Error 691, looking for help please.

jerryjal

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am currently away in the USA and staying with my father in law until Thursday morning.

I have bought a set of Netgear Poweline adapters so he can have a wired set up with his desktop, his router is in the front room and desktop is in the back room.

I set the plugs up and turned the machine on, tried to connect but it keeps throwing up error 691 and mentions a wrong username/password.

As far as he knows he does not have a username/password for the router he just has the wep key.

Any ideas how I can solve this before I have to leave?

It is a Gateway AT&T router, I have enclosed a couple of pictures.

Many thanks in advance.

Jerry
ImageUploadedByAVForums1397608177.313265.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1397608195.861848.jpg

Looks like this is trying to connect to a VPN and I'm guessing the machine is on Windows 7... If you go to the Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings on the left it should list currently setup network connections and adapters... What does it list?

The only connection in there required is probably named as Local Area Connection but I wouldn't just delete all of them!!! Also if you go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab you want to remove any dial up network and VPN settings in there.

Hi and thanks for the info, I don't know what I have done but the home plugs now no longer appear in the connection options.

This is so frustrating and I'm running out of time. All the lights are solid on both plugs as they should be, when I set mine up at home they were just plug and play. :(

ImageUploadedByAVForums1397665443.527606.jpg

Great, thanks for the info.

The Sprint SmartView software would be if using a mobile / cell phone to access the internet so I'm pretty sure it's not going to be anything with that. From the image you sent, it looks like your getting a connection with the router? Are you able to browse any pages? or is it straight away coming up with the 691 error?

Yeah, the wireless connection is working perfectly. It was only when we attempted to connect the Powerline adapters that the error 691 came up.

We have spent a few hours trying to fix the issue and my father in laws patience has finally worn out, the adapters are now back in the box and are going to be returned to BestBuy. He will just have to put up with the flaky wireless.

Thanks once again for all of the help, it has been appreciated.

Jerry

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom