Error: 408bc504

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Andris L, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Andris L

Andris L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    OK, few days ago I got my Toshiba HD-E1. So far I didn’t had a chance to sit down and watch any HD movie however I received 2 new HD-DVD’s today and had a quick go to check what PQ and sound are in movies ( I got Sahara and Friday Night Lights). When I was skipping scenes on Friday Night Lights I got to scene where guy takes home this girl and they having a wee go in living room :D and then guy's father shows up and in this part when they start to talk I got error 408bc504 on my screen. I tried several times and error came up almost every time. There was a time or few when I managed to get pass error but then it went totally out of sync (can’t even say it was out of sync, it just was terrible and I even don’t know how to describe it, basically sound went up to arse).

In beginning I thought it something wrong with disk but after checking and cleaning it (just in a case) I realized that disk is in good condition… Came here on AV Forums and searched for error 408bc504 and got several threads where peeps mentioning issue with Tosh players and this error. Also searched on Google and checked several other forums… Some saying its problem with disks (there are several movies reported) but looks like majority thinks that its issue with players not disks and I have to say that I’m with majority and blaming Tosh player. Why? Because I tried to play the same scene from Friday Night Lights on my 360’s drive and it was playing perfectly, I couldn’t see even minor glitch so it just proves that Tosh is a bit ****** up.

It’s very sad because I was buying Tosh in a hope I will get something special and good but looks like my el cheapo 360’s drive is more up for job than piece of kit costing twice as much. Only hope there is that some day Toshiba will fix it via firmware update :rolleyes:.

2. google

google

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    Not that this will probably help in any way but is the Firmware 1.3? Might be worth trying to download or get disc for this or wait until 1.5 comes out shortly and get that?

3. Andris L

Andris L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687

Yea I got v1.3 firmware installed... now all hopes on v1.5 :rolleyes:.

4. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    I have had this error 3 times so far, on Children Of Men, Hollywoodland & Smokin' Aces so I put it down to them being Universal Combos but it seems there are other problem discs. Hoping this is sorted soon :lesson: as it so frustrating when your half why through watching a film and this error appears :suicide:

5. Andris L

Andris L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    I had a play with Friday Night Lights… Error is coming up exactly in the same place all the time so what I did is I fast forwarded just before it should stop with error and it skips the “broken” part. OK I’m loosing like 5-10s of movie but it’s better than not see like half movie or so.

KevD try this tactic on your disks and see if you can get pass error ;).

6. CarbonToe

CarbonToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had it twice, both with Combo disks (Children of Men and Smokin' Aces).

As far as I'm aware there is an issue with the disks and not the player.

I'm still awaiting returned disks from Movietyme.

7. Andris L

Andris L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687

It’s very winded up and sometime I don’t know what to think and believe… Regarding Children of Men I would like to believe that it's problem with disk and that there was some issues in production process as a lot of people reported playback problems with this particular movie but then again if you for example have a look here you can see that they had issues to play this movie on 360’s add on but it was playing fine on XA2.

So if it’s a problem with disk then how come it's not playing on one device but plays fine on another? Also when I did search on Google I seen some information that Microsoft admitted that there is a hardware issues regards to Children of Men and it will be fixed by next firmware update.

Also in my case I have playback issues with Friday Night Lights on my E1 but as I mentioned before it plays fine on 360’s add on…

Anyway it’s up to everyone individually what to believe and what to not but I personally think that’s more to do with players not disks but also could be a case where both affected.

P.S. Also some of you might blame disk if it will not play but did you ever check it on several devices? If you have only one HD-DVD device at home then it would be very hard to judge whose fault it is – player or disk!

8. BrainFreeze

BrainFreeze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been playing HD-DVD's to my hearts content including some combos on my Toshiba HD-E1. Watched Hollywoodland, We Were Soldiers and The Departed all without problems - mind you I'd avoided updating my firmware for a couple of months.

So today I upgraded to V1.5 (Think I was on V1.3 before this - there were 36parts to be downloaded - I remember that much) and stuck on The Good Shepherd. Lo and behold what do I get with 20 mins of the film left - Error 408bc504. Not only that but I noticed that the menus were stickier and my Toshiba was taking longer to warm up.

9. mikehb

mikehb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Have only 2 combo discs, departed & happy feet both working fine thru my E1 with v1.5

10. Manmc

Manmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Just had this message on only 2 discs , Midnight Run and Disc 1 of Planet Earth :( The worst offender was Digital Video Essentials which locked . froze and left an image stuck on my lcd even after rebooting the player !!

~M~

11. kmark40

kmark40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    This has just happened to me for the 1st time. Halfway through 300.:mad: I have V2.0 FW and the disc is a combo

12. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Same here....300 the culprit. :(

13. kmark40

kmark40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Sent mine back to MT on the day that it happened. Waiting for the BD version from them :)

14. YooEntSinMe

YooEntSinMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That doesn't sound good. Just got 300. Only had chance to watch the 1st 1/2 hour. It better not crap out halfway through when I get to watch it on Sunday.

15. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Can't remember exactly what chapter it was...it was either 14 or 17. The film was playing fine and I thought I'd flick through the scenes and then it all went pear-shaped. :suicide:

16. neilmac1971

neilmac1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had my XE1 about 8 weeks now and my US disc of "The Departed" works now and again, but tried "The Matrix" tonight and got about an hour into the first movie and then i get the dreaded "408bc504" message and the same on "Matrix Revolutions". This really isnt acceptable, I have not updated the firmware on my player since I have had it as most people on here seem to be getting the problem after updating to the latest firmware as well. Whilst the picture on the XE1 is fantastic when a film works, the errors on what now seems like many discs clearly must be addressed by Toshiba. I bought a PS3 from the States recently purely for Blu-Ray playback, and have updated the firmware to the latest and not a single problem with any Blu Ray disc I have tried. I now have about 20 or so HD-DVDs and so far at least 5 of them have problems during playback! I realise as an "early adopter" you take your chances but when you spend almost £500 on a player and around £20 on a movie, you at least expect to be able to watch them without errors.

17. YooEntSinMe

YooEntSinMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well I can't remember if it was this error code that I received earlier today after firing up my new XE1 today (post 2.0 update). However some sort of error code came up on screen when trying to play Matrix Reloaded.
    I gave the disc a quick clean. Then stuck it back in........played no problem.
    Although I've not had chance to watch a movie all the way through yet to see if I get any error codes.

18. RJay

RJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Same here.... 300 combo at about chapter 14 :mad:

Damn im f*cking annoyed grrrrrrrrrrr

19. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Excuse my ignorance, but isn't the latest firmware available for the E1 revision 2.0? I find it hard to imagine it isn't since that's the release that provides support for network interactivity, and I can't understand why Toshiba wouldn't make it available to you when you are almost certainly going to need it (Blood Diamond, 300, Smoking Aces).

Could someone please fill me in on this?

20. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    I've said this a few times, but I don't think it's a combo problem. I had a similar fault with 'Children of Men', but it was the UK version which isn't a combo!

Here's the solution I used. I know it's worked for others.

On 'CoM' when it freezes, click 'PREV' to take you to the start of the chapter. Not the next chapter, but the one you've already watched. It means watching a minute or so of footage again.

The disc then plays right through, not freezing up when it gets to the same point.

Sorry, I didn't see any error code on the player (it sits behind me), and I can't remember any on the screen.

BTW, why do people continue to think this is due to combos. If you think about it, that makes no sense at all.

How could it being a combo effect playback?

The glue failing?

Okay, but how could the glue starting to fail cause different discs to freeze up at exactly the same spot?

Steve W

21. kmark40

kmark40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    the error code appears on the player and screen. All buttons freeze. It doesn't sound like the same problem.

22. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    Cheers.

The question still remains. How can 'glue failure' (the only real reason proposed for combos failing) cause everyone's discs to cause this error code to appear at exactly the same point?

Steve W

23. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    OK, I just noticed YooEntSinMe has updated their XE1 to 2.0. So 2.0 is definitely available for the E1 and EP10 as well.

People who are running earlier revisions of software and experiencing playback problems with HD DVD titles should definitely update their players to revision 2.0 and try again. Various playback defects have been corrected over time and those corrections are embodied in 2.0. Many complaints people are experiencing may well be solved simply by taking that step!

Further, as I already mentioned, 2.0 extends the ability of the players to interactive internet support for the latest titles (as in my quote above.) In addition, it corrects the color CUE problem present with the earlier FW releases.

24. RJay

RJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I had never had a problem with any disc.I updated to v2.0 and got the problem with 300 :(

Wish I had tried it b4 updating.

25. kmark40

kmark40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I had V2.0 when the error occurred.

26. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Some people in the U.S. have had to return their copies of 300 for replacements in order to correct the problem. The indication is that it's another combo associated issue -- most people don't hit it.

PS. There's currently no reason to believe having an earlier FW version avoids the issue.

27. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    As I understand it.

Presumably they used a different sort of glue on the replacements of 'CoM'.

Presumably the manufacturers didn't learn the lesson from 'CoM' and used the old sort of glue on '300', reserving several thousand copies using the new glue for those requiring replacements.

Presumably the firmware updates teach players how to recognise the different sorts of glue.

Or maybe a lot of people are not actually thinking about this.

Is there are chance we can remove our collective heads from up our collective backsides on this, because people appear to be prepared to believe the first press release we get.

Steve W

28. Donali

Donali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I was watching Miami Vice (The US combo) and received this error. First time was about 1hr 40 mins. I skipped back a chapter and it played fine until 2hrs 9 mins. I had to reboot the E1 but playback was a little jerky from 2hrs 9 mins till the end. Hopefully the next update will cure this headache. :mad:

29. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I picked up a used copy of Miami Vice from an Amazon seller (supposed to be "like new" however it had scratches on both sides and at least one nick on both sides and seemingly indelible fingerprints on the HD side -- not bad for "like new", eh? :rolleyes:).

However, I cleaned it before playing (fingerprints survived :confused:) and it played fine on both my HDV5000 (A1 equivalent) and my A2. That's actually an older title relative to 2.0 and should be OK (most people never had a problem with it), though I guess you never know if a future FW might help. If you haven't tried cleaning it, make sure you give it a good going over.

30. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Sorry to be ignorant, but I'm not sure what your press release reference is regarding? A little help please :)?

If it did turn out to be borderline glue, I wouldn't be that surprised if the involved replicator prefers to use up his old glue supply before switching to the new (save the cost) -- he probably rightly figures only a small percentage of people are impacted and the studio can cope with that. I.E. it sounds like a business-as-usual kind of situation :(!

I was wondering if it was a question of the evenness of glue distribution (thickness variation). Since light doesn't have to pass through it for the back to back combo design, transmissiveness shouldn't be an issue. It's probably just a question of statistics where most of the population falls within tolerances, but some small precentage doesn't. To just ship anyway doesn't seem like a good solution when you know for a fact a percentage of consumers will have problems :(.

I wonder if they started off using the same glue as for DVD18 and have had to change, or if they were using something else, and have to change back. If it isn't a problem for DVD18, you would think that whatever solution worked there would also apply to HD DVD combo.