Error 74 once but now ok, console on its way out?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by semiskimmed, Feb 11, 2009.

1. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    i had a E74 error last night with a message on the screen telling me to contact customer services etc. but i turned the machine off and then back on and its been fine since. i did move the tv earlier that day though so coudl that be the reason i got the error or is my console on its way out?
    this is the first time ive had any problems too, any help or reassurance would be great

cheers

2. thariq

thariq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    mate its on its way out, is it under 1 year ? if so send it back to MS

3. knight2000uk

knight2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The only reason why your E74 has gone "for now" is because the solder balls have set after the console has cooled down, once it gets to the point of overheating again, you will experience screen freezes or glitchy graphics with foreign objects and or an E74 error and at the worst 3 red rings.
    without any preventative measures like talismoon whisper max fans and there special heatsink they provide for the hana chipset along with full board reflow and new thermal paste, its most probable your E74 will come back, if its in warranty get it repaired if its not expect a £89 bill from MS if i recall correct.

Stu

4. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    thanks for replies.
    damn, was hoping maybe i would get away with it, but looks like i wont now :(
    i will be giving it a good run over the weekend to see if i can get it to do the same before i contact MS, i dont want to be charged for them to get it back and for it to appear without fault.
    also, once theyve had it, does the problem come back or is it fixed for good?
    i wish i got a ps3 now :(

5. knight2000uk

knight2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The problems are becoming less each year, go ps3 and you will most likely end up back with a xbox 360 as i find the overall gaming experience better with a 360, as most have said its the year of E74 this year rather than RROD.
    It doesn't matter what console you have really eventually parts will need to be renewed :)
    Not like the old master system i have still going strong haha
    Stu

6. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    just contacted MS and apparently my xbox is out of warranty, funny since i only bought it last may :/
    they need a receipt with the serial number printed on it and all sorts from me, which i doubt very much i can get from comet?
    how the hell can the warranty be out if ive not even had it a year yet... :mad:

7. thariq

thariq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    mate I would have been cheeky and said it got rrod and they recently have been swopping them without even opening the old one

8. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    If you got it from Comet you get 2years repair warranty from them, that was the line when they wouldn't replace my 11month old console.

If you go to a Comet store and are willing to let them send it to MS you will get a free repair, not the best solution really, but you wont get a replacement from Comet no matter how much of the SOGA you quote to them.

This year is the e74 year, I got one. I think MS have reduced the risk of RRoD but not the risk of e74 so you get the e74 instead of the RRoD.

9. KnightWolf

KnightWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm a member of the E74 club with the 1 red light that comes with it, i thought the Falcons are meant to be better, i have replaced the X clamp and cut out the X on the metal case under it to keep it cooler but it keeps coming back, is there anything else i can try?:lease: