Error 3 On Tag AV32R 7.1 Ex... please help!

P Adams

Hi all

I had a nasty shock this morning! My AV32R screen showed Error 3. After calling the IAG helpdesk I was given the advice to turn the unit off. Press and hold the 'digital', 'THX' and 'right arrow' buttons on the front panel and then press the power button on.

I was told to do this and then let go of the three buttons and press the 'normal' button to reset everything. This should have taken everything back to standard defaults.

I couldn't even get past the three button pressing. The error 3 just wouldn't delete. I have had the unit for four years without any problems. It is connected to a Rotel RMB1075 power amp and I mainly leave it on standby and it is well ventilated.

Please has anyone any advice for a very frustrated AppleMac graphic designer!

Many thanks

PA

PeterG

Standard Member
Hi PA,
The error code 3 indicates that the memory used by the microcontroller has errors in it. A master reset should re-write the memory and fix it, unless the memory or something related to it is broken.

Try it again, and if it doesn't work :( ...

Master reset:
1. Turn power off
2. hold down on front panel ‘digital’, ‘thx cinema’ and ‘>’ keys
3. While holding down the 3 keys switch unit on
4. On display will be the word "EEPROM"
5. Now release ‘digital’, ‘thx cinema’ and ‘>’ keys
6. Press the "normal" button.

Stevesky

Novice Member
No it won't! :devil: Error 3 is SDRAM failure which is kinda bad news. Either the RAM has failed or there is a bad joint on the board. Maybe Kevin at AudioCellar might be up for having a butchers at this one...

Steve

PS. Doing an eeprom reset (the three fingered salute) only fixes quirky EEPROM corruption issues (AV32SP only, not DP/192R). An Error 3 will never get fixed by this as this is a fault at a very fundamental level.

P Adams

Thanks very much for your help

Has anyone out there had this problem with their AV32r SP and survived! What course of action did you take? An SDRAM failure sounds expensive. AudioCellar sounds an interesting option

PA

P Adams

My AV32R is now being lovingly cared for by Kevin at AudioCellar. I will let the Forum know how everything turns out!

PA

P Adams

Hi all

Sorry about the delay in replying. I have just returned from the USA touring some National Parks in Arizona and Utah!

Kevin did a wonderful job before I went away and replaced the memory chip and my AV32R is now singing sweetly again. I would not hesitate to recommend Kevin. He was extremely interesting and my father who took my unit up to him found him to be a gentleman. Both being like minded engineers I think my father could have stayed all day!

Once again thanks for the forum members advice in the first instance

PA

:thumbsup: