then they WILL charge you.

If they recieve it and it's showing an E74, even if you told them 3RROD then they WILL charge you.

No they wont, they will just send it back, how can they charge me if they dont have any payment details.

And they cannot just keep it cos its my property.

No they wont, they will just send it back, how can they charge me if they dont have any payment details.

And they cannot just keep it cos its my property.
Well, yes of course they'll need you to actually accept to pay for the repair. What I'm saying is they won't repair an E74 for free.

Most likely be the GPU or (h)Ana chip, repairable at least, if its still in the 3 years RROD force it to 3 red rings then book it in online. :smashin:

Well, yes of course they'll need you to actually accept to pay for the repair. What I'm saying is they won't repair an E74 for free.

They will if you report it as having the RROD fault and they don't test it. I got my E74 console repaired for free a few weeks back so try it - you've nothing to lose.
But as you said, they won't repair E74 for free if it is reported as that.

Chris

Last edited:
They will if you report it as having the RROD fault and they don't test it. I got my E74 console repaired for free a few weeks back so try it - you've nothing to lose.
But as you said, they won't repair E74 for free if it is reported as that.

Chris
The supervisor on the phone told me that regardless of what the error is reported as, if the engineers turn it on and it shows an E74, they will charge for the repair. He was absolutely adament this was the case now.

The supervisor on the phone told me that regardless of what the error is reported as, if the engineers turn it on and it shows an E74, they will charge for the repair. He was absolutely adament this was the case now.

How can they charge if you dont give them any payment details?

Even if you have credit card details stored on your XBOX Live account, i'm sure its illegal for them to just take money out without your say so.

There's a statement, in the reporting sequence, that says something like, 'If your console is not valid for repair under the conditions it will be returned to you without repair'

Also i dont think they can 'hold it to ransom', till you DO pay up, as its your equipment.

Yep, I was told the same story. Also told me that if they sent it back unrepaired I would be charged for the postage - I told them it's their problem if they decided to send it to Germany - Xbox customer support isn't bothered.
I decided not to bother risking it.
Simon

ok im here for that too e74 error code 1422 yes it did has line and bad graphics what does that mean?

ok so if they charge lets say i send in mine (its modded will they do anything other than charge me if so i wont send it maybe try the pennies trick or the towel tick but i dont know the error if its the gpu or the ana/hana how do i figure it out

i have been toying with the idea of putting a hard glue on the HANA chip to keep it held in place, anyone else tried that yet?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom